Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Print Wikipost

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:57 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I also have (R class requested) on mine using GPU. Any idea ?? Did anyone who has this actually cleared the upgrade??

Do i need to call them back ??
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
I have this difference within the same reservation... Is it because its below a W fare?
This screenshot is very odd because GPUs are not valid on L fares. Are you sure you are not requesting with mileage?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
I also have (R class requested) on mine using GPU. Any idea ?? Did anyone who has this actually cleared the upgrade??

Do i need to call them back ??
I am also curious on how this plays out. Can anyone provide an update ?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Let me add to the confusion.

Just upgraded 2 identical domestic itineraries...different passengers...(one with an RPU and the other with an expiring GPU)

Went in to look at records and one reservation shows Upgrade Requested and the other shows R Class Requested.

Three minutes later, when I went in to look at the records, it now shows Upgrade Requested for both reservations.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Let me add to the confusion.

Just upgraded 2 identical domestic itineraries...different passengers...(one with an RPU and the other with an expiring GPU)

Went in to look at records and one reservation shows Upgrade Requested and the other shows R Class Requested.

Three minutes later, when I went in to look at the records, it now shows Upgrade Requested for both reservations.
Gotta love SHARES...I've got an "IN Requested" - mixed cabin award 25k first one-way ticket but never sen this one before.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
So it sounds like the "[X] class requested" has replaced the old "Waitlisted" nomenclature. I think conceptually an upgrade list is just another waitlist, and there's probably some separate process that pulls the correct supporting instrument. When those processes don't run simultaneously, or when the second process fails to run, you wind up on the waitlist but without having supported the upgrade.

It makes sense that there would then be some followon process to audit the upgrade waitlist to be sure that instruments have been pulled before you're cleared from it.

However, some have reported that, in this scenario, the GA will ask you to support the upgrade at the gate, as s/he is running the upgrade list - and that if you can't support it, you'll find yourself in a bad Y seat. This implies you had already lost your carefully selected Y aisle or bulkhead or exit row seat, which implies that the upgrade had already cleared.

So if this happens at the gate, the GA is prompted to ask you for an instrument and downgrade you if you don't have one... what happens if you get to the top of the upgrade list and R inventory appears, before it goes to the gate? Will the system skip you and/or remove you from the waitlist?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K
I got the "R class requested" for a flight where I had to change the booking on the phone from EWR-SYD (via SFO) to JFK-SYD (via LAX). I had already paid the co-pay for the EWR-SFO-SYD upgrade waitlist, and when I changed to the JFK-LAX-SYD flight, the agent said to me on the phone that she'll just put me on a waitlist on the new flight, and that change appeared as a "R class requested". I wonder if that's part of the answer - i.e. when the agent does something manually?

As an aside, i made 3 calls to the 1K line to get this flight booked and received very, very poor service overall. The booking agents were ill-informed about things that I learnt through a couple of minutes of online research in flyer talk and seat guru. For example, one insisted that I could get a instant upgrade on the SFO-SYD flight by purchasing Y,B,M, over my protests and skepticism - which of course proved to be totally false after he charged my credit card for the extra $$. Another agent today said that the first agent could not possibly have said that. The extent of incompetence and the depth of the bad customer service is staggering. If I get treated like this as a 1K on the 1K phone line, I shudder to think what the customer service is like for non-elite passengers. I'm now not surprised at the newspaper article I read last week (WSJ or NYTimes) that United ranks dead last in customer service.

Okay, end of my little off-topic rant.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Onepass
Has anyone gotten an answer on this? It (R-class requested) is also showing for me for a domestic segment requested upgrade using RPU. International legs using GPU showing the arrow with Upgrade Requested. Kind of curious. My flights are not until May, I'm hoping by applying the instruments early enough that they will clear as soon as the R space opens (I'm a 1K). All segments in W class,
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Why did you use a RPU for the domestic portion? If all the fights are in the same record, a GPU will cover both. (In 1 direction) You should call in and have them sort it out.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Sil, EK Sil, SPG G, Marriott G, Hilton S, National Exec, Global Entry, AMEX Plat
Did anyone find our the cause for this?

I made an itinerary change from HKG-LAS-HKG (used two GPUs to be waitlisted on both segments) to HKG-LAS-LAX-ORD-HKG and now it is showing "r class requested" for my ORD-HKG leg which I used a GPU for.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Onepass
My reservation went back to showing the upgrade requested with arrow for all segments, for whatever that is worth. I used the RPU on the domestic leg because that is what the computer prompted me to do; perhaps because of a lengthy layover? No big deal for me as I'm overseas and won't otherwise use the RPU.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interesting web site glitch - "R Class Requested" Displayed When Using GPU

I noticed this earlier after having a phone rep help apply a GPU and thought I'd share. Instead of the Upgrade Requested logo, it say R-Class Requested.

Mods, I went 5 pages deep and couldn't find the mass thread on ua.com issues so feel free to move.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2013 at 9:37 am Reason: poor thread title - vague
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
As a 1K, you're entitled to an instant upgrade into R (no instrument required) on Y, B, and M classes. Bottom line, you didn't need to use a GPU. It's tricky to figure it out, but you can upgrade yourself if a F seat is available on united.com.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
945 is FRA-ORD (at least it is today), which does require a GPU.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
945 is FRA-ORD (at least it is today), which does require a GPU.
Yes, and it will be FRA-ORD when I fly it Friday. I didn't think there were any fare buckets that gave free (no GPU or buy-up) upgrades for International destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.