FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   AMA "Closing Keynote: Transforming the MileagePlus Program at United Airlines" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1436976-ama-closing-keynote-transforming-mileageplus-program-united-airlines.html)

Fredd Feb 9, 2013 7:23 pm

AMA "Closing Keynote: Transforming the MileagePlus Program at United Airlines"

American Marketing Association Conference in Chicago, February 19, Closing Keynote Address...

Transforming the MileagePlus Program at United Airlines

Michelle Brown, Director, Strategy & Analysis, MileagePlus – United Airlines

http://momentum2013.chicagoama.org/m...ited-airlines/

Yes, IMHO they're "transforming" it.

Discuss among yourselves... ;)

LarkSFO Feb 9, 2013 7:28 pm

"With the merger of United and Continental Airlines, United Continental Holdings has become the world’s largest airline, and now operates the biggest loyalty program of its kind, MileagePlus. This merger required combining 90 million accounts and 30 years of transactional history into a single database. A monumental challenge any marketer would find overwhelming. But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."

IflyfromABE Feb 9, 2013 7:31 pm

"Michelle Brown leads the Strategy & Analytics division within MileagePlus, the loyalty program at United Airlines. Michelle’s

responsibilities include directing all customer analytics projects such as campaign measurement, member segmentation and predictive modeling. In this role, she is also responsible for defining the company’s CRM strategy, for both loyalty program members and non-members, across all customer touch points and channels.

Prior to joining United, Michelle spent several years at American Airlines, where she worked in AAdvantage Database Marketing and Revenue Management. She has also worked as a Management Consultant for Bain & Company.

Michelle received a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Duke University and her MBA from the University Of Michigan Ross School Of Business."

mduell Feb 9, 2013 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20218055)
"...United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."

Emphasis mine.

LarkSFO Feb 9, 2013 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 20218081)
Emphasis mine.

Welcome to 2013.

They know what you are thinking...

luv2ctheworld Feb 9, 2013 8:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Funny, AA just sent out an exhaustive survey regarding their AAdvantage program. Something I have never seen UA do for their elites (minus the Chase credit card survey). UA claims to have insight but does not even send out a comparable survey.

FlyWorld Feb 9, 2013 8:14 pm

"With the merger of United and Continental Airlines, United Continental Holdings has become the world’s largest airline, and now operates the biggest loyalty program of its kind, MileagePlus. This merger required combining 90 million accounts and 30 years of transactional history into a single database. A monumental challenge any marketer would find overwhelming. But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."

I would be curious to see the top 10 examples that show how they used the new "unprecedented understanding" to "drive revenue and change the customer experience."

Furthermore, since Michelle is "responsible for defining the company’s CRM strategy, for both loyalty program members and non-members, across all customer touch points and channels" I would be curious to understand why there has been no communication to me of any sort whatsoever beyond offers to buy useless crap from partners and why there has been no acknowledgement of the drop in my spending, an experience that others on FT have posted about as well.

Very curious.

mike1968 Feb 9, 2013 8:51 pm

This seems like an area they could cut to save $$$s. maybe the are using the built in intelligence of SHARES rather than a world-class analytical package? All I know is I get an endless stream of mileage plus emails that I can't delete fast enough. It's also interesting, but yet to have them wonder why I haven't booked a ticket in over 6 months...at least not with UA when a reasonable analytical package- especially one linked to Chase- would know we travel every holidays, including the recent ones...hmm, my own BI package says this group is expendable.

jsgoldbe Feb 9, 2013 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20218242)
I would be curious to see the top 10 examples that show how they used the new "unprecedented understanding" to "drive revenue and change the customer experience."

Good luck with that. I am sure the exec at UA has these examples available to justify her department's budget, but it is UA Confidential.

Google "big data" for the explanation of the new paradigm on how to track, aggregate, and analyze the flood of data now available about most all of us.

Also, there was a brief period recently at Delta where we could actually see some of the data that was collected and analyzed on us DL FFs individually. DL quickly closed the leak and shut the curtain, but UA undoubtedly has similar data on all its FFs.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 9, 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mike1968 (Post 20218374)
This seems like an area they could cut to save $$$s. maybe the are using the built in intelligence of SHARES rather than a world-class analytical package? All I know is I get an endless stream of mileage plus emails that I can't delete fast enough. It's also interesting, but yet to have them wonder why I haven't booked a ticket in over 6 months...at least not with UA when a reasonable analytical package- especially one linked to Chase- would know we travel every holidays, including the recent ones...hmm, my own BI package says this group is expendable.

Isn't it clear, the message will be about how we identified the over entitled, and took them out?

I too have not flown UA in months, and continuously get emails and snail mail from them and Chase. Not one, however, has asked why my travel on UA came to a skreeching halt after 15 years of loyalty 1P or better (5 years at 1K).

mike1968 Feb 9, 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA (Post 20218410)
Isn't it clear, the message will be about how we identified the over entitled, and took them out?

I too have not flown UA in months, and continuously get emails and snail mail from them and Chase. Not one, however, has asked why my travel on UA came to a skreeching halt after 15 years of loyalty 1P or better (5 years at 1K).

^ + 1. Sad but true...me thinks:(

ibuyyoufly Feb 9, 2013 9:19 pm

They're flying blind. I'll bet their regression analysis is missing an important factor. They'll find it some day.

GUWonder Feb 9, 2013 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe (Post 20218383)
Good luck with that. I am sure the exec at UA has these examples available to justify her department's budget, but it is UA Confidential.

Google "big data" for the explanation of the new paradigm on how to track, aggregate, and analyze the flood of data now available about most all of us.

Also, there was a brief period recently at Delta where we could actually see some of the data that was collected and analyzed on us DL FFs individually. DL quickly closed the leak and shut the curtain, but UA undoubtedly has similar data on all its FFs.

Use an EU address and then get them to supply your info to you under EU rules.

danville 1K Feb 9, 2013 9:30 pm

"A monumental challenge any marketer would find overwhelming. But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."

Clearly they've changed the customer experience, many on this board will attest to the fact in most instances it wasn't a change for the better.

entropy Feb 9, 2013 9:32 pm

"...United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."
this is hilarious, I guess they've understood their customers, which is why they are using mileageplus to severely lag their competitors in the last 11 months.

If they were smart they'd use the program instead of cheapo fares to pull people from competitors.