FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United MileagePlus® Explorer Card -- why to keep? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1402482-united-mileageplus-explorer-card-why-keep.html)

SuperKirby Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by tomcat007 (Post 21267825)
Thanks. I'll check out the 99 cent song from the MP mall.

NP. Kinda obvious but make sure they make you sign into your MP account before opening the iTunes account, otherwise it won't work.

On another note, i have to buy my parents a 99 cent app every 18 months to prevent their miles from expiring. At this point i don't think they'll ever fly UA again, but i keep the miles active just in case. Parents can be so expensive....

Bigzamboni Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 20524733)
Are you referring to the now legacy Platinum Class Visa (Signature) Card? Getting paid EQM's on United.com purchased tickets and the annual Economy domestic companion pass, as difficult as it might be to use, is a pretty good reason to keep the card for $140 per year IMHO.

Ancient post, but replying anyway ;)
It's a Mastercard I was referring to. Don't think it offered anything other than free checked baggage, double miles on united purchases. Doesn't even give club passes. Certainly no EQM.

Diogenes1789 Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

A Reson to Keep the UA Explorer Card

I was planning on canceling the Explorer card, since why would I want to pay $89 for yet another card - but now found two reasons to keep it. #1, is the no for-ex fees on non-USA charges; but 2, is that I am able to buy French rail tickets with it online (after 2 phone calls to Chase to get if "verified) which I could not do with my Capital One card (also free of for-ex fees) . Now I will trash my more expensive Diners Club card - now only used because it gives primary auto insurance coverage when renting, which the Explorer Card now also does. And if I am no longer in elite status on UA in 2015, 'cause I am no longer buying many UA tickets, I can still get priority boarding. I got 30,000 miles for getting the (since cancelled) Continental Explorer card, and 30,000 for the UA card. Now if only there were a good way to use my miles.

bbmatt Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm

there are many other no annual fee no for-ex fee cards to choose from, other than the explorer card... for the UA bennies, great, but IMHO, I wouldn't do it for the no fees.

italdesign Feb 15, 2014 7:49 pm

I don't understand how CPU works for cardholders. You already get CPU if you're Premier. What advantage does this card give you then? Higher priority? International flights?

Baze Feb 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22356279)
I don't understand how CPU works for cardholders. You already get CPU if you're Premier. What advantage does this card give you then? Higher priority? International flights?

For paid tickets no advantage. What it does give you is the chance (though very small) of a CPU on an award ticket for CPU eligible flights. But you are at the bottom of the barrel for your status level for the CPU.

lazard Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

The CPU benefit for the card is useless if you already have status with UA. As for priority, I would assume card member CPUs would rank below Silver.

Baze Feb 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by lazard (Post 22356321)
The CPU benefit for the card is useless if you already have status with UA. As for priority, I would assume card member CPUs would rank below Silver.

Look at the upgrade confirmation priority section. The 3rd bullet under the table and the note with ** explain it.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx

You will see that CPU on award is within your status level but after all paid tickets.

And yes, to get the upgrade on award you need to be Silver or higher. So CPU with the card is not useless if you have Silver or higher status. Just your chances are not very good.

SuperKirby Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Beating a dead bush here, but to be clear: For cardholders who are Silver or higher, you get CPU on Award tickets. You DO NOT get CPU for Award tickets if you don't own a United credit card.

italdesign Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 22356678)
Beating a dead bush here, but to be clear: For cardholders who are Silver or higher, you get CPU on Award tickets. You DO NOT get CPU for Award tickets if you don't own a United credit card.

That clears it up. I had thought CPU was available to card-less Premiers on award tickets.

Baze Feb 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22360756)
That clears it up. I had thought CPU was available to card-less Premiers on award tickets.

Only Global Service

UAzip Feb 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 19672441)
It sounds like creditor is referring to this benefit:

So, yes, you can redeem for any seat at FULL price. Most people think that's not a very good bargain.

Indeed, the credit card is not "same as Silver" for award ticketing. All Premiers (down to Silver) get unrestricted access to United metal Standard Awards and "Better availability for United Saver Awards in economy" (i.e., XN instead of X available means expanded availability in play). Credit card doesn't do that for Saver Awards, even the Pres Plus (which offers last-seat availability on Standard awards, the pricey level).

SuperKirby Feb 27, 2014 12:39 am

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 22361087)
Indeed, the credit card is not "same as Silver" for award ticketing. All Premiers (down to Silver) get unrestricted access to United metal Standard Awards and "Better availability for United Saver Awards in economy" (i.e., XN instead of X available means expanded availability in play). Credit card doesn't do that for Saver Awards, even the Pres Plus (which offers last-seat availability on Standard awards, the pricey level).

The Explorer card does INDEED receive extra XN Saver availability even if you have no elite status. However, it is not a written disclosed perk so it can go away anytime. Although it's been there for almost a year now since i've noticed it in April 2013.

offdalip Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

United Chase MPE card

Tried to close the card out today, the guy offered 10,000 miles
not to close it. I couldn't resist even though I haven't used the
card much since Oct '13. Considered it a wash for the 95$ annual.
Don't know if I did the right thing for the 2 club certs that I hardly
ever use. I was planning on another signup after a year for
another 30k bonus.

Zappity Feb 27, 2014 2:41 pm

If you don't plan on using the club passes then give them away as gifts or sell them (and don't wait until right before expiration to sell them if you do, passes close to expiration sell for under $10 each on ebay sometimes).