Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag Allowance for Premier Companions on same PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MileagePlus Premier members
If you’re a Premier member, you and your travel companions can check bags for free. Use this chart to see what each level of status provides.3,4,5
2Travel companions of Premier members have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit. This only applies if they’re traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions don’t apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:47 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite

I did a search using several different keywords but did not find what I was looking for.

Are Premier companions on the same PNR afforded the same waived baggage fees as the Premier member?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I did a search using several different keywords but did not find what I was looking for.

Are Premier companions on the same PNR afforded the same waived baggage fees as the Premier member?
Yes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:10 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Where is that documented? I called the Premier line and the agent had no idea. She said she could not find it anywhere "on the website." More than a little disappointed that the agent didn't have the answer to a pretty basic question but that's for another thread.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Where is that documented? .....
here
Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
yeah when you make the reservation, on the confirmation email it details the baggage fees, and it shows the companion the same as you, both bags as $0 (both at 70 lbs)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:34 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thank you! I was searching under "Premier Benefits."

Originally Posted by whitethunder
yeah when you make the reservation, on the confirmation email it details the baggage fees, and it shows the companion the same as you, both bags as $0 (both at 70 lbs)
Unfortunately, for us Kettle+'s out there, it's only 50 pounds.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:51 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, for us Kettle+'s out there, it's only 50 pounds.
Fly more. Or change FF airlines. I was there - I flew more.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I've had them extend the benefit to those not on the same PNR as me but flying with me. They were all immediate family (brothers and parents) with the same last name, but they didn't even question it, nor ask. We even had different destinations. All departing on the same flight though.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
If booked together, no problem. If itineraries split, it may become a problem. I've had the PNR split on my return flights, and if there is any other change made, e.g., change of aircraft/flight/etc, the companion loses status, so-to-speak and will have trouble getting the free bags/E+ seats. I'm sure a call would fix this, but the computer is not set up to do so.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:11 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
I'm not sure how to read into your response? I wasn't complaining or saying it should be higher. Not sure why the need to tell me to fly more?

Just adding additional information to teh thread so that down the road when someone else has the same question and does a search the information is here.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how to read into your response? I wasn't complaining or saying it should be higher. Not sure why the need to tell me to fly more?

Just adding additional information to the thread so that down the road when someone else has the same question and does a search the information is here.
Calling yourself a kettle+ is complaining - passive/aggressively.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:24 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Calling yourself a kettle+ is complaining - passive/aggressively.
Oh, geez. No, it's not at all. I call myself a Kettle+ because this community is filled with GS', 1K's, etc. that have, on more than one occassion, poked fun at Silver's. It's tongue in cheek and meant to be funny to us 2P's and poke fun back at the status hierarchy that exists within FT.

I've never been able to figure out why your posts are so pointed towards other members (and they never seem to get deleted) when you simply don't agree with what they've said or you interpret them one way or another. You are a wealth of great information that I've always appreciated but that's always been a turn off for me.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, geez. No, it's not at all. I call myself a Kettle+ because this community is filled with GS', 1K's, etc. that have, on more than one occassion, poked fun at Silvers. It's tongue in cheek and meant to be funny to us 2P's and poke fun back at the status hierarchy that exists within FT.

I've never been able to figure out why your posts are so pointed towards other members (and they never seem to get deleted) when you simply don't agree with what they've said or you interpret them one way or another. You are a wealth of great information that I've always appreciated but that's always been a turn off for me.
I think they are not deleted as they are not mean or spiteful, but are pragmatic and, most importantly, "accurate" with respect to historical perspective, regulations, or other items. I like the term "pointed" - it's a nuanced term that does fit my internet persona.

I'm actually a lot nicer in person, but I think in an internet forum filled with a lot of hyperbolic posts and loud characters, one needs to have a consistent, logical approach to gain respect for one's knowledge. Note that you don't see me on this forum complaining for not knowing a rule, or being a DYKWIA. Now, if I only had WineCountryUA's demeanor...

Forgive my bluntness, however, in your case.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
here
Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.
Pardon me for bringing back a year-old thread, but I notice that the text about companions no longer appears on that page. It quietly disappeared. Is this another change we will like?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Pardon me for bringing back a year-old thread, but I notice that the text about companions no longer appears on that page. It quietly disappeared. Is this another change we will like?
The page you linked to says this:

Customers traveling with MileagePlus Premier members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel will have the same exemption as the customer whose status provides for the benefit, as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including 10 or more customers or when the flight is not operated by United or United Express®.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.