Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, restarted for new 1Ks?

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery

Thread archive:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Last year, it did come on it's own to my home. It came around end of March.
That was very non-standard (as the bulk of the responses here have noted they had to request). Perhaps you (or a travelling companion) mentioned it to an agent at some point and they decided to surprize you.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That was very non-standard (as the bulk of the responses here have noted they had to request). Perhaps you (or a travelling companion) mentioned it to an agent at some point and they decided to surprize you.
Nobody mentioned it. We have not developed any relationship with United agents. In my city they are not nice. In the ORD UCs they are not nice. I only asked here on FT the name of that thing for if I had to request it but it arrived on its own. So, maybe United knows who StuckinITH is. It should not be too difficult for them to figure it out when I posted my numbers (and my wife's numbers) in the status progression thread. We'll see if this year my wife's one appears on our doorstep without requesting it as she qualified for 1K in December 2018.

I was wrong on the date of unrequested arrival of the yellow handle last year: it was not at the end of March, it was at the beginning of March. Post #377 in this thread has the correct date: March 5, 2018.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Feb 22, 2019 at 5:00 am Reason: Wrong date
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Wrote to 1K voice requesting a yellow wrap. Next day goat a phone call (!) from United. The agent said that they ordered one and apologized that it will take a few weeks to arrive. The phone call seems like an unusual way to respond, I expected an e-mail.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Stamp YEAR on handle wraps?

I see lots of dirty old handle wraps, many from former 1K's. Why doesn't United stamp the current year on the wrap in order to indicate its "validity"? Just a thought.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I see lots of dirty old handle wraps, many from former 1K's. Why doesn't United stamp the current year on the wrap in order to indicate its "validity"? Just a thought.
I think you will see dirty, old wraps from both present and former 1K's. Stamping the year would make this more costly and the date would be impossible to read without close inspection. And easily defeated -- just turn the "date" so it is under the bag handle.

Changing the color would be a more effective solution but also very costly to replace all the still valid 1Ks with dirty old handle wraps.

Bottom line, probably not worth the effort.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a solution in need of a problem.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:37 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Or just have the gate agent hand out a different colored "green" tag for elites.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Given that the handle wraps rarely do anything (except act as an additional brag tag), why would it even matter to enforce?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I just gave up my "original issue year" yellow wrap. First trip today on a UAEX flight with with a clean new one. For a while I felt some sense of pride over how long I've had the wrap, then looked at it this morning and realized it was just a dirty, threads-sticking-out, handle wrap with the "UNITED" name completely obliterated. I don't care whether someone thinks a new one means I just made 1K, I just care about getting my gate-checked bag as soon as possible.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:16 pm

United 1K/GS Yellow handle wrap

Received an email from United that stated: Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program! The handle wraps are sent out separately within the first quarter.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
Given that the handle wraps rarely do anything (except act as an additional brag tag), why would it even matter to enforce?
They seem to work about 50% of the time . . . and 100% of the time as a brag tag.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:29 pm
Suspended

My yellow handle has worked 100% of the time
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
First requested my yellow handle wrap in November after making 1K at the end of September. Was assured it would be mailed out in 2-3 weeks (so end of Nov). Inquired about it just before Christmas and got no response. Asked again on Jan 1st and was told they couldn't process my request until after Feb 13. No information from them since then so just sent yet another request/inquiry. At this point, I feel like they're going to tell me just wait until next year (when I likely won't even be Platinum).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
First requested my yellow handle wrap in November after making 1K at the end of September. Was assured it would be mailed out in 2-3 weeks (so end of Nov). Inquired about it just before Christmas and got no response. Asked again on Jan 1st and was told they couldn't process my request until after Feb 13. No information from them since then so just sent yet another request/inquiry. At this point, I feel like they're going to tell me just wait until next year (when I likely won't even be Platinum).
Based on prior year reports -- it is very common for there to be a blackout period from Nov to Feb on the availability of the wraps.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
My yellow handle has worked 100% of the time
Aside from bags to/from Canada, where they don't seem to bother sorting the bags, I've had an almost 100% first delivered rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.