Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Empty middle seat - what's it worth to you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty middle seat - what's it worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P-MM
I'm the guy that started the original post and I do the double-"Y" booking all the time now, expecially since it's near impossible to use a GPU these days (I watched 5 GPU's go unused last year). Just Saturday I returned BRU-EWR-LAX with 2 seats. It's as described in the other thread - you buy one under your name then a 2nd seat with SURNAME/EXTRASEAT.

There are issues that you will have to deal with. You can't check Extraseat in online on an international itinerary as Extraseat has no passport # and if you try to use your own passport #, you get a "duplicate passport" error. So, you must check in using an agent, and not all agents know how to deal with the corrrect process to check the extra seat in. I've tried contacting both pmUA in the past and the new UA to ask for a definitive process, and I've yet to get a satifactory answer. The agents always seem to struggle, some more than others.

You must remember to tell the gate agent at boarding that you have two seats and insist on their scanning both boarding passes else your extra seat could end up as a "no-show" for later or connecting flights.

Also, once you're aboard and they're about to button the plane up, keep an eye out if they're doing a head count and let them know about your extra seat. Otherwise they come up one head short and sometimes go into panic mode.

Finally, you can get RDM without a bonus multiplier for your extra seat, but no EQM. You must apply for the RDM via the website or fax.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:09 pm

So the question to me is, on an oversold flight with X number of passengers utilizing the extra seat option, could UA forcibly take it and IDB the empty seat? What would they give you? Or, better yet, could you VDB the empty seat at the gate? How would that conversation go? "Hi, I'd like to volunteer my empty seat", I can only imagine the number facial contortions the GA could muster trying to wrap their brain around that request.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
So the question to me is, on an oversold flight with X number of passengers utilizing the extra seat option, could UA forcibly take it and IDB the empty seat? What would they give you? Or, better yet, could you VDB the empty seat at the gate? How would that conversation go? "Hi, I'd like to volunteer my empty seat", I can only imagine the number facial contortions the GA could muster trying to wrap their brain around that request.
I dont recall which Carrier it was , but some time ago someone posted, the flight was Oversold and they simply took the empty seat away and refunded the $$ paid for it and gave the seat to someone else

I would think for alittle more money a person can buy a Biz tkt instead of 2 Ys.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:24 pm
aku
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Originally Posted by Bigbit
I'm the guy that started the original post and I do the double-"Y" booking all the time now, expecially since it's near impossible to use a GPU these days (I watched 5 GPU's go unused last year). Just Saturday I returned BRU-EWR-LAX with 2 seats. It's as described in the other thread - you buy one under your name then a 2nd seat with SURNAME/EXTRASEAT.
Just went through the thread referenced, very good info. (ORD1Kguy, I think it answers your questions as well.)

Thanks for all the other quick responses, too. For a couple traveling, buying a third seat sounds like a sensible alternative to hoping/paying for upgrades. For singles, it would be cool if the airline or the free market (maybe in FT?) could set up a system such as J.Edward describes for like-minded travelers.

Follow-on question: Does the additional seat have to be on the same PNR? I'd like to use miles to book the extra seat, so I'd have flexibility to cancel it if I get an upgrade or change my mind.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Is it my imagination, or was there a time, maybe 3-5 years ago, when UA marketed a benefit in which only premiers (real premiers) could get access to E+ and that they would try to keep the middle seat empty when a premier chose an aisle or window seat?
Not your imagination.. I remember that benefit as well.. But it was more than 3-5 yeas back.. I can place a figure, but thinking more like 10.. Anyone else remember.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by aku
Follow-on question: Does the additional seat have to be on the same PNR? I'd like to use miles to book the extra seat, so I'd have flexibility to cancel it if I get an upgrade or change my mind.
Similarly, if you book an extra seat, does that automatically take you out of the queue for a CPU? Or, if they CPU'd you, would they refund the extra seat (and fill it with someone who had IDB'd or VDB'd earlier) or just leave it empty?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Originally Posted by edcho
Possibly name it E++? ...
...FauxFirst
It's Business Class in Lufthansa's narrow body aircrafts (A319/A321/B737).
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I can't dig up the thread, but years ago, I proposed in the pmua forum that UA offer a matching system for those willing to pay for half a middle seat. The idea would be you request half middle seat on your reservation web page, pay in advance an amount equal to 1/4 the lowest fare available, and then the computer matches you with like minded people. The middle seat stays empty. UA gets the extra revenue, but the weight is less, and caters fewer meals. Win/win in the era of $100/barrel oil.

On a long haul or tcon, I would surely do this if I could be guaranteed (i.e. not the odd man out) an empty middle. Makes even more sense now that sUA ruined the 777 cabin. But since I can't do that, I just fly in J or F.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
It's Business Class in Lufthansa's narrow body aircrafts (A319/A321/B737).
And LX intra-europe. And they both get a lot of $$$ for it. Cracks me up because the leg room is the same as Y, but people are willing to fork out the money for that empty seat in Europe.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:32 pm

RE: Instruments in extra seats...

I am a classical musician, and I have many colleagues who regularly purchase extra seats for their instruments, mostly 'celli, but some tubas, too (back in the day they would give you a discount, but that isn't the case anymore).

What astounds me is that, with all the over booking that goes on today, almost half the time they get asked by the FA to give up the seat! They have to insist that they need to fly with their instrument with them (which, in many cases, is true for insurance purposes, since some of the "priceless" instruments are actually loans from benefactors), as the temperature in the hold (not the pressure as most people think) will permanently damage most instruments. A custom tuba can run as high as the price of a car, while a rare cello can set you back the price of a house (or a dozen)! They also invariably get looks from other passengers, who probably assume they are abusing carry on rules, or being some kind of prima donna.

In several instances (always with the same colleague!) they gave him the option of stowing the cello underneath or taking a later flight. I am not sure how they swung that, since he paid for the seat and had a "boarding pass" to prove it, but he took a later flight.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:54 pm

Interesting this thread came up, I had an idea of a free perk that UAL could offer elites, "Empty middle seat". It would cost them nothing, but be a big gain for elites in E+.

Essentially, you select an aisle or window seat, and the seat mapper automatically blocks off the middle seat, and leaves it as the last remaining seat to be assigned.

It will gaurantee that if a flight goes out with 10 empty seats, those are the 10 empty seats in the middles, not a random row of 3 in the way back of E-, etc.

If the flight fills up...so do those seats. So it wouldn't be costing UAL anything (other than some computer programming) but could be a nice perk for elites on flights with 85-95% load factors (the breaking point for the feel of an "empty cabin" and a "full-flight".
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
LH still does this - at least in my experience - for *G passengers. It doesn't guarantee you'll have an empty seat next to you, of course, but I'm always appreciative when it does work.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by aku
I don't know - I've never done it that way. My guess is that it would be problematic, but I am not sure.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by jackonferry
Similarly, if you book an extra seat, does that automatically take you out of the queue for a CPU? Or, if they CPU'd you, would they refund the extra seat (and fill it with someone who had IDB'd or VDB'd earlier) or just leave it empty?
You are still eligible for CPU if you want it. I had it happen on my outbound domestic segment on my last trip (LAX-ORD), even though I had asked to be removed from the upgrade list. They had already given my E+ seats away so I took 5A and B for the leg. Usually I defer and let someone else have the F seat.

Originally Posted by atcguy
Interesting this thread came up, I had an idea of a free perk that UAL could offer elites, "Empty middle seat". It would cost them nothing, but be a big gain for elites in E+.

Essentially, you select an aisle or window seat, and the seat mapper automatically blocks off the middle seat, and leaves it as the last remaining seat to be assigned.

It will gaurantee that if a flight goes out with 10 empty seats, those are the 10 empty seats in the middles, not a random row of 3 in the way back of E-, etc.

If the flight fills up...so do those seats. So it wouldn't be costing UAL anything (other than some computer programming) but could be a nice perk for elites on flights with 85-95% load factors (the breaking point for the feel of an "empty cabin" and a "full-flight".
atcguy - they USED to do this for high level elites (they called it seat blocking) but abandoned the perk a few years ago).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
undoubtedly ddrost1/EXTRASEAT would end up higher on the upgrade list than ddrost1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.