Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PHX T2 United Club Closing, UA Moving to T3 on 3 Feb 2020, new UC date unknown

PHX T2 United Club Closing, UA Moving to T3 on 3 Feb 2020, new UC date unknown

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 22, 7:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
Still not open. Projected opening is Fall of 2022.

Current Status: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../default.aspx/

*****

E-Mail from United on 1/28/2020

We're changing terminals. Starting February 4, all our flights will depart and arrive from the new Terminal 3. If you're arriving in to Phoenix after 6 p.m. on February 3, you'll arrive at Terminal 3 as well.

United Club closure. Because of our move to Terminal 3, the United Club℠ location in Terminal 2 will close February 3. We're looking forward to bringing you a brand-new space in Terminal 3 later this year.

***


Print Wikipost

Old Jan 26, 20, 3:33 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This airport ceased being convenient for most visitors when they moved car rental to the Rental Car Center.
Absolutely correct. Add to that : in order to pay for the car rental center the city forced additional fees and taxes to the price of a rental making it prohibitively expensive. A huge inconvenience as well.
Now they are building an extension, I think, of the PHX Sky Train and they will make it even more expensive.

But back to the topic on hand. I just don't understand why UA either moves or has to move to T3 when parts are incomplete. It can't be so difficult to have everything ready at the same time. What's so
difficult to built a lounge from ground up? It's a glorified bar, a reception area and a couple of toilets. O.K., add some chairs. No need to construct marble columns, sophisticated ceilings, waterfalls or similar.
UA lounges are no display of architectural uniqueness, no Frank Lloyd Wright commissions. It will take an additional six months? It takes the Chinese 6 days to built a hospital for a thousand people! End
of rant.
Exleftseat is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:39 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: UA MM 1K
Posts: 2,878
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Absolutely correct. Add to that : in order to pay for the car rental center the city forced additional fees and taxes to the price of a rental making it prohibitively expensive. A huge inconvenience as well.
Now they are building an extension, I think, of the PHX Sky Train and they will make it even more expensive.

But back to the topic on hand. I just don't understand why UA either moves or has to move to T3 when parts are incomplete. It can't be so difficult to have everything ready at the same time. What's so
difficult to built a lounge from ground up? It's a glorified bar, a reception area and a couple of toilets. O.K., add some chairs. No need to construct marble columns, sophisticated ceilings, waterfalls or similar.
UA lounges are no display of architectural uniqueness, no Frank Lloyd Wright commissions. It will take an additional six months? It takes the Chinese 6 days to built a hospital for a thousand people! End
of rant.
I doubt UA is in charge of when they have to vacate T2 as I remember an agent telling me (the one trip I was there which was recent) that the terminal is being torn down. Putting up airline clubs are more complicated than what we might think on the surface. Remember the new ORD UC on Concourse C was delayed by upward of a year due to construction permit issues. Well... that's what I was told.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:44 pm
  #78  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,332
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This airport ceased being convenient for most visitors when they moved car rental to the Rental Car Center.
Yes, once PHX SkyTrain to Rent Car Center phase 2 construction is completed in 2022 or 2023. They will extended to Rent Car Center, but they have stop at West Ground Transportation near 24th St.

In a few years, you won't need take Rental Car shuttle bus anymore. You will be on PHX SkyTrain to RCC in between 2022 or 2023 during at that time.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:54 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I doubt UA is in charge of when they have to vacate T2 as I remember an agent telling me (the one trip I was there which was recent) that the terminal is being torn down. Putting up airline clubs are more complicated than what we might think on the surface. Remember the new ORD UC on Concourse C was delayed by upward of a year due to construction permit issues. Well... that's what I was told.
Admittedly I didn't consider the U.S. bureaucracy in regards to building permit issues. I have been living in Asia too long, seems things are always faster here. In any case, if the delay info is correct, seems to me it''s a major inconvenience. YMMV.
Exleftseat is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 4:57 pm
  #80  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Posts: 103
Is that *really* new furniture in the PHX club in the photos posted? It looks like UA took some of the CO ex-President's Club white armchairs from the early 2000s out of storage after one of the Polaris retrofits.

Last edited by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER; Jan 26, 20 at 5:42 pm
LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 5:40 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,284
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Absolutely correct. Add to that : in order to pay for the car rental center the city forced additional fees and taxes to the price of a rental making it prohibitively expensive. A huge inconvenience as well.
Now they are building an extension, I think, of the PHX Sky Train and they will make it even more expensive.

But back to the topic on hand. I just don't understand why UA either moves or has to move to T3 when parts are incomplete. It can't be so difficult to have everything ready at the same time. What's so
difficult to built a lounge from ground up? It's a glorified bar, a reception area and a couple of toilets. O.K., add some chairs. No need to construct marble columns, sophisticated ceilings, waterfalls or similar.
UA lounges are no display of architectural uniqueness, no Frank Lloyd Wright commissions. It will take an additional six months? It takes the Chinese 6 days to built a hospital for a thousand people! End
of rant.
Most likely (IMO and having some experience with commercial construction and read through RFPs for airport concessions in other airports what is happening (roughly) is that UA has a lease on a shell space for what will be the club that commences on some turnover date (either an arbitrary date, eg February 1st, or based on some milestone from the airport contractor (substantial completion, certificate of occupancy, ...) -- until UA has possession of the space, their contractors can't get in to do plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, carpet, paint, walls, etc.) -- by the time all of the permitting, inspections, and airport shenanaganery (everything takes longer at an airport) are done, then add delivery and installation of furniture, fixtures, and equipment -- 6 months is a long but conservative estimate that makes sense assuming UA can't start their construction until relatively close to their move date
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 6:28 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Most likely (IMO and having some experience with commercial construction and read through RFPs for airport concessions in other airports what is happening (roughly) is that UA has a lease on a shell space for what will be the club that commences on some turnover date (either an arbitrary date, eg February 1st, or based on some milestone from the airport contractor (substantial completion, certificate of occupancy, ...) -- until UA has possession of the space, their contractors can't get in to do plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, carpet, paint, walls, etc.) -- by the time all of the permitting, inspections, and airport shenanaganery (everything takes longer at an airport) are done, then add delivery and installation of furniture, fixtures, and equipment -- 6 months is a long but conservative estimate that makes sense assuming UA can't start their construction until relatively close to their move date
I appreciate that you are clearing this up. Turns out that I am looking at this in a very simplistic way not anticipating all these roadblocks along the journey. But with your explanation plus the permit situation it all falls into place. At least it won't take as long as BER ( EDDB ), I hope.
Thanks all.
Exleftseat is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 1:20 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Programs: *G, AA, UA 1 Million
Posts: 11
PHX is my primary airport, the current club is substandard, but it's better than nothing.
Without a club to use until sometime later in the year will United extend my annual club fee?
Of course not.
Somehow this airline knows how to screw its loyal customers.
GlobalServices1 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 1:39 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,284
Originally Posted by GlobalServices1 View Post
PHX is my primary airport, the current club is substandard, but it's better than nothing.
Without a club to use until sometime later in the year will United extend my annual club fee?
Of course not.
Somehow this airline knows how to screw its loyal customers.
I hear your pain, but to be fair to UA it's not like they're saying you can't use every other club in the system while your home club is out of commission. You're certainly free to ask though...

To the topic at hand the PHX and MSP UA clubs always felt very tiny and time-machine-esque to me though I have a hard time mentally distinguishing them -- I think PHX has (had?) the smallest men's room I've found in an airport and one of the smallest bars.
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 8:37 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX, ICN
Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 423
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Most likely (IMO and having some experience with commercial construction and read through RFPs for airport concessions in other airports what is happening (roughly) is that UA has a lease on a shell space for what will be the club that commences on some turnover date (either an arbitrary date, eg February 1st, or based on some milestone from the airport contractor (substantial completion, certificate of occupancy, ...) -- until UA has possession of the space, their contractors can't get in to do plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, carpet, paint, walls, etc.) -- by the time all of the permitting, inspections, and airport shenanaganery (everything takes longer at an airport) are done, then add delivery and installation of furniture, fixtures, and equipment -- 6 months is a long but conservative estimate that makes sense assuming UA can't start their construction until relatively close to their move date
I was about to mention (again) DL getting their lounge open 1 day after switching at PHX, then remembered that DL was just moving to a different part of T3. So even though they built a SkyLounge from scratch (and apparently completed it 3 months before the new concourse actually opened), they probably had access to build all through the new modernization.
SightseeMC is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:15 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: UA MM 1K
Posts: 2,878
Originally Posted by SightseeMC View Post
I was about to mention (again) DL getting their lounge open 1 day after switching at PHX, then remembered that DL was just moving to a different part of T3. So even though they built a SkyLounge from scratch (and apparently completed it 3 months before the new concourse actually opened), they probably had access to build all through the new modernization.
Or maybe DL is just better at this stuff than UA. I gather DL is going to have their new SC ready at ORD T5 for when they make their big move from T2 to T5 next year.
EWR764 likes this.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 7:41 am
  #87  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,554
While there is no update on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l/notices.html yet, I did get an e-mail saying:

We're changing terminals. Starting February 4, all our flights will depart and arrive from the new Terminal 3. If you're arriving in to Phoenix after 6 p.m. on February 3, you'll arrive at Terminal 3 as well.*

United Club closure. Because of our move to Terminal 3, the United Club℠ location in Terminal 2 will close February 3. We're looking forward to bringing you a brand-new space in Terminal 3 later this year.

So, this is a day later than what they had said, sort of. I will alert the Moderators to update the thread title.
username is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 4:58 pm
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,332
Hi all, I visit at PHX airport today. I just saw new baggage service office at T3. I took a pics.


This is United Airlines baggage service, but I don't know which ticket counter will be.
EWR764 and SightseeMC like this.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:20 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 3,046
Originally Posted by GlobalServices1 View Post
PHX is my primary airport, the current club is substandard, but it's better than nothing.
Without a club to use until sometime later in the year will United extend my annual club fee?
Of course not.
Somehow this airline knows how to screw its loyal customers.
Also was my go to airport with more recent increase in use of PHX. Per my comment above I guess from the more recent posts we are looking at "some time this year" have an operation UC at PHX. Poor planning and it is a rip-off to pax that PHX is home base. I would indeed inquire about extended club fee, all they can say is no (and probably will).
nomad420 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:35 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hi all, I visit at PHX airport today. I just saw new baggage service office at T3. I took a pics.


This is United Airlines baggage service, but I don't know which ticket counter will be.
Really looks not much different than the one in T2.
Exleftseat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread