Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:40 pm

and another case of the CPU tags not appearing even after 2 months after booking-even the agent on the "premier line" was denying that it was a benefit for Chase MP card holders saying that "only revenue tickets are eligible for CPU"
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
I have a booked as an award ticket. I hold an eligible Chase card an my reservation shows the (upgraded eligible) flag... but after check-in I am not on the stand-by upgrade list... several calls to UA and MP service center have been useless. They have no clue to this benefit.

Any suggestions as to how to get my name on the upgrade list?

Last edited by bajrbajr; Jan 11, 2015 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
United-operated only? Or, also United Express?

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../upgrades.aspx
Does anyone have experience if this includes United Express flights?

Earlier on that page there is the following:
Complimentary Premier® Upgrades are space-available, complimentary upgrades on select United-, United Express®- and Copa Airlines-operated flights
This seems to indicate that there is a distinction between United and United Express in their explanation. Should I be concerned that "United Express" is not included in the "Upgrading award tickets" section?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Does anyone have experience if this includes United Express flights?

Earlier on that page there is the following:

This seems to indicate that there is a distinction between United and United Express in their explanation. Should I be concerned that "United Express" is not included in the "Upgrading award tickets" section?
No distinction.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
No distinction.
Thanks for the response. So, I should assume to qualify for a CPU on my United Express AUS-SFO flight? (But, as I understand, no CPU on SFO-PEK)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Thanks for the response. So, I should assume to qualify for a CPU on my United Express AUS-SFO flight? (But, as I understand, no CPU on SFO-PEK)
Correct.

AUS-SFO is CPU eligible
SFO-PEK is not
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a wiki on this topic? I'm a 1K, so it's theoretically possible I might get an upgrade this way, but everytime I try (which isn't often), nobody knows what the heck to do!

Pertinent questions: do I have to pay for the tax on my award ticket with my MP Explorer card?
Is the benefit only for the primary cardholder? Like if my wife is elite and has a companion card, does she qualify? Or would she qualify as a companion to me if she's traveling with me?
Should I be able to get on the upgrade list when I check in online? I just called the 1K line, and they said I could only be added at the airport.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by iahphx

Pertinent questions: do I have to pay for the tax on my award ticket with my MP Explorer card?
Is the benefit only for the primary cardholder? Like if my wife is elite and has a companion card, does she qualify? Or would she qualify as a companion to me if she's traveling with me?
Should I be able to get on the upgrade list when I check in online? I just called the 1K line, and they said I could only be added at the airport.
Tax: No, IME
Companion: Think it currently applies the the primary cardholder, but until March if the miles are out of your account then it'll grant her the UG benefit.
<24hrs: I've never successfully gotten on the list if i wasn't upgraded >24 hours out; very annoying and no one wants to take responsibility for their failure to deliver the promised benefit.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is there a wiki on this topic? I'm a 1K, so it's theoretically possible I might get an upgrade this way, but everytime I try (which isn't often), nobody knows what the heck to do!

DATA POINT - My wife and I have been successful in upgrading award tickets from SFO-Hawaii. Of the 4 or 5 round trips since this benefit appeared, we have been unsuccessful on only 1 one way trip (which was just a few days away and during Christmas). We were upgraded on the return.

I believe you do need to pay the taxes with your Chase card. I have not tested this out (i.e. pay taxes with another credit card).

Usually we have been upgraded several days before the flight (i.e. 3 or 4 days out). I recall one time we were not upgraded. IIRC on the day of departure we needed to be added to the upgrade list when we checked in.

My wife has 1k status via companion benefit. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I book our flights under separate itineraries.

On other domestic award flights, I've been upgraded about 50% of the time. Again, most of the time it was a few days out.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: UA GS
I have never made the gate list for CPU after check-in with this benefit. Why is this?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ryder1650
I have never made the gate list for CPU after check-in with this benefit. Why is this?
If you don't clear by check-in, you have to ask an agent at the airport to be added to the list.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Question, if I just assigned my spouse MIllion Mile benefit and she inherits my 1k status for the duration of my 1k eligibility, on an award flight with 2 other people on the PNR, if I split the PNR, are we both eligible for CPU and the two other companions are not because I split it? If I don't split it, neither of us have a chance for CPU on award travel correct?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Question, if I just assigned my spouse MIllion Mile benefit and she inherits my 1k status for the duration of my 1k eligibility, on an award flight with 2 other people on the PNR, if I split the PNR, are we both eligible for CPU and the two other companions are not because I split it? If I don't split it, neither of us have a chance for CPU on award travel correct?
On award flights only the Primary Cardholder of an egible Chase MP card is eligible for upgrade. Your MM companion does not inherit the credit card benefit.
There has been a corner case in the past if on a single person PNR {from purchased, not split} from the primary cardholder mileage account, the benefit carried through until OLCI, when it vanished - that should go away April 15.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'll add a data point on this circus:
Booked an award with the UA Club Card (which oddly enough booked into XN even though I lost my Plat status and am down to Gold, but that's another thread)…
  • Itinerary originally did not say CPU eligible.
  • A couple days before the flight it showed CPU requested.
  • Never showed up on the upgrade list (on the mobile app, at the airport, that a phone or airport agent could see).
  • Called UA to get added to the upgrade list and was told in no particular order: it's not a benefit for award tickets; I'm on the list but it's not visible to me; I have to ask at the airport to be added; it's because the reservation is not split from my companion that I'm not on the list, and the phone agent can't split it.
  • Told by a phone agent that award upgrades are processed only after every single paid upgrade, so I would be after the last silver. I informed her that's not what the website says. Instead, award upgrades are processed after paid tickets for each status.
  • The agent at the gate acknowledges that this is actually a benefit; apologizes that I'm not on the list; but notes that F is now full.
Sigh, it seemed like too good of a benefit to actually be true. Maybe informing Chase that UA can't actually process this benefit would make UA care a bit more. It's obvious that UA has no clue what's going on with this.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
If you have a companion on your reservation you are not eligible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.