FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New UA Revenue Fare Bucket "N" Class - UPDATE: Earns 100% PQMs/RDMs. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1379487-new-ua-revenue-fare-bucket-n-class-update-earns-100-pqms-rdms.html)

channa Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am

New UA Revenue Fare Bucket "N" Class - UPDATE: Earns 100% PQMs/RDMs.

Moderator note: UA Insider responded in post 46 that this was an oversight and that N fare earns 100% RDMs and PQMs.

I just spotted a couple of published revenue fares that booked into "N." This appears to be lower than "G," the previous lowest fare bucket.

"N" is not mentioned on the mileage chart, and united.com shows it as 0% miles.

If this is true and not a mistake, buyer beware when buying UA tickets:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...1/UANClass.jpg

Moderator Edit:

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 19166873)
Channa,

Good catch. This is a display issue on united.com concerning "N" class. It should be showing 100% PQMs. This issue should be corrected soon.

Thank you,

Carlos F.

787fan Aug 21, 2012 9:44 am

I've seen it before. Perhaps priceline.com hidden fares (the ones require bidding) go into the N bucket ?

FlyWorld Aug 21, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 19164818)
I just spotted a couple of published revenue fares that booked into "N." This appears to be lower than "G," the previous lowest fare bucket.

"N" is not mentioned on the mileage chart, and united.com shows it as 0% miles.

If this is true and not a mistake, buyer beware when buying UA tickets:

Thanks for sharing this.

< $300 from SFO to Kona? That's also cheaper than I've ever seen before especially since it's not a redeye.

Since 1K doesn't seem to be worth anything anymore, maybe we should all start flying on N fares and just enjoy the savings.

You'll end up in front on a TOD anyway.

entropy Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am

maybe its matching those Delta drop dead fares....

PV_Premier Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am

:td::td::td::td::td::td:

changes you'll like courtesy of Smi/J

this is weak sauce on UA's part, fare match to AS and 0% RDM/EQM. way to incentivize people to look at you as a "competitor"

fragment54 Aug 21, 2012 9:51 am

Just replicated and the N class shows for all flights on that date not involving a partner airline (basically both non-stops and the all UA w/ stops). Horrible.

username Aug 21, 2012 9:52 am

This is not a good development. For those of us who book through the corporate systems that use the lowest rate, we can end up on this fare and get nothing. Hopefully it is not made available on the GDS.

escapefromphl Aug 21, 2012 9:56 am

This is horrible, our travel booking system requires us to book lowest fare within $100. If United has one of these in the system I will go out of my way to avoid flying them regardless of benefits. Would rather they just bring back Ted. What are the fare restrictions? Hopefully 6 weeks advance purchase, so the corporate customer never encounters them.

aacharya Aug 21, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ddrost1 (Post 19164862)
:td::td::td::td::td::td:

changes you'll like courtesy of Smi/J

this is weak sauce on UA's part, fare match to AS and 0% RDM/EQM. way to incentivize people to look at you as a "competitor"

What is weaker is the used up "changes you will like" comment when for all we know, it's a new bucket that just hasn't been programmed in.

I miss logical discourse on this forum.

murphyUA Aug 21, 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19164936)
What is weaker is the used up "changes you will like" comment when for all we know, it's a new bucket that just hasn't been programmed in.

I miss logical discourse on this forum.

So you think that your conjecture and assumptions are more logical than the fact that N does not show up on the mileage charts and it clearly says 0% on the itin page and the fact that UA's competitors are introducing no frills fares.

J.Edward Aug 21, 2012 10:12 am

Moderator Note: the topic of this thread is "N" class ability to earn PQMs/RDMs -- a topic which easily could affect many, many people.

Let's keep a respectful discussion focused on that, leave out the personal commentary on each other, and hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
co-moderator UA

aCavalierInCoach Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am

has anyone actually called MP to find out about this? I have a number of reservations where flights booked into various premium classes are showing 0% and I will be... surprised if they are not mileage earning.

That said, I also put out a prediction a couple threads back that UA would begin reducing the PQMs on discounted fares by 2014. Could be that I wasn't aggressive enough.

Bulldog83 Aug 21, 2012 10:28 am

N was a PMCO fare bucket that was eliminated back in October -- a couple of notes from sbm12 at the time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17296490-post23.html

"N - This will be unused (possibly for industry discount tix)"

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/

"The N fare bucket is currently flagged as unused in the system; it is the only letter as yet unused."

So if we're tossing out wild theories, I will assume that these are fares that are not supposed to be offered to the public (kind of like the KE ROR mistake fare?)

Often1 Aug 21, 2012 10:46 am

I fail to understand the upset:

1. If indeed UA is introducing a rock-bottom fare with no benefits, that increases consumer choice.

2. If your employer lives in the last century, that's between you and your head hunter.

3. So long as you pay attention to detail when booking, the ordinary traveler will face no problems. Those who either need to save or don't care about miles, get a break. Others can pay a bit more.

avidflyer Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19165299)
I fail to understand the upset:

1. If indeed UA is introducing a rock-bottom fare with no benefits, that increases consumer choice.

2. If your employer lives in the last century, that's between you and your head hunter.

3. So long as you pay attention to detail when booking, the ordinary traveler will face no problems. Those who either need to save or don't care about miles, get a break. Others can pay a bit more.

+1