Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Strategy to use GPUs for a family of 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:08 pm
Used to be 'thiti'
Original Poster

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir

We are planning to buy 4 tickets from Los Angeles to Melbourne via Sydney and use my GPUs. This might be one of the toughest routes to clear. My question is... should we split the reservation into two (2 passengers each) or keep all 4 passengers into one given that I am the only premier member among 4?

My understanding is that if we put make one reservation for all four, United would clear all or nothing. I am just concerned that United will release the upgrade 1 or 2 seats at a time.

Any comments or past GPU upgrade experiences on this route are appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As I understand the rules, you should keep all your family on your PNR, so that they have your status. Otherwise you could clear first and they would be further down the list. If they do clear the four of you one by one, it'll be by fare class, and if that's the same, it'll be in alphabetical order I guess...

But I might well be wrong and other people in this forum know the rules better than I do...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As far as status, all those waitlisted with your GPUs will waitlist with your status even if on another PNR. So that is not an issue to split or not.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alexperi
As I understand the rules, you should keep all your family on your PNR, so that they have your status. Otherwise you could clear first and they would be further down the list. If they do clear the four of you one by one, it'll be by fare class, and if that's the same, it'll be in alphabetical order I guess...

But I might well be wrong and other people in this forum know the rules better than I do...
Not quite. Status come from the account the GPUs are redeemed from. After than fare class and order of waitlist request come in to play. The alphabet doesn't come into play really.

I'd split 2+2 at a minimum.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As far as status, all those waitlisted with your GPUs will waitlist with your status even if on another PNR. So that is not an issue to split or not.
While splitting might be necessary so they can clear gradually rather than as a group of 4, it does carry the risk of separation under IRROPS/schedule changes.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
While splitting might be necessary so they can clear gradually rather than as a group of 4, it does carry the risk of separation under IRROPS/schedule changes.
given the infrequency of serivce / fewer routing options LAX-SYD-MEL, that is probably a minimual risk in this situation.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Don't forget the cost of Y+

• Splitting will improve the chances of some of you clearing before the flight.
  • Only passengers on your PNR are eligible for free Y+ seating.
  • Splitting has no impact on gate upgrades.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
My experience was a couple years ago, but a party of three cleared one at a time, a few weeks apart. It's possible they released two seats at the start (and one of us got the second) or the end (and one of us got the first), but the appearance was certainly that they were released one at a time.

I would split them all. Your Y+ will be retained, even though you won't be able to change on the website. If you get put back in a sweep you can call to bring them back, as long as the status member is still in Y+.

If the status members get upgraded, everyone loses ability to sit in Y+ technically, so you kind of have to go for the upgrade and risk the Y+ anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
...If the status members get upgraded, everyone loses ability to sit in Y+ technically, so you kind of have to go for the upgrade and risk the Y+ anyway.
make the upgrade request for the elite member last.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:35 pm
Used to be 'thiti'
Original Poster

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Wow! A lot of thoughts. Thank you very much. I totally forgot about Y+ advantage and will have to take that into consideration. ^

All by itself, this is a big risk of betting about $1,000 each ticket (diff between K and W fares). I would rather have fewer number of GPUs, but no restrictions on fare (like old PMCO's).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the E+ situation if they are all booked as one PNR and then split into pairs you can assign E+ at the beginning and it should stick; unlike the sUA systems the current version doesn't do sweeps and unassign them. If there is an equipment swap or something like that a phone call should get you all back together without much trouble, especially if you remind the agent that it was booked on the same PNR to begin with and only split for upgrade reasons.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by thiti
Wow! A lot of thoughts. Thank you very much. I totally forgot about Y+ advantage and will have to take that into consideration. ^

All by itself, this is a big risk of betting about $1,000 each ticket (diff between K and W fares). I would rather have fewer number of GPUs, but no restrictions on fare (like old PMCO's).
When are you going? When we recently flew SFO to SYD end Aug-Sept there seemed to be a lot of space: R=7 sometimes!! I had booked at the begining of the year 2012, and locked myself into the schedule....when I needed to change last minute, I was amazed at how much upgradeable space there was.

I would try looking at least for R=2 or 3. Maybe the web site will return its functionality and you can search expert flyer type mode: otherwise call.

There is a whole LONG thread about upgrade chances to Australia: check it out. Timing is everything
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:35 pm

My suggestions:

Book the kids award tickets in Y from your account. They inherit your elite status (number of bags free, free E+).

Book you and your partner in W with the GPU's. Hope for the best.

Alternatively, travel in the dead of Australian winter when there is much less demand.

Good luck!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Try and get the GPUs to clear at booking. Look for flights with R availability.
Might not be possible depending on your date of travel but that's the best way to guarantee they will clear.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can OP look for a flight that has R>4?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.