Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO Policy? F-Class Must Be Seated When Pilot Uses Restroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I was on the IAD-HNL flight last week and was surprised when the cabin staff directed that all F-Class passengers remain seated when the Pilot was out of the cockpit to use the restroom. For me, the timing was quite bad as my son chose that time to spill his drink on my lap. As a long time UAL flyer (Global Services), I made an issue with the cabin staff that I never heard of this policy. It then became clear that it was a Continental Policy and this crew made it clear during the announcements at the start of the flight that they were a CO legacy crew. Unexpectedly, a UAL representative met me upon arrival to discuss my concern and advised that at present the policy differences between CO and UAL will take some time to work out so for now it depends on the crew you get. It's always annoyed me that the forward lavatories get blocked on an extended basis for pilots use but the idea that all passengers have to remain seated seems really excessive.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Post 9-11, on every US airline, when a pilot comes out of the cockpit, the forward area is blocked off or all passengers are prohibited from approaching.

While this may seem excessive to some, it is a common sense security measure, so whether you are GS or 1K, it applies to everyone.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:04 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dh01
Post 9-11, on every US airline, when a pilot comes out of the cockpit, the forward area is blocked off or all passengers are prohibited from approaching.

While this may seem excessive to some, it is a common sense security measure, so whether you are GS or 1K, it applies to everyone.
I think the OP's issue was being forced to sit in his or her seat, not whether he or she could "approach" the cockpit.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by dh01

excess reference was to remaining seated, not blocking forward area
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

I could understand it if they didnt block the aisle with a cart or the fencing some planes has. But as long as they have that and are manning it as well, just another DUMB CO policy
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by craz
I could understand it if they didnt block the aisle with a cart or the fencing some planes has. But as long as they have that and are manning it as well, just another DUMB CO policy
I got in a heated debate with the purser about this while sitting in Business IAH-SJC (Paid) in Feb. I was told it was going to be 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, with no movement in the cockpit door, I stood up to use the lavatories in the rear of the plane, and got yelled at for standing up. Ignored it and navigated the line and the service cart to actually use the restroom.

It's a [ridiculous] policy and isn't announced nor stated ahead of time.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm Reason: [ridiculous] word substitution per tos
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oblisk
I got in a heated debate with the purser about this while sitting in Business IAH-SJC (Paid) in Feb. I was told it was going to be 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, with no movement in the cockpit door, I stood up to use the lavatories in the rear of the plane, and got yelled at for standing up. Ignored it and navigated the line and the service cart to actually use the restroom.

Even if it is announced its still [ridiculous]!! as long as Im not trying to get passed the cart or fencing everyone should be able to stand and dance if thats what they want to

why cant I stand up and walk back to coach to use those lavs???

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm Reason: Word substitution to comply with tos
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Hey -- in Texas, when something seems as though it will be beneficial to 'Merica's security, it will be done, and you will gladly sit down and take it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA
For sure not on UA legacy flights. Just recently got up on the upper deck 747 and walked downstairs to the rest rooms. A really stupid policy also seeing how long they sometimes block the forward area.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by GBadger
Hey -- in Texas, when something seems as though it will be beneficial to 'Merica's security, it will be done, and you will gladly sit down and take it.
I thought them Texan's were an independent folk who could stand up for themselves, not some cry-babies who need to be coddled into feelin' safe at every turn.

It's a shame the airlines continues to live by fear with policies such as this.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
NONSENSE!

Correct that one cannot approach the f/c head if the one of the pilots is using it but wrong that the entire f/c cabin must remain seated. If I need to use the head, I'm gonna go the the business class one (if applicable) or trod down to the village and use the one there-plane and simple.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like crew training issue. I was on 4 back-to-back sCO flights last week. On all of them, when a cockpit crew member was out of the cockpit, F pax were simply directed to the Y lavs (2 of them 757's, so not even a real detour).

I hesitate to call things "policies" because a crew member says something. That said, it's worth sending in a note to UA. You will get back gibberish as a response, but they do appear to tally complaints and take broader action when there are lots of them.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by oblisk

15min?

Just like pilots, passengers need to tinkle!

I also ignore the fasten seat belts signs and use the bathrooms during flight. Anyone who has flown long haul on a European or Asian carrier, will realize that UA turns on the seat belts signs at the slightest bump and keeps them on for 30min at least!

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm Reason: To comply with tos
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bsb21

I also ignore the fasten seat belts signs and use the bathrooms during flight. Anyone who has flown long haul on a European or Asian carrier, will realize that UA turns on the seat belts signs at the slightest bump and keeps them on for 30min at least!
You may have flown with the same pilot ! Not all UA pilots (especially PMUA ones) will turn on the sign with the slightest turblence.

On the other hand, I have flown on SQ, even with moderate turblence, was difficult to walk in the aisle, had to hold on to each seat while walking, still didn't turn on the sign !
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bsb21
15min?

Just like pilots, passengers need to tinkle!

Air Canada seems very relaxed with the seat belt sign. I feel like at 20K feet they are off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.