Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Revenue Fare Bucket "N" Class - UPDATE: Earns 100% PQMs/RDMs.

Old Aug 21, 12, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Moderator note: UA Insider responded in post 46 that this was an oversight and that N fare earns 100% RDMs and PQMs.

I just spotted a couple of published revenue fares that booked into "N." This appears to be lower than "G," the previous lowest fare bucket.

"N" is not mentioned on the mileage chart, and united.com shows it as 0% miles.

If this is true and not a mistake, buyer beware when buying UA tickets:

Moderator Edit:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Channa,

Good catch. This is a display issue on united.com concerning "N" class. It should be showing 100% PQMs. This issue should be corrected soon.

Thank you,

Carlos F.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 21, 12 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I just spotted a couple of published revenue fares that booked into "N." This appears to be lower than "G," the previous lowest fare bucket.

"N" is not mentioned on the mileage chart, and united.com shows it as 0% miles.

If this is true and not a mistake, buyer beware when buying UA tickets:

Thanks for sharing this.

< $300 from SFO to Kona? That's also cheaper than I've ever seen before especially since it's not a redeye.

Since 1K doesn't seem to be worth anything anymore, maybe we should all start flying on N fares and just enjoy the savings.

You'll end up in front on a TOD anyway.
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
maybe its matching those Delta drop dead fares....
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

changes you'll like courtesy of Smi/J

this is weak sauce on UA's part, fare match to AS and 0% RDM/EQM. way to incentivize people to look at you as a "competitor"
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:51 am

Just replicated and the N class shows for all flights on that date not involving a partner airline (basically both non-stops and the all UA w/ stops). Horrible.
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not a good development. For those of us who book through the corporate systems that use the lowest rate, we can end up on this fare and get nothing. Hopefully it is not made available on the GDS.
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA
This is horrible, our travel booking system requires us to book lowest fare within $100. If United has one of these in the system I will go out of my way to avoid flying them regardless of benefits. Would rather they just bring back Ted. What are the fare restrictions? Hopefully 6 weeks advance purchase, so the corporate customer never encounters them.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Aug 21, 12 at 10:06 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ddrost1 View Post

changes you'll like courtesy of Smi/J

this is weak sauce on UA's part, fare match to AS and 0% RDM/EQM. way to incentivize people to look at you as a "competitor"
What is weaker is the used up "changes you will like" comment when for all we know, it's a new bucket that just hasn't been programmed in.

I miss logical discourse on this forum.
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
What is weaker is the used up "changes you will like" comment when for all we know, it's a new bucket that just hasn't been programmed in.

I miss logical discourse on this forum.
So you think that your conjecture and assumptions are more logical than the fact that N does not show up on the mileage charts and it clearly says 0% on the itin page and the fact that UA's competitors are introducing no frills fares.

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 21, 12 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:12 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation

Moderator Note: the topic of this thread is "N" class ability to earn PQMs/RDMs -- a topic which easily could affect many, many people.

Let's keep a respectful discussion focused on that, leave out the personal commentary on each other, and hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
co-moderator UA

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 21, 12 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:20 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
has anyone actually called MP to find out about this? I have a number of reservations where flights booked into various premium classes are showing 0% and I will be... surprised if they are not mileage earning.

That said, I also put out a prediction a couple threads back that UA would begin reducing the PQMs on discounted fares by 2014. Could be that I wasn't aggressive enough.
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:28 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
N was a PMCO fare bucket that was eliminated back in October -- a couple of notes from sbm12 at the time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17296490-post23.html

"N - This will be unused (possibly for industry discount tix)"

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/

"The N fare bucket is currently flagged as unused in the system; it is the only letter as yet unused."

So if we're tossing out wild theories, I will assume that these are fares that are not supposed to be offered to the public (kind of like the KE ROR mistake fare?)
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I fail to understand the upset:

1. If indeed UA is introducing a rock-bottom fare with no benefits, that increases consumer choice.

2. If your employer lives in the last century, that's between you and your head hunter.

3. So long as you pay attention to detail when booking, the ordinary traveler will face no problems. Those who either need to save or don't care about miles, get a break. Others can pay a bit more.
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

1. If indeed UA is introducing a rock-bottom fare with no benefits, that increases consumer choice.

2. If your employer lives in the last century, that's between you and your head hunter.

3. So long as you pay attention to detail when booking, the ordinary traveler will face no problems. Those who either need to save or don't care about miles, get a break. Others can pay a bit more.
+1
Old Aug 21, 12, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

The problem is that it's a slippery slope. To date there has never been a published fare that didn't earn PQM's.. once it starts, where does it end? Suddenly you may see N popping up all over the place. I'm not yet convinced the N fare doesn't earn PQM's... it's definitely possible the PQM's just aren't displaying correctly on the website..we've all seen that before. I hope that's the case. There's nothing in the fare rules for that N fare that precludes PQM earnings (not that there definitely would be).

And for those who have always earned miles on paid flights and who don't pay attention when booking... imagine their shock when they earn nothing. It's not like they have a big flashing banner with a warning..which they should if indeed this fare doesn't qualify. This is a major shift from historical practices (if true).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: