Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does waiver of same day flight change fee extend to 1K companion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does waiver of same day flight change fee extend to 1K companion?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Same reservation - yes
Post spilt from previously same reservation - yes
Separate reservations - no
Good to know. I'll have to try it sometime -- although I have a feeling it will be hard to actually get multiple confirmed seats on "better" flights!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: 1K
I have, too, been wondering this! Thanks for the insight.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Bumping a semi-old thread. Does anyone have recent experience with this?

I'm only Gold this year, will they still waive the same day flight change fee for my companion? The website shows a cost, so I'm not sure if it will deduct it once the system recognizes my status?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Azurik
Bumping a semi-old thread. Does anyone have recent experience with this?

I'm only Gold this year, will they still waive the same day flight change fee for my companion? The website shows a cost, so I'm not sure if it will deduct it once the system recognizes my status?
If the system is showing a cost that shouldn't be (can't tell from your post) then call it in.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:58 pm

You have to call it in if you are not on the same PNR, or the PNR has been split due to upgrades or whatever reason the system doesn't recognize you are together. I can confirm I have had no problems once calling it in.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
I can also confirm that I was not charged for my companion post CPU split, but I did call. There was no mention of any charge. I simply gave our names and said what flight I wanted to move us to. (If someone tried to charge me, I'd say "never mind" hang up and call back.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Any recent experiences with this, in regards to splitting the rez at check in, and then wanting to SDC? R is wide open tonight so I think we will clear overnight, but just in case...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BThumme
Any recent experiences with this, in regards to splitting the rez at check in, and then wanting to SDC? R is wide open tonight so I think we will clear overnight, but just in case...
Not recent per se, but had no trouble SDCing a split PNR into open R last September.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Flight is showing 2/12 booked in first today, so don’t know why it’s not processing yet.

Anyways, I found out that the app doesn’t split the reservation until you finally finish and accept check in. I was thinking that as soon as I selected myself at check in when it asked about splitting, that it would split the reservation then. So I was able to still mess around and change seats without finishing the Check in process.

but here’s the most important part - my girlfriend was still allowed to SDC in the app for free after the split. Small issue as you can’t verify (without going to UA and searching in expert mode) if there is one or two seats open on what you want to switch to, but still - not needing to talk to an agent is a huge plus.

This is a huge reason I will continue to stick with UA.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 4, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight is showing 2/12 booked in first today, so don’t know why it’s not processing yet.

Anyways, I found out that the app doesn’t split the reservation until you finally finish and accept check in. I was thinking that as soon as I selected myself at check in when it asked about splitting, that it would split the reservation then. So I was able to still mess around and change seats without finishing the Check in process.

but here’s the most important part - my girlfriend was still allowed to SDC in the app for free after the split. Small issue as you can’t verify (without going to UA and searching in expert mode) if there is one or two seats open on what you want to switch to, but still - not needing to talk to an agent is a huge plus.

You can actually use check in to change flights and then exit without completing the check in. Then you will be on new flights and the reservation will not be split, and the 'hidden list' CPU priority will stay intact. When you are ready to have the reservation split, you can restart and complete check in. I have had some cases in which it appeared after splitting and making flight changes, the CPU request got re-prioritised based upon the companion's status rather than with inherited status.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

Last year, I was Plat and the Mrs. was only silver. Split a HNL-LAS round trip reservation at outbound check in to try for CPU (no luck). Had to check in separately on the return. I was offered LAS-DEN-HNL, which is worth a lot more miles than the booked LAS-SFO-HNL but didn't show up on the Mrs. side. Called in and was told could change us both but would be $75 for the Mrs. so declined. I am guessing that the phone agent needs to be told that the reservation was split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.