FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United CEO says it doesn’t want to be world’s largest airline, but size still matters (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1445892-united-ceo-says-doesn-t-want-world-s-largest-airline-but-size-still-matters.html)

FlyWorld Mar 7, 2013 10:20 pm

United CEO says it doesn’t want to be world’s largest airline, but size still matters

http://skift.com/2013/03/07/united-c...still-matters/

Really?

BrettJG Mar 7, 2013 11:00 pm

He does seem to b a silly man with little insight into the aviation business.

Lightman7 Mar 7, 2013 11:11 pm

He really has no clue as to reality, does he?

u2vox Mar 7, 2013 11:16 pm

"Smisek believes Wi-Fi "is the future...""

Brilliance!

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Mar 7, 2013 11:22 pm

Beyond Pathetic

He killed two great airline & then tried to force feed us his nauseating video on EVERY flight. If that wasn't bad enough, his #2 guy talked about how "over-entitled" we are.

The guy who's laughing the loudest now is Doug Parker. Me thinks he ain't feeling like the "ugly bride" so much now.

BrettJG Mar 7, 2013 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lightman7 (Post 20381556)
He really has no clue as to reality, does he?

My current CEO is an accountant. I'm the long time COO, he's relatively new and we battle alot about what makes the company successful. I'm constantly amazed at the (poor) quality of the cream that rises to the top. Smisek seems to be one of many in this line of bean counters/lawyers (my current CEO included) who think they can run a business purely from a spreadsheet. They have no insight into the "soul"of a successful company, and trust me, there is a "soul" to all successful service oriented companies.

LilAbner Mar 7, 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by BrettJG (Post 20381595)
My current CEO is an accountant. I'm the long time COO, he's relatively new and we battle alot about what makes the company successful. I'm constantly amazed at the (poor) quality of the cream that rises to the top. Smisek seems to be one of many in this line of bean counters/lawyers (my current CEO included) who think they can run a business purely from a spreadsheet. They have no insight into the "soul"of a successful company, and trust me, there is a "soul" to all successful service oriented companies.

Peter Principle:
The theory that employees within an organization will advance to their highest level of competence and then be promoted one step more and remain at a level, at which they are incompetent.

demkr Mar 7, 2013 11:37 pm

That capacity discipline he loves so much is what's causing people who used to fly 100,000 miles a year to stop because they are never getting upgraded anymore.

And what kind of man says "spectacular" every 5 words?

blug Mar 7, 2013 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20381415)

Really what? "doesn't want to be the largest airline" or "size matters"?

FlyingNut724 Mar 7, 2013 11:53 pm

Clearly being the biggest airline must not be that important as United can no longer be the largest airline. Of course, had the AA / US merger not happened, we'd all be hearing how important it was to the largest airline.

Jeffy can no longer claim to have the largest network and the 787 isn't flying anytime soon. So the two largest things he has been touting the past 2 years aren't working for him.

p.s. how many kettles buy wi-fi vs. all the HVFs that he is driving away

demkr Mar 7, 2013 11:55 pm

Yeah wifi is the future, except its taking me a half a decade longer than my competitors to provide it to our customers and our "co-workers."

UAGLOBAL Mar 8, 2013 12:09 am

In Smisek's defense- he has taken the share price to an all-time high. He will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

uastarflyer Mar 8, 2013 12:21 am

United CEO says it doesn’t want to be world’s largest airline, but size still matters

What is the aircraft in the picture? A CO 767?

Wi Fi streaming is great but I still prefer a seatback screen upon which to see it. But it seemed like he was signaling end of DirectTV not canned AVOD.

andrewwm Mar 8, 2013 1:31 am

? I don't see what's surprising/interesting about this? The whole point of mergers is to cut overlapping routes for efficiency. If you think AA won't do the same thing after their merger, I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you.

Delta, AA and UA will all be about the same size in a couple of years, no point in getting into a prestige pissing match by dumping a bunch of low-yield capacity onto the market.

Wi Fi streaming is great but I still prefer a seatback screen upon which to see it. But it seemed like he was signaling end of DirectTV not canned AVOD.
DirectTV pays for the installation, so I'd guess as long as they keep paying for it UA will keep installing it.

R&R Mar 8, 2013 1:39 am

Give me a TV screen!

I have NO plans to buy any mobile stuff or /add another carryon to play with.
Am Happy with some recent movies and Series episodes!
Even if some put me to sleep! :D