FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1445270-aero-new-shares-overlay-debut-6-mar-2013-a.html)

EWR764 Mar 6, 2013 7:50 am

AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013]

Apparently the much-touted new GUI for SHARES is rolling out systemwide today. This is the point-and-click graphical interface that has been referenced in a number of investor presentations and tested at select airports around the system over the last few months.

It supposedly reduces handling time, automates a number of archaic SHARES keystrokes, increases upsell opportunities (naturally) and provides improved IRROPS handling functionality. They'll need it today, as the impending winter storm takes aim at two hubs. All that said, I think the native SHARES environment will still be available if necessary, but I'm not positive about that one.

Back to the future? ;)

FlyWorld Mar 6, 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 20370334)
Apparently the much-touted new GUI for SHARES is rolling out systemwide today. This is the point-and-click graphical interface that has been referenced in a number of investor presentations and tested at select airports around the system over the last few months.

It supposedly reduces handling time, automates a number of archaic SHARES keystrokes, increases upsell opportunities (naturally) and provides improved IRROPS handling functionality. They'll need it today, as the impending winter storm takes aim at two hubs. All that said, I think the native SHARES environment will still be available if necessary, but I'm not positive about that one.

Back to the future? ;)

Assuming this thing works and doesn't make matters worse by introducing new bugs, then perhaps it'll eliminate some of the trouble we experience as a result of agents (probably mostly sUA) who were never properly trained in the archaic SHARES keystrokes because $mi$ek was too cheap to invest in giving them the same training that sCO agents get.

Still, it's lipstick on a pig. It won't fix the underlying SHARES failures often referred to as "glitches" that plague everything.

UA-NYC Mar 6, 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 20370334)
Back to the future? ;)

The 1990s are here in effect! :D

milepig Mar 6, 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20370427)
The 1990s are here in effect! :D

Anybody who thinks that pasting a flashy GUI on top of ancient technology is a good solution long-term is deluding themselves. I've been down that road too many times.

EWR764 Mar 6, 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 20370935)
Anybody who thinks that pasting a flashy GUI on top of ancient technology is a good solution long-term is deluding themselves. I've been down that road too many times.

Fastair?

UA-NYC Mar 6, 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 20370935)

That's why I referenced the 1990s and not the Aughts or current decade :D

zmaniacz Mar 6, 2013 10:23 am

Got a CPU on a United Express flight this morning. My card said seat 1A and boarding group 5...so...yeah. GA of course told me to board in group 1 anyway, just funny.

gobluetwo Mar 6, 2013 10:25 am

I'll have to ask about it at the airport in a few hours.

halls120 Mar 6, 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by zmaniacz (Post 20371245)
Got a CPU on a United Express flight this morning. My card said seat 1A and boarding group 5...so...yeah. GA of course told me to board in group 1 anyway, just funny.

No doubt there will be a few bugs in the system. ;)

colpuck Mar 6, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20370405)
Still, it's lipstick on a pig. It won't fix the underlying SHARES failures often referred to as "glitches" that plague everything.

SHARE/SABRE/Deltamatic/Apollo are all ancient mainframe interfaces neither one worse nor better than the others.

GoAmtrak Mar 6, 2013 10:40 am

Will this improve rebooking at all, in terms of routing options presented to the agent and speed of ticket reissue? Should we still be prepared to spoon-feed flight numbers (either UA or OAL) to the agent?

ibuyyoufly Mar 6, 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 20371350)
SHARE/SABRE/Deltamatic/Apollo are all ancient mainframe interfaces neither one worse nor better than the others.

Smi/J now, and Doug Parker, would beg to differ with you.

hobo13 Mar 6, 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 20371350)

Perhaps, but that's like saying that Tilton, Smisek, Parker, and Horton are all over-paid CEO's neither one worse nor better than the others.....

trajan81 Mar 6, 2013 11:05 am

I'll just say this, the agents in SEA and EWR today were not having much fun with the system. Maybe it was just bugs due to the rollout as always happen, but the cpu wasn't processing paid upgrades at either location.

demkr Mar 6, 2013 11:10 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Woah, you mean its the late 90s already?