Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
Thanks, I am flying mostly international itineraries and looking into booking similar in this way so would definitely want to know if I am paying more if it will end up really worthwhile if i need to make changes or cancel. I do completely understand that the fare difference will always come into it when there is one but I just meant any penalties incurred. Also, I am not sure i am searching things right but I can't seem to find things when I put terms in the search box at top of webpage, this time I tried putting in GG BUYUP but got the message there was nothing meeting my search criteria. Not sure what I am doing wrong but this happens to me a lot when I am trying to find something that I know is on here somewhere!! Could you possibly send me a link and maybe comment/suggest what I could be doing wrong when doing my searches? Thanks again so much!
For international itineraries you definitely want to read the fare rules to know what you're getting. Unless you frequently make multiple changes to tickets, it is usually better to just buy lowest available and eat change fees.

Sorry, I totally forgot to link the thread, but this post was merged into it anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
I can't seem to find things when I put terms in the search box at top of webpage
FT search function doesn't work so well. Just use google (e.g., "flyertalk united gg buyup").
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Does GGBUYUP go to the current in-market fares, or does it look at the fares in place when the ticket was originally issued?

I have a biz ticket and when it was issued there was an /UPDI first fare for about 1k more each way, if I call and ask about ggbuyup will they use that fare, or does it reprice everything?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrt88
Does GGBUYUP go to the current in-market fares, or does it look at the fares in place when the ticket was originally issued?

I have a biz ticket and when it was issued there was an /UPDI first fare for about 1k more each way, if I call and ask about ggbuyup will they use that fare, or does it reprice everything?
If you use the Change Flights tool online to change your flight(s) to the same flights/dates but in business class, the GG BUYUP will be whatever upgrade price is shown, except that the change fee is waived if you call in.

The GG BUYUP price isn't static (i.e., it's not a set upgrade price at any time between booking and departure, depending on original fare paid).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The GG BUYUP price isn't static (i.e., it's not a set upgrade price at any time between booking and departure, depending on original fare paid).
Correct.

OP: Whether or not historical fares can be used depends upon the fare rule and the time of the request. Generally, if you're up-faring the first leg of a trip, you're going to have to re-price everything. If you're up-faring a subsequent leg, you will generally get historical prices applied to current inventory. I'm sure there are some weird edge cases but that's a decent rule of thumb.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP: Whether or not historical fares can be used depends upon the fare rule and the time of the request. Generally, if you're up-faring the first leg of a trip, you're going to have to re-price everything. If you're up-faring a subsequent leg, you will generally get historical prices applied to current inventory. I'm sure there are some weird edge cases but that's a decent rule of thumb.
The couple times I tried this, it was a disaster. The price for the return only was higher than for the round trip. But, as you said, these might have been exceptions.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Thanks joe_miami! Thanks jsloan!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The couple times I tried this, it was a disaster. The price for the return only was higher than for the round trip. But, as you said, these might have been exceptions.
You may sometimes get different results if you try it after flying the outbound vs. before, as on some fares, it'll force a reprice on un-flown segments even if not changing the outbound.

If it's more expensive to up-fare just the return than it is the roundtrip, either there's some strange combinability issue -- certainly possible, but a little rare -- or maybe you had an unusual fare break or something. For example, if you flew MIA-FRA-LHR / LHR-EWR-MIA, you might have a MIA-FRA fare with a stopover at LHR, in which case I'd expect to see exactly the behavior you're describing.

Good word of caution, though -- definitely something to be aware of if you're looking to do a partial up-fare.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
Hey,

I’m flying tomorrow and I was upgraded with a GPU, I was W class. And I am wondering if I can buy up to Y just to accumulate more PQM’s?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
Hey,

I’m flying tomorrow and I was upgraded with a GPU, I was W class. And I am wondering if I can buy up to Y just to accumulate more PQM’s?
I think the best answer here is that this would be quite difficult and more importantly prohibitively expensive. Unless you have a specific, cheap-ish Y/B fare in mind, Premier Accelerator (already a bad deal) is probably a better source of PQM.
.Benjamin. likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Is it possible to do a GG BUYUP on a Basic Economy ticket to a higher economy fare (S, T, L, K, etc.)? Use case: segment R is available and want to use instrument, but ticket is BE
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by miasmal
Is it possible to do a GG BUYUP on a Basic Economy ticket to a higher economy fare (S, T, L, K, etc.)? Use case: segment R is available and want to use instrument, but ticket is BE
only for GS. You can try, but by the rules you can't.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Star Alliance
GG Buy-Up

I figured out that I would still need an additional $131 PQD to reach Gold this year after flying my remaining itineraries. I called the UA Priority Desk and, although it took half a hour, the let me buy up to a higher fare class for one segment for $169.82 which would add $150 PQD. Otherwise, I was going to have to take a shorty one-day round-trip to get in the extra spending, still more than four hours of my time with going to the airport, going through security, etc. I asked for a GG Buy-Up and the rep knew what to do...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I know this is specifically for UA, but does anyone know of an equivalent process for other carriers on a 016 ticket? I have a 016 ticket with the TPAC segments on UA (already upgraded to PZ via GPU) and I was hoping to buy up to J on the NH segments within Asia. In the past I've rolled the dice and asked at the airport once in Asia with moderate success, but I was hoping to confirm ahead of time.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
I know this is specifically for UA, but does anyone know of an equivalent process for other carriers on a 016 ticket? I have a 016 ticket with the TPAC segments on UA (already upgraded to PZ via GPU) and I was hoping to buy up to J on the NH segments within Asia. In the past I've rolled the dice and asked at the airport once in Asia with moderate success, but I was hoping to confirm ahead of time.
it can be done, but it will be ridiculously expensive. You are asking to re-fare to a Y-class open jaw with an end-on-end full fare J. Totally doable ... expect a huge price tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.