Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
UA switched to a tri-color bag handle wraps (in post 233) in Feb 2024.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

older wiki content
UA switched to Blue bag handle wraps (picture below) in late 2019/early 2020 from the previous Yellow/Gold
UA started distributing the blue version and due to COVID cutbacks stopped
In Feb 2022 some distribution has restarted, unclear who is receiving these initial wraps

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery
New Blue (2019/2020 version)

Old Yellow / Gold

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by globetrotter415
Got the blue handle today.

First time being 1k. Didn't request it but I did call the 1K desk last year and asked if they have plans to send out welcome kits. (The agent nope'd me)

In 2021, I had 39 flight segments and only 16 of that was on United metal.

Congrats!

David
globetrotter415 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA PPro, UA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat
Received one today, unsolicited.

earned 1k for 2022 with 17k PQP after status matched to 1k from AA EXP in February.

25 PQF, 6 segments in Polaris/paid first.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I tried emailing 1kVoice for a handle wrap and got the "blame it on the coronavirus" excuse.

Dear Mr. Tarheelnj,
Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.
We have suspended Premier kit production for 2022 due to the impacts of the coronavirus. This includes kits for new Premier qualifiers, new Million Milers, all replacements, as well as luggage tag/adapter opt-ins made via Premier Status Tracker (mystatus.united.com).Please watch your emails and visit united.com for any further updates or changes.
We do our best to accommodate our customers’ requests when possible, and I’m sorry that we were not able to in this instance.
As a Premier 1K / MillionMiler member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.
Regards,
(name withheld)
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visitwww.mileageplus.com .
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I tried emailing 1kVoice and got the same "blame it on the coronavirus" excuse.....
Realize we are all tried of that but supply chain issues are still present, see your local grocery store or home improvement store? And labor issues, see your local stores and restaurants.

And these issues were worse and getting worst last fall (omicron) when this decision was made. This is not decision that could be reserved and providing in days or weeks but takes many months even with improving conditions.

And not inconsequential is the expense issue and airlines still struggle and not helped with the Russia - Ukraine issue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What would be useful to the community is, WHo are getting theses? Your status 1K or GS? Are you new to 1K/GS? Have you gotten a Yellow or Blue wrap in the past? Have you requested a wrap recently? In the past it was generally just domestic, still true? DO you commonly fly UX, as the intent of the wraps was for UX gate checked bags. Other information that will help determine who and why?
Got one as well. First time 1k, was Gold before. The COVID bonuses plus using some travel credits got me just over the 1k hurdle at the end of last year. Fly maybe 60/40 international/domestic. Never had a wrap before, nor ever requested one (nor requested a welcome kit). Haven't had a UX segment since 2019. I do usually check a bag (the bottle of contact lens solution I like to travel with is bigger than TSA allows), that could be an interesting data point?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
So what's the consensus. It sounds like mostly first time 1Ks. Some other posts are a bit unclear (ie. "Earned 1K last year", doesn't tell me if its for the first time or not)

As for corona-excuse, it's not a lie. It causes their UA's profits to go down which causes more cuts. As for staffing, supply chain, etc who knows. When UA is concerned, I generally find it easier to believe things are caused by poor management and/or Kirby Kuts before things like supply chain, staffing, etc. Though the later can also be caused/exasperated by poor management.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
So what's the consensus. It sounds like mostly first time 1Ks. Some other posts are a bit unclear (ie. "Earned 1K last year", doesn't tell me if its for the first time or not)

As for corona-excuse, it's not a lie. It causes their UA's profits to go down which causes more cuts. As for staffing, supply chain, etc who knows. When UA is concerned, I generally find it easier to believe things are caused by poor management and/or Kirby Kuts before things like supply chain, staffing, etc. Though the later can also be caused/exasperated by poor management.
I was 1K 3 years ago, Plat the last 2, before requalifying last year back to 1K. I previously had requested and received yellow handles, but that was 3 years ago. I did not request a blue handle but received one.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BThumme
I was 1K 3 years ago, Plat the last 2, before requalifying last year back to 1K. I previously had requested and received yellow handles, but that was 3 years ago. I did not request a blue handle but received one.
By "first time 1K", I meant, qualifying 1K last year while not being 1K the year prior
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I had received a yellow wrap years ago but nothing since, and was pleasantly surprised to find a blue wrap in this week's mail.

I am a GS by designation (and have been for a few years), but would currently be a 1K based on my own flying record (and would have been for a few years), and I just made Million Miler last year.
SPN Lifer and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
By "first time 1K", I meant, qualifying 1K last year while not being 1K the year prior
Would make sense to prioritize those folks . . . if you've been 1K for a few years you likely have one (though I know it's been totally inconsistent).
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA1K,2+MM, AA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
UA Mailaing Blue Bag Handle Wraps

FWIW - I'm 2.6 million miler - 1K annually for 15 or so straight years (way back when i made it by flying 100 UX flights, very painful). PreCovid I did not get 1K kit or blue handles - called UA was told very rudely that i had been sent them - if I wanted she could give me proof of delivery if I would hold on..... she came back on the line with no apology saying "i can't see where it was actually delivered but I'm sure it was as we sent it" - Could i get replacement handles? "No we are out of handles and the company that makes them is behind schedule." This was in early 2020, before anyone ever heard of Covid.... Occasional follow ups have gotten nothing.... Being semi-normal I got frustrated with UA, went back to AA where I'm only Gold.... Turns out over the years AA has dramatically improved, at least on the flights I've taken... I'm between EWR and PHL so saving big bucks and trauma by avoiding UA and using AA out of PHL..... Air travel stressful enough without putting up with airlines that speak with their wallet and don't care about loyalty to long term flyers.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat
First time 1K (~16k PQP last year, including all the promos) and received a blue wrap sometime in the last week or two. Never gotten a wrap in the past (was platinum for the two years prior, gold for the two years prior to that, and silver for several years prior.) I generally fly Y domestic short/mid-haul, and J for transcon/international. Only fly UX a few times a year. Most of my itineraries originate in SFO or LAX. Hope that helps...
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Realize we are all tried of that but supply chain issues are still present, see your local grocery store or home improvement store? And labor issues, see your local stores and restaurants.

And these issues were worse and getting worst last fall (omicron) when this decision was made. This is not decision that could be reserved and providing in days or weeks but takes many months even with improving conditions.

And not inconsequential is the expense issue and airlines still struggle and not helped with the Russia - Ukraine issue.
All very valid points, so maybe the issue isn't that they have a huge warehouse full of these things and can't be bothered to send them. Maybe the frustration is that UA still won't just level with us. It's become dogma on FT that members get frustrated when a travel provider representative gives us an explanation we know not to be true - in this case that blue handle wraps aren't being distributed. If the email I got said "We're sorry, but (fill in the blank reason) has left us with a limited supply of these wraps and we're prioritizing newly qualified 1Ks" I would absolutely understand and recall how much I really valued the status the first year I earned it.
Silver Fox, drewguy and DELee like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
... If the email I got said "We're sorry, but (fill in the blank reason) has left us with a limited supply of these wraps and we're prioritizing newly qualified 1Ks" I would absolutely understand and recall how much I really valued the status the first year I earned it.
The problem with the response you received is it made no mention of the wraps but was about memberships kits. So as is not unknown you got a cut and paste response that was not pertinent to the apparent request you made. Happens too often. Either reading too fast or not have an answer to what was queried, unfortunately you got a cut & paste answer.

Additionally we trend to expect the CS rep to be all knowing, having most of my work life in a Fortune 10 company, internal communications is not the best in large corporations, so it would not surprise me the agent had no awareness that another department had started shipping a limited number of blue handle wraps to "first time" 1Ks. The left hand unaware of right hand parable is a common large organization truth.

Does not decrease the frustration but for me it makes it easier to shaken it off.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: UA
To add a data point, I got one last week in the mail. Been 1k since 2019 when I moved from DL, extended in 2020 (no PP) and then earned it with the help of promos in 2021 (so not purely earned, but did get PP). Back when I first got 1k in 2019 I got a kit but no wrap, so this is the first wrap I have been sent. Irony is I usually only carry a backpack.. is it useful without a carryon that is occasionally gate checked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.