FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1484973-rewardsplus-comped-marriot-ua-status-highest-ua-comped-status-now-marriott-gold.html)

FlyerTalker70 Mar 3, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 30842452)
- Late checkout: 2pm is better than nothing. I think I only ever made use once of checkout between 2pm and 4pm.

That's not what the new benefit is at all - not by a long shot. In the old program (and for Marriott Platinums now) you had 4 PM Guaranteed late check-out. For us lowly Golds it's 2 PM late checkout subject to availability. There's a huge difference between having late checkout guaranteed versus subject to availability!

- The lounge access is gone; that one stings, although to be fair, I never did have that many stays where 1) I had time to use the lounge, and 2) the lounge was any good.

Agreed with you here. Half the time I was staying at a SPMarriott property I wouldn't even qualify for that benefit (i.e. Courtyard). Add one point to Hilton Gold where you're guaranteed breakfast across their properties with you elite status.

- At least the "enhanced" internet is still there.

Which is a benefit you get for free with the $129 CAD Bonvoy AE card and that comes with a 1 free night cert for hotels up to 35,000 points in value.

I have no upcoming hotel-stays booked. Will be interesting to see if this "downgrade" will actually change my booking habits in the future, and what sort of impact the downgraded experience will have (compared to Platinum).

I think I'll be sticking with Hilton whenever possible. The only thing SPMarriott has going for themselves here is that some customers will stay at least once more to see what the difference is between old Gold and new Gold. There's no doubt the new Gold has lost some lustre, the only question is how much!

-James

LC757 Mar 3, 2019 10:50 am

Downgraded to Gold from Plat right before a 5 night stay at the Westin in Maui...at least the stay was completely booked with CSR points.

FlyerTalker70 Mar 3, 2019 10:52 am

Should've requested they send me a physical Platinum card. Should've requested they send me a physical Platinum card. Why didn't I ask for one :mad:?! At least then when I checked in I could flash the card at the agent and act all surprised in the odd chance they notice I'm Gold.

-James

StuckinITH Mar 3, 2019 10:54 am

Me too. But since I was expecting it and I don't like uncertainty I had already booked my next 2 hotel stays in April at Hiltons. But, I did enjoy a last stay in a Bonvoy on February 25 to 28.

narvik Mar 3, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30842627)
That's not what the new benefit is at all - not by a long shot. In the old program (and for Marriott Platinums now) you had 4 PM Guaranteed late check-out. For us lowly Golds it's 2 PM late checkout subject to availability. There's a huge difference between having late checkout guaranteed versus subject to availability!

Aye.
That's what I mean with "time will tell".
Say, if I stay a few nights at Marriott properties this year and get denied a late 2pm checkout because of no availability, I will re-evaluate.
It's rare that I stay past breakfast. For the times when I needed a late checkout it was VERY welcome.
And yeah, I agree that the peace-of-mind of having a guaranteed late check-out available was at least comforting.

transportprof Mar 3, 2019 11:00 am

Marriott miracle!

I logged in (twice!) this morning, expecting the worst. This is what I saw both times:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f7127f7e92.png

^^

narvik Mar 3, 2019 11:06 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 30842657)
I logged in (twice!) this morning, expecting the worst. This is what I saw both times:

^^

Your "Program Affiliations" below your username begs to differ!
:)

laxmillenial Mar 3, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30842640)
Should've requested they send me a physical Platinum card. Should've requested they send me a physical Platinum card. Why didn't I ask for one :mad:?! At least then when I checked in I could flash the card at the agent and act all surprised in the odd chance they notice I'm Gold.

-James

Do they still send physical cards? For any status? Or is it by request only?

escapefromphl Mar 3, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 30842657)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f7127f7e92.png

^^

What does the App say?

chavala Mar 3, 2019 11:42 am

Mine still Plat on the website -- thought I got lucky for a minute!
Nope. App says Gold : (
And I have a reservation at a beach resort this week-- too late to cancel. Damn.

transportprof Mar 3, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 30842722)
What does the App say?

I'm still showing Plat on the App too!
And I updated my profile for Narvik.

747FC Mar 3, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30842640)

-James

My Apple Wallet card still shows I am Plat!

bigwings8 Mar 3, 2019 11:52 am

Down from plat to gold on Marriott sometime this am too. But I was expecting worse (down to general member) since I’m only UA silver this year. Hopefully that processing doesn’t happen until next year.

Any GS who kept the Marriott platinum?

Anybody have any idea if hertz status will disappear at some point for United 1k/plat who lose their status?

TomA Mar 3, 2019 11:59 am

Everything says Gold as of today.
Cancelled the Renaissance room... LOL

ACVBear Mar 3, 2019 12:19 pm

Same. now to go back to just searching on costs and amenities. I don't blame Marriott for this downgrade, this is going to affect my spending but, honestly probably not enough to impact them