Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can use PremierAccess lane when flying another carrier?

Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

I'm wondering if anyone knows the policy on using the PremierAccess line at security if you are flying another carrier, but have PremierAccess privilege? JetBlue and UA shared a security checkpoint. My BP was for JetBlue. Could I have shown my PremierAccess card to use the short line? or do line dragons only accept BPs?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:55 am

I haven't had to do this recently, but yes, you can show your MP card. The person controlling the entry into the line just wants to make sure you have a boarding pass and that you're elite. Show your MP card clearly. Once you reach the end of the line, where you show your ID, it no longer matters if you have premier access.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I'll go one step further and say that most line minders don't care about the BP, only that you can provide proof of your status. Back when UA and AC were sharing the A1 pier in EWR, I'd use my MP silver card to get into the elite line at security when flying AC, and the maroon morons wouldnt give me a second look. I think I also did the same at the D/E checkpoint in PHL prior to elite reciprocity between UA & CO.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: Platinum
It works at PDX if we have to fly Seaport. We show our elite card to get through. Unfortunately no PreCheck for K5
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:31 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Critic
I'll go one step further and say that most line minders don't care about the BP, only that you can provide proof of your status. Back when UA and AC were sharing the A1 pier in EWR, I'd use my MP silver card to get into the elite line at security when flying AC, and the maroon morons wouldnt give me a second look. I think I also did the same at the D/E checkpoint in PHL prior to elite reciprocity between UA & CO.
As long as my BP has ***Premier Access*** printed on it (and *G for that matter), I never show my card. Never had a problem before.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
As long as my BP has ***Premier Access*** printed on it (and *G for that matter), I never show my card. Never had a problem before.
The OP's situation is different. He doesn't have 'Premier Access' on his BP.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've had no problem using my 1K card to access the DL elite lines @ LGA. Saved at least 30 minutes waiting in line, and skipped the NoS ^
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:59 am

In my experience, the line dragons will accept your Premier Access card, even if its not printed on your BP. I had this issue a couple of times, when LH (or other) didn't manage to print *G (but UAP) on my BP.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've had no problem using my 1K card to access the DL elite lines @ LGA. Saved at least 30 minutes waiting in line, and skipped the NoS ^
I've started buying refundable tickets on DL to get access to Precheck where DL is the only checkpoint (by terminal) with the feature - works great at FLL when flying Air Canada. Saves time and simplifies screening.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I usually show my Premier Gold card when going through security at BOS Terminal C and traveling with Jetblue. They always let me use the Premier Access lane.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've started buying refundable tickets on DL to get access to Precheck where DL is the only checkpoint (by terminal) with the feature - works great at FLL when flying Air Canada. Saves time and simplifies screening.
I once did the same to get lounge access w/ my Plat Amex when flying on United. The possibility for a screw up makes me nervous though (accidentally buying a non-refundable ticket or something).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I do it all the time.

Like others have said, present you MP card and sail on through.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the refundable trick.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FTstudent
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the refundable trick.
Be careful with the refundable trick - as evidenced by your handle, I imagine you can't afford a single mistake there.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
The Line Monitor at IAD specifically told me I had to be flying on the airline of credentials to use it. Not sure how often or closely they actual check.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.