FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   AMA "Closing Keynote: Transforming the MileagePlus Program at United Airlines" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1436976-ama-closing-keynote-transforming-mileageplus-program-united-airlines.html)

tom911 Feb 9, 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 20218515)
Clearly they've changed the customer experience, many on this board will attest to the fact in most instances it wasn't a change for the better.

Is it a profitable change for UA, though? I get the junk UA e-mails about every other day and I haven't bought a single ticket in 18 months now. Clearly they know I'm gone and have probably written me off.

However, have I been replaced by millions of dollars in additional credit card revenue and partner marketing promotions (cruises, flowers, credit card benefits that have been added)? Could UA, seeing enhanced revenue for these marketing programs, really be a marketing success story? They certainly know how to use e-mail.

UrbaneGent Feb 9, 2013 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 20218615)
Could UA, seeing enhanced revenue for these marketing programs, really be a marketing success story? They certainly know how to use e-mail.

Never thought of it like that because my mind was stuck on the customer service aspect of running a business since personally that's what I enjoy most running a company.

Get rid of all your elites, (they leave after 15 years of flying, who cares?) sell bazillions of miles to credit card companies, Chase. Go after the kettles who will pay for an upgrade to FC from ORD-EWR for a once and a lifetime experience whilst p'ing off your elites expecting unlimited complimentary upgrades. Nickle and dime everyone from the moment they purchase a ticket to the moment they complete their journey.

Give those who CURRENTLY pay premium fares GSvcs and treat them right. Everyone else can go scratch....voila! Like licensing, passive income - make money for doing things that don't even involve flying! Brilliant!

There are many of business cases where a company changed courses to do something similar, alienating customers, etc. There will come a day this will bite them in the rear-end.

UG

PS nice pics, Tom911!

bldr1k Feb 9, 2013 10:51 pm

It is unfortunately too obvious how they are using analytics. Understanding their customer base is a euphemism for spending as little as possible to retain them as a customer and not a penny more.

Everyone understands it is important to generate a profit, but no great company or product has ever been built by finance people. Many of them have been ruined by finance people...

LarkSFO Feb 9, 2013 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent (Post 20218721)
Nickle and dime everyone from the moment they purchase a ticket to the moment they complete their journey.

I can't say I have ever felt 'nickle and dimed' by UA...

Elite status certainly helps on this front.

1kBill Feb 9, 2013 11:31 pm

The edited version:

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20218055)
But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience.

Before the edit:
But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue [to our competitors] and change the customer experience [for the worse].

tuolumne Feb 10, 2013 12:37 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20218055)
"With the merger of United and Continental Airlines, United Continental Holdings has become the world’s largest airline, and now operates the biggest loyalty program of its kind, MileagePlus. This merger required combining 90 million accounts and 30 years of transactional history into a single database. A monumental challenge any marketer would find overwhelming. But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue and change the customer experience."

Do you really believe this garbage, Lark? I know you've been sympathetic to the company's cause, but this rings as blatant nonsense.

UA1KPHL Feb 10, 2013 1:27 am

even 1k have pay date change fees.. which I don't agree with.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO:20218803

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent (Post 20218721)
Nickle and dime everyone from the moment they purchase a ticket to the moment they complete their journey.

If they can change schedules without having to pay us $250 per change I thnk elites should get one change free if same fare class is open. What does it matter to them ifi fly on this date or that dates?

FlyWorld Feb 10, 2013 4:34 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 20218887)
The edited version:

Before the edit:
But instead of shirking from the challenge United decided to take the data initiative even further by launching a completely revamped MileagePlus program that has given them an unprecedented understanding of its customers that has helped drive revenue [to our competitors] and change the customer experience [for the worse].

Finally. Something that makes sense!

Boghopper Feb 10, 2013 5:00 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 20218200)
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Funny, AA just sent out an exhaustive survey regarding their AAdvantage program. Something I have never seen UA do for their elites (minus the Chase credit card survey). UA claims to have insight but does not even send out a comparable survey.

UA has made it pretty clear they don't belive what their customers say (including us), so why would they do a survey? They probably figure what the rats do in response to stimulus and incentives is the important data.

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 20218791)
It is unfortunately too obvious how they are using analytics. Understanding their customer base is a euphemism for spending as little as possible to retain them as a customer and not a penny more.

Everyone understands it is important to generate a profit, but no great company or product has ever been built by finance people. Many of them have been ruined by finance people...

That's because instead of leading a company based on values they lead based on shaving every margin they get their hands on. They shave and shave until they draw blood . . . and then it's over.

halls120 Feb 10, 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20218803)

Yes, they don't 'nickle and dime' elites. For now. Give them time.

highflier1979 Feb 10, 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA (Post 20218410)
I too have not flown UA in months, and continuously get emails and snail mail from them and Chase. Not one, however, has asked why my travel on UA came to a skreeching halt after 15 years of loyalty 1P or better (5 years at 1K).

I've been elite status for over 20 years, 1K for each of the last 10 years. But not a peep from them.

LarkSFO Feb 10, 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by tuolumne (Post 20219044)
Do you really believe this garbage, Lark? I know you've been sympathetic to the company's cause, but this rings as blatant nonsense.

Notice the quotes...

I just cut and paste this from the trade show web site where United spoke.

I do believe that this is their intent.

Execution? As with may things in this merger, they still have a ways to go.

(as a curious bystander, I would love to see what information they have consolidated: 30 years of data, 90 million accounts. Big data, great info to mine, there is gold in there if they can figure it out...)

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 20219635)
Yes, they don't 'nickle and dime' elites. For now. Give them time.

time.... And a better grasp of their analytics tools... :)

tnmlyger Feb 10, 2013 8:37 am

Apparently I'm in the minority but I still feel treated really well by United, especially the ground crew in Munich who are nothing short of fantastic.

LarkSFO Feb 10, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by tnmlyger (Post 20220192)
Apparently I'm in the minority but I still feel treated really well by United, especially the ground crew in Munich who are nothing short of fantastic.

I do not think you are in the minority...

This is flyertalk, you know.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 10, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20220212)
I do not think you are in the minority...

This is flyertalk, you know.

I don't think that's the case. For the most part, I didn't see any change with the people on the front line. I am not a fan of some of the attitude in IAH, and a few others... but most are trying to be helpful.

It is not a complaint of people per se, rather it is corporate policies and culture driving people away. Further, I think they need to stop looking at the data in a vacuum and think about their decisions. You need to balance data with focus groups, and real customer feedback if you want a customer driven strategy.

Jeff and team does not have a customer driven strategy, they think they know best.:(