FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   In My Opinion, Only GS is important to UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1403839-my-opinion-only-gs-important-ua.html)

FlyerChrisK Nov 4, 2012 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19623604)
Understood. What do those people want that they don't get now?

A shinier piece of plastic because theirs was more expensive?

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19623604)
If its upgrades they will be in a higher tier than a mile runner in G, its not hurting them. Some routes are more expensive (flying out of Carlsbad versus San Diego), that's how supply/demand works.

...that's assuming that they also make 1K. I've met segment warrior 1Ks on JFK-IAD who do nothing but NYC-WAS (why they don't take Acela is beyond me). They're comparatively rare, but presumably everyone in that camp would prefer to be a 1K (having likely spend $20k of other people's money to obtain it) than have me be one.

We all have our own personal biases towards our self interest. My horse in the race is much more towards the status quo than not.

EEE Nov 4, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah, I just had a hard time finding numbers from within the past couple of years. DEQM really distorted things up through '09, and travel patterns from '03 to '05 seem quite old at this stage. January might be a good time for another general polling of the frequent fliers, to get updated numbers for '12.

mikel51 Nov 5, 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19623464)
To become GS you have to spend a lot which means ticketing in F or Y for single cabin. This means these folks are already in first and not concerned about upgrades. .

I think that many of us GS travelers purchase business class for international and coach (lowest available) for domestic travel.....so we do like our upgrades.

axetogrind Nov 5, 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 19619429)
It's embarrassing that the only non-IFL lounge with a shower at the Capital of the Free World is run by Lufthansa.

That's not true - Air China has some in the T3 lounge.

Beerman92 Nov 5, 2012 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19621932)
Time to move to a straight $ BIS spend system and the cream will rise to the top.

I would assume they should eliminate all corporate discounts under this system or are you suggesting a customer who buys a OW V-fare for $500 with no discount is entitled to more benefits than a customer who purchases a OW $499 B-fare with a substantial corporate discount (that would retail for $998)? Even better would be to expect United to be able to keep track of such a system accurately since they struggle with simple things like the distance between point A and point B under the current system.

To summarize:
1) Suggesting a straight $ BIS system is as well thought out as suggesting there is a very real M-Up benefit to 1ks
And
2) The lucrative (creamy) corporate customer would not rise to the top under a straight $ BIS system

FlyerChrisK Nov 5, 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by axetogrind (Post 19626592)
That's not true - Air China has some in the T3 lounge.

By "Capital of the Free World," I meant IAD. Air China doesn't serve IAD.

I did not mean LHR (which CA serves at T3). There are a multitude of airlines with showers there.

1KPath Nov 5, 2012 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mikel51 (Post 19626387)
I think that many of us GS travelers purchase business class for international and coach (lowest available) for domestic travel.....so we do like our upgrades.

Our organization's GSs (4 of them...I used to be but no longer) never purchase F or C international or domestic...rather, they purchase last minute Y fares and are "sometimes" automatically upgraded, but more often, use earned instruments or instruments provided by UA sales. For what it is worth, they are only about 50-60% successful on upgrades since 3-3...in comparison, in last 10 years they were nearly 100%.

swixo Nov 5, 2012 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Always on a plane (Post 19618888)
Haven't flow in a few months. Find it crazy that UA thinks only GS is important. If this was the military, only people with bronze stars would be recognized. Who cares about the rest of the folks who make it happen.

I am not sure they care about GS either. I do get luggage tags - and (sometimes) ability to board first. But there is no service difference anymore. It's just gone.

s

golfingboy Nov 5, 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by 1KPath (Post 19627396)
Our organization's GSs (4 of them...I used to be but no longer) never purchase F or C international or domestic...rather, they purchase last minute Y fares

What about scenarios where F was cheaper than Y? Are they still forced to buy Y?

aacharya Nov 5, 2012 11:14 am

Our organization's GSs (4 of them...I used to be but no longer) never purchase F or C international or domestic...rather, they purchase last minute Y fares and are "sometimes" automatically upgraded, but more often, use earned instruments or instruments provided by UA sales. For what it is worth, they are only about 50-60% successful on upgrades since 3-3...in comparison, in last 10 years they were nearly 100%.

3.8MM - so close to lifetime GS.

UA-NYC Nov 5, 2012 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19628200)

...and yet how telling it is that said poster is no longer actively flying UA from what it seems.

Sure he's not alone.

AZjohns Nov 5, 2012 12:43 pm

I have two friends that have been GS for many years. They work for different company's and have different professions. Most all their travel is international out of DC and they both have their company pay for business, as it's all about working while they fly.

I think what maybe is common with these two and other GS is they (or I should clarify their company) always buys them last minute tickets. And what I think is also common is they really don't have time or willingness to mess around getting from point A to B.

My two friends have no idea what FT is. They also have no idea what SWU's, GPU's, CR1's, RPU's, or CPU's are and have no idea what balance of these instruments they have. They also don't know for sure how many miles they have, other then they both told me a few million (lol).

They just enjoyed UA for many years getting them to point A to B in the pointy part of the plane. And they both have stopped flying UA mid year. When I asked them why they said "something changed" but neither of them knew anything about 3/3 or really the merger of CO and UA.

They both just fly on other *A airlines now, as they both really like *A. I'm sure this is for family vacations when they maybe look how many miles they need to get all the family members up in F.;)

Yep, sample size is way too small, but I have a feeling GS is not like the previous years anymore and have also a feeling this is what the newUA wants for some unknown reason.

Boghopper Nov 5, 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 19619182)
Not speaking for the OP, but it became crystal clear to me that being 1K provided less value when I called the so-called 1K line, got the "Premier Desk," and after the very nice CSR couldn't address the problem I presented, asked "would you mind being placed on hold while I call the 1K desk?"

While being 1K gives me GPUs and RPUs the other elites don't get, and it gives me more bonus miles and preference at the head of the boarding rugby scrum, when it comes to calling for assistance, all I get is the phone being answered quicker than if I was Plat, Gold, or Silver.

Similar experience for me. I called the 1K line and the agent answered "gold desk". I commented that I usually get the 1K desk and the agent said that he is the 1K desk, too, there's no difference.

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD (Post 19619448)
Your nitpick is a little off topic, but last year my spend was a little over $50k, and I've heard of people achieving 1k for around $4k-$5k.

Over 50K in Sydney and not a GS? I find that surprising.

Superguy Nov 5, 2012 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh (Post 19619898)
By comparison, US doesn't give Preferred Access or really anything (apart from a free checked bag) to *S flyers other than their own.

To be fair, most *A don't give *S anything unless you belong to their program. *G gets a lot more but even then, it has its limits. I've had LH do jack for me as a *G while trying to resolve problems they caused. I have no doubt that I would have been taken care of a lot better had I been a Senator or HON.

Outside of really basic benefits, I think many expect too much of *S and *G on other airlines.

1KPath Nov 5, 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19628200)

Which has few benefits I can truly rely on:rolleyes:

I was loyal (to the extreme) to UA for nearly 35 years (before that it was TWA since 1KPath Dad was a pilot for them)...and I will still fly UA when it makes sense...but to be honest, since December of last year, it has only made sense for 26K BIS...compared to over 100K on AA and another 60-70K on BA and more on CX...you get the idea. I will make lifetime GS in 3-4 years, but in the meantime, good customer service and operational reliability trumps all loyalty to the corporate name United...for United is no longer the airline I once flew and could depend on!