Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United employee accused of stealing luggage during Asiana crash diversions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:09 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver

I'm just embarrassed it happened at my home airport:
http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2013/07...aling-luggage/

Edit: Actually, mods, please change title to "accused of stealing"...

Last edited by SFOPhD; Jul 29, 2013 at 11:10 am Reason: title change request
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wow, I wonder how many times they've allegedly done this in the past and didn't get caught.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
That's a surprisingly sophisticated plan for the loot (returning it to the store for credit).
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
That's a surprisingly sophisticated plan for the loot (returning it to the store for credit).
Only made possible by the tags probably still being on the clothing.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Wonder how many co-workers turned a blind eye.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Wonder how many co-workers turned a blind eye.
Probably none. Do you have any evidence to suggest otherwise?

The unabated unsubstantiated inuendo against the line employees of UA in this forum is truly disheartening.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
The unabated unsubstantiated inuendo..
that pretty much defines 90% of the comments here.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Only made possible by the tags probably still being on the clothing.
I only saw Nordstroms in the article and they accept ANY returns for ANY reason, no tags needed. People take advantage of it, unfortunately.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I totally don't understand the logistics of how this occurred. It said that people who were supposed to fly to SFO but couldn't due to diversions. How did their luggage make it?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I totally don't understand the logistics of how this occurred. It said that people who were supposed to fly to SFO but couldn't due to diversions. How did their luggage make it?
Probably because their bags were tagged to SFO and were put on the next available flight to SFO. However, that flight might not have had open seats for standby passengers so people ended up flying in to nearby airports.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
If indeed the people tried to profit from the confusion of Asiana 214 aftermath, thats behaviour is un-worthy of human beings IMHO.

The connection to A214 is pure speculation however - for all we know someone saw some Nordstrom stuff in bag and tagged it for stealing/return on that basis alone.

I will ask Mods to move to Travel Buzz as I dont feel the connection to UA is relevant.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:52 pm

The unabated unsubstantiated inuendo against the line employees of UA in this forum is truly disheartening.
+1
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS

No evidence, but very hard to imagine this being pulled off at such a busy place without "protection". And hard to believe this is a first time offender if he is that long at UA. Glad they got caught.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I didn't want this thread to go super negative when I posted; I wanted to alert us to activity at a UA hub. This story certainly does not reflect or imply similar actions by all frontline UA employees. Hopefully awareness of this example will 1) encourage UA to be vigilant against future similar crimes and 2) help us appreciate the good employees that work hard and bring our luggage, like us, safely home.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: VAG

Either there were multiple employees involved in this kind of behaviour, or they really need to work on their procedures in order to prevent any one employee from being left alone and unsupervised with passenger bags. Admittedly he *did* get caught via surveillance video.

On a broader note, this kind of thing is the reason why I'll never buy an expensive-looking suitcase, nor will I ever part with my cheap cardboard luggage tags. You never want to have the bag that looks like it might contain $5,0000 worth of brand-new clothes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.