FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1484973-rewardsplus-comped-marriot-ua-status-highest-ua-comped-status-now-marriott-gold.html)

AlreadyThere Jun 6, 2018 6:23 am

UA GS here. Just got an email from Marriott telling me I now have Silver status! When the program linkage began I started at Platinum, then quietly slipped to Gold last year, now this. Ah well. When I was Platinum, I got breakfast AND a special gift at check-in (in one case, an ice cream bar). No more special gift for me! :o

laxmillenial Jun 6, 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 29834978)
UA GS here. Just got an email from Marriott telling me I now have Silver status! When the program linkage began I started at Platinum, then quietly slipped to Gold last year, now this. Ah well. When I was Platinum, I got breakfast AND a special gift at check-in (in one case, an ice cream bar). No more special gift for me! :o

Someone's doing something wrong. Even Gold, Platinum, and 1K get Marriott Gold. Have you 're-submitted' through RewardsPlus your GS status? Or are you just falling status levels at Marriott due to not hitting the stay/night requirement and not informing anyone that you're GS?

FlyerTalker70 Jun 6, 2018 9:46 am

Personally I don't understand why awarding UA Silver is such a big deal. Sure they get free E+ seating but only during OLCI so that doesn't impact the real loyalists who can choose it at booking. Even if you legitimately earned Silver there's a way around this OLCI the moment the window opens up, beating out most other silver kettles!

If you want to talk about fairness in E+ seating I'd argue that Platinums and above who can award E+ seating to 8 other pax travelling with them on a flight. That's likely the main culprit why good E+ seating is getting harder to come by.

Safe Travels,

James

AlreadyThere Jun 6, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 29835049)
Someone's doing something wrong. Even Gold, Platinum, and 1K get Marriott Gold. Have you 're-submitted' through RewardsPlus your GS status? Or are you just falling status levels at Marriott due to not hitting the stay/night requirement and not informing anyone that you're GS?

Obviously Marriott knew that I was GS since at the outset I was made Platinum despite not being even close to meeting the stay requirement. At the time I merged my account with SPG, I had dropped to Gold. Do I have to keep resubmitting my status? That doesn't make sense, since they must have the means to check FF status automatically to see if someone has dropped below status-matching minimums (and obviously won't tell them).

notquiteaff Jun 6, 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 29836564)
Obviously Marriott knew that I was GS since at the outset I was made Platinum despite not being even close to meeting the stay requirement. At the time I merged my account with SPG, I had dropped to Gold. Do I have to keep resubmitting my status? That doesn't make sense, since they must have the means to check FF status automatically to see if someone has dropped below status-matching minimums (and obviously won't tell them).

I'd reach out to them. I am a mere UA Gold and still Marriott Gold. Something went wrong for your account.

caseminole Jun 6, 2018 3:03 pm

FWIW, I am a long-time CO OnePass elite flyer (most always Silver, sometimes Gold), who retained my Silver Premier on United, even though almost 100% of my travel is for leisure now.

Two years ago, my personal reasons for several RTs (LAX-MCO) each year came to an end.

With the RP program, I am able to keep my Silver status because i still have Marriott Platinum to fall back on.

May not mean much to most here, but it has helped me with some international travel situations (e.g., making same day changes to itinerary w/o penalty), and I also like the E+ at OLCI

Also, I did get an upgrade LAX-ORD (!) for a red eye

so, it (being able to get Silver) DOES matter, and this program helps me get there!

laxmillenial Jun 6, 2018 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 29836564)

You have to keep resubmitting your status on a yearly basis. The Rewardsplus is on a year by year basis/renewal (marriott program renewal timeline)

emcampbe Jun 6, 2018 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 29837372)
You have to keep resubmitting your status on a yearly basis. The Rewardsplus is on a year by year basis/renewal (marriott program renewal timeline)

i never did. It automatically renewed every year for me.

Last year though, flying dropped and I’m just a UA silver this year. Was surprised to see my Marriott status this year was silver - asked in the Marriott forum and apparently it is the norm to get a soft landing at Marriott (though for what it’s worth, I don’t see much value in Marriott silver, but that’s a discussion for a different thread).

Me thinks if a GS was dropped to Marriott silver, there is definitely something wrong. I’d probably just re-link via the web page, or just call.

TomMM Jun 6, 2018 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 29837372)

Mine has automatically renewed each year.

exerda Jun 6, 2018 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by a9504477 (Post 29834749)
Frequentmiler claims that in future UA elites will only get the new devalued Marriott Gold:
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...before-august/

Is there actually any information/confirmation on this yet?

The original e-mail I got from Marriott suggested I would become Platinum in August, albeit with the benefits basically being the same as current Gold.

Subsequent e-mails have not been as clear, and the Marriott forum here seems to think the UA match will be only to their new (devalued) Gold.

If that happens, I'll ask my employer to get me a match from my HIlton Diamond status, as the new Marriott Gold is worthless (no exec lounge access is the killer).

hotelexec Jun 28, 2018 5:28 pm

I have Marriott Gold matched from my lifetime UA Gold and just a few minutes ago got an email saying "Gold Elite Status will evolve to Platinum Elite status with new benefits and a 50% earning bonus (instead of 25%).

I would assume that they wouldn't have sent this to status matches if they didn't intend it for us. But I'm assuming this will only be for 2018; they haven't announced anything for 2019 at this point and I'm assuming it will be Gold = Gold, not Gold = Platinum. Hope I'm wrong.

tomwhom Jun 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by hotelexec (Post 29918047)
I have Marriott Gold matched from my lifetime UA Gold and just a few minutes ago got an email saying "Gold Elite Status will evolve to Platinum Elite status with new benefits and a 50% earning bonus (instead of 25%).

From whom, United or Marriott? Could you copy/paste the content please?

exerda Jun 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by tomwhom (Post 29921758)
From whom, United or Marriott? Could you copy/paste the content please?

I got an e-mail to that effect from Marriott.

However, if you read the fine print, it isn't so clear, and indeed, suggests that UA RewardsPlus-granted status will not simply be bumped up:

Originally Posted by Marriott
EXPLORE ELITE STATUS.Right now you have Gold Elite status. Take a look below to see how our status levels evolve in the new program—and how you could reach an even higher level in August.*REWARDS ELITE STATUS TODAY
ELITE STATUS IN AUGUST
Silver Elite with 10-24 nightshttps://ci3.googleusercontent.com/pr...blue_arrow.jpgSilver Elite
Silver Elite with 25-49 nightshttps://ci3.googleusercontent.com/pr...blue_arrow.jpgGold Elite
Gold Elitehttps://ci3.googleusercontent.com/pr...blue_arrow.jpgPlatinum Elite
Platinum Elitehttps://ci3.googleusercontent.com/pr...blue_arrow.jpgPlatinum Premier Elite
Platinum Elite with 100+ nights and $20K in annual qualifying spendhttps://ci3.googleusercontent.com/pr...blue_arrow.jpgPlatinum Premier Elite with ambassador*Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching.

Notice that last line: "Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching."
Seems somewhat clear to me that a Marriott Gold matched from UA Gold/Plat/1K will only be Marriot Devalued Gold come August.

a9504477 Jul 2, 2018 4:06 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 29922095)
Seems somewhat clear to me that a Marriott Gold matched from UA Gold/Plat/1K will only be Marriot Devalued Gold come August.

Why? This is referring to the SPG Gold->Marriott Gold match.

laxmillenial Jul 2, 2018 6:28 am

Originally Posted by a9504477 (Post 29928298)
Why? This is referring to the SPG Gold->Marriott Gold match.

I think exerda's extrapolating that "status linking" also refers to UA -> Marriott.