Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PHX T2 United Club Closed, UA Moved to T3 on 3 Feb 2020, new T3 UC 27 Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
ETA as of early September 2022: end of September 2022.

Current Status: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/locations/default.aspx/

E-Mail from United on 1/28/2020

We're changing terminals. Starting February 4, all our flights will depart and arrive from the new Terminal 3. If you're arriving in to Phoenix after 6 p.m. on February 3, you'll arrive at Terminal 3 as well.

United Club closure. Because of our move to Terminal 3, the United Club℠ location in Terminal 2 will close February 3. We're looking forward to bringing you a brand-new space in Terminal 3 later this year.

Print Wikipost

PHX T2 United Club Closed, UA Moved to T3 on 3 Feb 2020, new T3 UC 27 Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This airport ceased being convenient for most visitors when they moved car rental to the Rental Car Center.
Absolutely correct. Add to that : in order to pay for the car rental center the city forced additional fees and taxes to the price of a rental making it prohibitively expensive. A huge inconvenience as well.
Now they are building an extension, I think, of the PHX Sky Train and they will make it even more expensive.

But back to the topic on hand. I just don't understand why UA either moves or has to move to T3 when parts are incomplete. It can't be so difficult to have everything ready at the same time. What's so
difficult to built a lounge from ground up? It's a glorified bar, a reception area and a couple of toilets. O.K., add some chairs. No need to construct marble columns, sophisticated ceilings, waterfalls or similar.
UA lounges are no display of architectural uniqueness, no Frank Lloyd Wright commissions. It will take an additional six months? It takes the Chinese 6 days to built a hospital for a thousand people! End
of rant.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Absolutely correct. Add to that : in order to pay for the car rental center the city forced additional fees and taxes to the price of a rental making it prohibitively expensive. A huge inconvenience as well.
Now they are building an extension, I think, of the PHX Sky Train and they will make it even more expensive.

But back to the topic on hand. I just don't understand why UA either moves or has to move to T3 when parts are incomplete. It can't be so difficult to have everything ready at the same time. What's so
difficult to built a lounge from ground up? It's a glorified bar, a reception area and a couple of toilets. O.K., add some chairs. No need to construct marble columns, sophisticated ceilings, waterfalls or similar.
UA lounges are no display of architectural uniqueness, no Frank Lloyd Wright commissions. It will take an additional six months? It takes the Chinese 6 days to built a hospital for a thousand people! End
of rant.
I doubt UA is in charge of when they have to vacate T2 as I remember an agent telling me (the one trip I was there which was recent) that the terminal is being torn down. Putting up airline clubs are more complicated than what we might think on the surface. Remember the new ORD UC on Concourse C was delayed by upward of a year due to construction permit issues. Well... that's what I was told.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Kacee
This airport ceased being convenient for most visitors when they moved car rental to the Rental Car Center.
Yes, once PHX SkyTrain to Rent Car Center phase 2 construction is completed in 2022 or 2023. They will extended to Rent Car Center, but they have stop at West Ground Transportation near 24th St.

In a few years, you won't need take Rental Car shuttle bus anymore. You will be on PHX SkyTrain to RCC in between 2022 or 2023 during at that time.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I doubt UA is in charge of when they have to vacate T2 as I remember an agent telling me (the one trip I was there which was recent) that the terminal is being torn down. Putting up airline clubs are more complicated than what we might think on the surface. Remember the new ORD UC on Concourse C was delayed by upward of a year due to construction permit issues. Well... that's what I was told.
Admittedly I didn't consider the U.S. bureaucracy in regards to building permit issues. I have been living in Asia too long, seems things are always faster here. In any case, if the delay info is correct, seems to me it''s a major inconvenience. YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Is that *really* new furniture in the PHX club in the photos posted? It looks like UA took some of the CO ex-President's Club white armchairs from the early 2000s out of storage after one of the Polaris retrofits.

Last edited by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER; Jan 26, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat

of rant.
Most likely (IMO and having some experience with commercial construction and read through RFPs for airport concessions in other airports what is happening (roughly) is that UA has a lease on a shell space for what will be the club that commences on some turnover date (either an arbitrary date, eg February 1st, or based on some milestone from the airport contractor (substantial completion, certificate of occupancy, ...) -- until UA has possession of the space, their contractors can't get in to do plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, carpet, paint, walls, etc.) -- by the time all of the permitting, inspections, and airport shenanaganery (everything takes longer at an airport) are done, then add delivery and installation of furniture, fixtures, and equipment -- 6 months is a long but conservative estimate that makes sense assuming UA can't start their construction until relatively close to their move date
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Most likely (IMO and having some experience with commercial construction and read through RFPs for airport concessions in other airports what is happening (roughly) is that UA has a lease on a shell space for what will be the club that commences on some turnover date (either an arbitrary date, eg February 1st, or based on some milestone from the airport contractor (substantial completion, certificate of occupancy, ...) -- until UA has possession of the space, their contractors can't get in to do plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, carpet, paint, walls, etc.) -- by the time all of the permitting, inspections, and airport shenanaganery (everything takes longer at an airport) are done, then add delivery and installation of furniture, fixtures, and equipment -- 6 months is a long but conservative estimate that makes sense assuming UA can't start their construction until relatively close to their move date
I appreciate that you are clearing this up. Turns out that I am looking at this in a very simplistic way not anticipating all these roadblocks along the journey. But with your explanation plus the permit situation it all falls into place. At least it won't take as long as BER ( EDDB ), I hope.
Thanks all.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: *G, AA, UA 1 Million
PHX is my primary airport, the current club is substandard, but it's better than nothing.
Without a club to use until sometime later in the year will United extend my annual club fee?
Of course not.
Somehow this airline knows how to screw its loyal customers.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GlobalServices1
PHX is my primary airport, the current club is substandard, but it's better than nothing.
Without a club to use until sometime later in the year will United extend my annual club fee?
Of course not.
I hear your pain, but to be fair to UA it's not like they're saying you can't use every other club in the system while your home club is out of commission. You're certainly free to ask though...

To the topic at hand the PHX and MSP UA clubs always felt very tiny and time-machine-esque to me though I have a hard time mentally distinguishing them -- I think PHX has (had?) the smallest men's room I've found in an airport and one of the smallest bars.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I was about to mention (again) DL getting their lounge open 1 day after switching at PHX, then remembered that DL was just moving to a different part of T3. So even though they built a SkyLounge from scratch (and apparently completed it 3 months before the new concourse actually opened), they probably had access to build all through the new modernization.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I was about to mention (again) DL getting their lounge open 1 day after switching at PHX, then remembered that DL was just moving to a different part of T3. So even though they built a SkyLounge from scratch (and apparently completed it 3 months before the new concourse actually opened), they probably had access to build all through the new modernization.
Or maybe DL is just better at this stuff than UA. I gather DL is going to have their new SC ready at ORD T5 for when they make their big move from T2 to T5 next year.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While there is no update on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l/notices.html yet, I did get an e-mail saying:

We're changing terminals. Starting February 4, all our flights will depart and arrive from the new Terminal 3. If you're arriving in to Phoenix after 6 p.m. on February 3, you'll arrive at Terminal 3 as well.*

United Club closure. Because of our move to Terminal 3, the United Club℠ location in Terminal 2 will close February 3. We're looking forward to bringing you a brand-new space in Terminal 3 later this year.

So, this is a day later than what they had said, sort of. I will alert the Moderators to update the thread title.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all, I visit at PHX airport today. I just saw new baggage service office at T3. I took a pics.

This is United Airlines baggage service, but I don't know which ticket counter will be.
EWR764 and SightseeMC like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GlobalServices1
Of course not.
Also was my go to airport with more recent increase in use of PHX. Per my comment above I guess from the more recent posts we are looking at "some time this year" have an operation UC at PHX. Poor planning and it is a rip-off to pax that PHX is home base. I would indeed inquire about extended club fee, all they can say is no (and probably will).
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all, I visit at PHX airport today. I just saw new baggage service office at T3. I took a pics.

This is United Airlines baggage service, but I don't know which ticket counter will be.
Really looks not much different than the one in T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.