FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   In My Opinion, Only GS is important to UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1403839-my-opinion-only-gs-important-ua.html)

Always on a plane Nov 3, 2012 6:16 pm

In My Opinion, Only GS is important to UA

Haven't flow in a few months. Find it crazy that UA thinks only GS is important. If this was the military, only people with bronze stars would be recognized. Who cares about the rest of the folks who make it happen.

WineCountryUA Nov 3, 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19618888)
Haven't flow in a few months. Find it crazy that UA thinks only GS is important. ....

Some might it odd if you have not flown recent how you draw such a conclusion?

As an 1K who has flown recently I am disappointed with many of the changes and it does feel 1K has slipped a bit but to state "only GS is important" is further than I would go.

That aside, what would you want to discuss in this thread that is any different than the dozens of threads on the changes in the last year?

Shareholder Nov 3, 2012 6:22 pm

Yup that's what made me move over to AA. 1K has been downgraded to the point of insult. (Imagine how CO's Plats must feel.)

Often1 Nov 3, 2012 6:26 pm

Haven't flow in a few months. Find it crazy that UA thinks only GS is important. If this was the military, only people with bronze stars would be recognized. Who cares about the rest of the folks who make it happen.

What's your specific complaint?

Always on a plane Nov 3, 2012 6:35 pm

No complaint, just feel many people are working to get the job done.

PHLyer82 Nov 3, 2012 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19618982)
No complaint, just feel many people are working to get the job done.

So what happened to make you feel that only GS are important? You say you haven't flown in a couple months so did even fly recently to make you feel this way?

Always on a plane Nov 3, 2012 7:07 pm

I think it started with the airport customer service agents (many are hardened forcing always calling the 1K desk) and then the boarding process.

WineCountryUA Nov 3, 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19619143)
I think it started with the airport customer service agents (many are hardened forcing always calling the 1K desk) and then the boarding process.

Some regular topics

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-platinum.html

So again I ask

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 19618915)
.... what would you want to discuss in this thread that is any different than the dozens of threads on the changes in the last year?

United747 Nov 3, 2012 7:16 pm

I would have to politely disagree. I am a nobody on united but I feel like they have treated me very well every time I have flown them. My father is a 1K and he has had great service with almost all of the employees he has come in contact with. United is trying to diferentiate GS from 1K. Otherwise, those big spenders will just achieve 1K or leave United for an airline that will give them better services. The airlines are vying for our business, we choose based upon the benefits that they give.

Delta747

halls120 Nov 3, 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19618945)
What's your specific complaint?

Not speaking for the OP, but it became crystal clear to me that being 1K provided less value when I called the so-called 1K line, got the "Premier Desk," and after the very nice CSR couldn't address the problem I presented, asked "would you mind being placed on hold while I call the 1K desk?"

While being 1K gives me GPUs and RPUs the other elites don't get, and it gives me more bonus miles and preference at the head of the boarding rugby scrum, when it comes to calling for assistance, all I get is the phone being answered quicker than if I was Plat, Gold, or Silver.

Daniel-SYD Nov 3, 2012 7:32 pm

Only GS is important

I'm also not speaking for the OP. Personally, I think that 1K is a great program. There are some simple improvements UA needs to make (ie., take a look at some of the things their *A partners do for elites), but otherwise it is ok. They still suck at consistent irrops handling, general customer service, etc, but I'm not sure this is purely a 1K issue.

My biggest frustration and where I agree with OP is lack of differentiation as your miles (and spend) start to approach GS. 200k (and IMHO 120S Flyers) should be looked after a little differently - eg. IFL lounges so they can shower..

My other frustration stems from the fact that I'm place in the same category of over entitled flyers that manage to hit 1k on a low 4-figure spend and then complain with threads like this, when I'm spending at least 10 times that as a lowly 1k. This would be a better program if people quit .....ing :-)

burlax Nov 3, 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD (Post 19619231)
. . . My other frustration stems from the fact that I'm place in the same category of over entitled flyers that manage to hit 1k on a low 4-figure spend and then complain with threads like this, when I'm spending at least 10 times that as a lowly 1k. This would be a better program if people quit .....ing :-)

If you were "spending at least 10 times that as a lowly 1k," you'd be GS.

fieldeng Nov 3, 2012 8:15 pm

He may have been bitten by the boarding demons. Have seen a few times where the GA's state "GS are free to board" then an FFA for the rest where they call everybody else at once.

FlyerChrisK Nov 3, 2012 8:24 pm

Don't worry. UA has stopped caring about GS members as well.

My biggest frustration and where I agree with OP is lack of differentiation as your miles (and spend) start to approach GS. 200k (and IMHO 120S Flyers) should be looked after a little differently - eg. IFL lounges so they can shower..

...or UA could put some showers in more of its normal UCs like AA has done with its clubs. It's embarrassing that the only non-IFL lounge with a shower at the Capital of the Free World is run by Lufthansa.

My other frustration stems from the fact that I'm place in the same category of over entitled flyers that manage to hit 1k on a low 4-figure spend and then complain with threads like this, when I'm spending at least 10 times that as a lowly 1k. This would be a better program if people quit .....ing :-)

FT is full of low-spend 1Ks. They are not the norm.

Daniel-SYD Nov 3, 2012 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 19619393)
If you were "spending at least 10 times that as a lowly 1k," you'd be GS.

Your nitpick is a little off topic, but last year my spend was a little over $50k, and I've heard of people achieving 1k for around $4k-$5k. But these details aren't important..

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 19619429)

...or UA could put some showers in more of its normal UCs like AA has done with its clubs. It's embarrassing that the only non-IFL lounge with a shower at the Capital of the Free World is run by Lufthansa.

Agree. I care more for this (and I'd pay for it) more than achieving "GS".