AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013]

Old Mar 6, 13, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013]

Apparently the much-touted new GUI for SHARES is rolling out systemwide today. This is the point-and-click graphical interface that has been referenced in a number of investor presentations and tested at select airports around the system over the last few months.

It supposedly reduces handling time, automates a number of archaic SHARES keystrokes, increases upsell opportunities (naturally) and provides improved IRROPS handling functionality. They'll need it today, as the impending winter storm takes aim at two hubs. All that said, I think the native SHARES environment will still be available if necessary, but I'm not positive about that one.

Back to the future?
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Apparently the much-touted new GUI for SHARES is rolling out systemwide today. This is the point-and-click graphical interface that has been referenced in a number of investor presentations and tested at select airports around the system over the last few months.

It supposedly reduces handling time, automates a number of archaic SHARES keystrokes, increases upsell opportunities (naturally) and provides improved IRROPS handling functionality. They'll need it today, as the impending winter storm takes aim at two hubs. All that said, I think the native SHARES environment will still be available if necessary, but I'm not positive about that one.

Back to the future?
Assuming this thing works and doesn't make matters worse by introducing new bugs, then perhaps it'll eliminate some of the trouble we experience as a result of agents (probably mostly sUA) who were never properly trained in the archaic SHARES keystrokes because $mi$ek was too cheap to invest in giving them the same training that sCO agents get.

Still, it's lipstick on a pig. It won't fix the underlying SHARES failures often referred to as "glitches" that plague everything.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Mar 6, 13 at 9:12 am
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Back to the future?
The 1990s are here in effect!
Old Mar 6, 13, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The 1990s are here in effect!
Anybody who thinks that pasting a flashy GUI on top of ancient technology is a good solution long-term is deluding themselves. I've been down that road too many times.
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Anybody who thinks that pasting a flashy GUI on top of ancient technology is a good solution long-term is deluding themselves. I've been down that road too many times.
Fastair?
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
That's why I referenced the 1990s and not the Aughts or current decade
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Got a CPU on a United Express flight this morning. My card said seat 1A and boarding group 5...so...yeah. GA of course told me to board in group 1 anyway, just funny.
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:25 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'll have to ask about it at the airport in a few hours.
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zmaniacz View Post
Got a CPU on a United Express flight this morning. My card said seat 1A and boarding group 5...so...yeah. GA of course told me to board in group 1 anyway, just funny.
No doubt there will be a few bugs in the system.
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
Still, it's lipstick on a pig. It won't fix the underlying SHARES failures often referred to as "glitches" that plague everything.
SHARE/SABRE/Deltamatic/Apollo are all ancient mainframe interfaces neither one worse nor better than the others.
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Platinum, Walk & Transit Scores 96
Will this improve rebooking at all, in terms of routing options presented to the agent and speed of ticket reissue? Should we still be prepared to spoon-feed flight numbers (either UA or OAL) to the agent?
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:52 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
SHARE/SABRE/Deltamatic/Apollo are all ancient mainframe interfaces neither one worse nor better than the others.
Smi/J now, and Doug Parker, would beg to differ with you.
Old Mar 6, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Perhaps, but that's like saying that Tilton, Smisek, Parker, and Horton are all over-paid CEO's neither one worse nor better than the others.....
Old Mar 6, 13, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I'll just say this, the agents in SEA and EWR today were not having much fun with the system. Maybe it was just bugs due to the rollout as always happen, but the cpu wasn't processing paid upgrades at either location.
Old Mar 6, 13, 12:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Woah, you mean its the late 90s already?

Search this Thread