Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Just because FlyerTalkers are obsessive doesn't mean the average fly is too. I would venture to guess most don't check. Scammers know that. Takes what, 7 seconds to get your ID out of your wallet. I'll take that. Wonder how many things you have missed out on in life because 7 seconds is too much for you to make sure someone else doesn't take what is yours if you are not obsessive. And I would also venture to guess there are far ore than 1 scam attempt. But your good feelings about human nature are to be admired, if not misplaced.
The average flyer isn't eligible for upgrades, let alone No. 1 on the upgrade list. I'd like to hear about more than one scam attempt before revamping the current system.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The average flyer isn't eligible for upgrades, let alone No. 1 on the upgrade list. I'd like to hear about more than one scam attempt before revamping the current system.
Every pax sitting in a seat MUST show their id at TSA to get on a plane. Should somewhere down the line should a seat assignment be changed then it is only proper that ANY person changing seats identify themselves to the g/a to make sure that the correct person is getting on the plane and in the proper seat.

It is my opinion that handing ANY pax a b/p without verification is a major situation waiting to happen!

The 7 second concern about inconvenience may just bite someone in the butt when the fake person decides to take the plane to Havana!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Two Bee
Every pax sitting in a seat MUST show their id at TSA to get on a plane. Should somewhere down the line should a seat assignment be changed then it is only proper that ANY person changing seats identify themselves to the g/a to make sure that the correct person is getting on the plane and in the proper seat.
No, you show your ID to TSA to get past security. You don't show your ID to get on a plane. 90% of the times I fly domestically, I never show my ID to an airline agent.

It is my opinion that handing ANY pax a b/p without verification is a major situation waiting to happen!
I believe it's policy to EITHER collect the old boarding pass OR look at digital boarding pass OR look at an ID before giving the new BP. But I understand how in a hurry at a chaotic podium, a GA could make a mistake. That mistake got reported to FT, what a surprise!

Doesn't seem like a security lapse at all, and as a scam it seems like is has a low likelihood to succeed since even people who don't obsessively check for seat assignment changes on their phone probably do if they are #1 on the upgrade list. In fact, that's what happened here!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would be surprised at how many GS and 1K's have no clue of their benefits. You need to take your blinders off and see the bigger picture.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
No, you show your ID to TSA to get past security. You don't show your ID to get on a plane. 90% of the times I fly domestically, I never show my ID to an airline agent.
Noooo! You show you b/p to TSA to get past them, and then you are allowed to get on a plane with your own b/p.

100% of the time I fly domestic I have never been asked for my id.

All I'm saying, and you know what I mean, without being ticky tacky with semantics, is that any time a NEW b/p is doled out, the pax SHOULD cough up proof of who they are.

Pretty simple!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2017 at 1:50 am Reason: Overly personalized comment removed, FT Rule 12
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
You would be surprised at how many GS and 1K's have no clue of their benefits. You need to take your blinders off and see the bigger picture.
There's no "bigger picture" here. By your logic, every passenger should have to show ID and boarding pass while boarding, with a flight attendant verifying that each person sits in his assigned seat. There's VASTLY more of this type of seat-poaching in economy.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no "bigger picture" here. By your logic, every passenger should have to show ID and boarding pass while boarding, with a flight attendant verifying that each person sits in his assigned seat. There's VASTLY more of this type of seat-poaching in economy.
Wow, I'm not saying that at all and I never did. I am saying to get a new boarding pass the GA should verify they are handing it to the person it is for.

And on International flights you DO have to show your ID when boarding.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
1k with an RPU on a DEN-LAS flight. Just trying to burn them before the end of the year. There have been three people upgraded- so much for RPUs. The plane has been 12cap, 11 booked and 11 checked in since this morning. Now, hour before flight it goes to Booked:full, but still only 11 checked in.

So an hour before the flight someone gets rebooked, but isn’t checked in. Seat still open.

Frankly, for a Sunday afternoon flight, a CPU should be a good chance. When you can’t even burn one on a DEN-LAS flight? And some shenanigans have been going on.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin

Frankly, for a Sunday afternoon flight, a CPU should be a good chance. When you can’t even burn one on a DEN-LAS flight? And some shenanigans have been going on.
what evidence of that do you have? I have seen 20/20 booked on Saturdays with zero upgrades ... you know, some pax just buy First. And Sunday afternoon is not 'low' at all.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It isn’t the capacity, it is the way that the held that seats and now 15 minutes before boarding the person hasn’t even checke in yet.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
It isn’t the capacity, it is the way that the held that seats and now 15 minutes before boarding the person hasn’t even checke in yet.
Happened to me twice today --- BOS & EWR --- #1 on the list with 2 open --- last min --- cheap-o buy-up's, with 15/30 mins to go, I'm think-in?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Happened to me twice today --- BOS & EWR --- #1 on the list with 2 open --- last min --- cheap-o buy-up's, with 15/30 mins to go, I'm think-in?
I bought 2 F tickets SFO-LAS a little over a year ago at about T-90.

I'm sure it appeared like what you described, and it certainly wasn't expensive, but it was not a "buy-up".

Some people just buy last minute tickets.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If a person takes someone else's upgraded BP then boards, which BP do they scan?

If they scan their own, the upgrade shows as not boarded and someone else is upgraded into that seat.

If they scan the upgraded BP, their own BP isn't scanned and they show as a no-show and the rest of their itinerary is cancelled.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I bought 2 F tickets SFO-LAS a little over a year ago at about T-90.

I'm sure it appeared like what you described, and it certainly wasn't expensive, but it was not a "buy-up".

Some people just buy last minute tickets.
SDCs are also a very common cause. If my original flight has a delay, I might go to the airport early and SDC at the counter to another flight ~60m before it departs.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
SDCs are also a very common cause. If my original flight has a delay, I might go to the airport early and SDC at the counter to another flight ~60m before it departs.
Agreed. I'm one of those 'annoying' SDC's who taken an earlier flight or a later flight based on my schedule. And yes, unfortunately, I'm a 1K on one of those higher fare classes. Sorry =/

Recent recollections come to mind where I've SDC'd and that grab a CPU around ten minutes later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.