Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access for HNL-EWR/IAD/IAH in F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
Originally Posted by uwr
Not sure why OP cares, as he/she has jumped ship to AA.
Pretty simple - I'd suggest anyone that reads this that's going on a HNL-EWR/IAH/IAD non-stop in F that might enjoy the United Club in HNL (I like the carrots, have a drink, and would prefer to wait in the club over the gate), go to the club, present BP to attendant and politely ask if they are entitled to lounge access. That's it. Period.

(I don't think it would be such a good idea to post your success here as there are too many here who see that is not the published policy on United.com and will want to argue with you, raise a stink and try and do what they can to get this unpublished entitlement shut down.) I would point out that despite all the vitriol here, there is not a single post from a person that actually attempted or witnessed an F BP holder on NS to EWR/IAD/IAH attempting to access the club in HNL and been denied.)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by vrichard
(I don't think it would be such a good idea to post your success here as there are too many here who see that is not the published policy on United.com and will want to argue with you, raise a stink and try and do what they can to get this unpublished entitlement shut down.)
That's a little bit of a stretch, no?

Nobody's attacking you, and I don't see any vitriol here. I think it's great that the UC agent let you in based on your F/C boarding pass. Frankly, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect lounge access for your F ticket aboard an internationally-configured airplane before an 8h transoceanic flight.

However, it would be disingenuous to conclude that, based on your singular experience (which runs counter to the published policy), all F pax on the mainland longhauls are thereby entitled to lounge access. As always, YMMV.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
That's a little bit of a stretch, no?

Nobody's attacking you, and I don't see any vitriol here. I think it's great that the UC agent let you in based on your F/C boarding pass. Frankly, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect lounge access for your F ticket aboard an internationally-configured airplane before an 8h transoceanic flight.

However, it would be disingenuous to conclude that, based on your singular experience (which runs counter to the published policy), all F pax on the mainland longhauls are thereby entitled to lounge access. As always, YMMV.
Well said.

I think vrichard doesn't understand that we don't have the "chutzpah" to attempt this post the policy change.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Bringing up this old thread, did anything change for this purpose? No lounge access if you hold a HNL-EWR first class ticket (fare booking class D)?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by af fp
...did anything change for this purpose? No lounge access if you hold a HNL-EWR first class ticket (fare booking class D)?
No change, no access
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

Thanks. How obnoxious. It sort-of ruins the privileged feeling of flying first class by creating the frustration of being turned away before a 10-hour flight or to have to pay $59 for a rather sloppy lounge.

Is there a good option to wait comfortably outside of the lounge, please?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks. How obnoxious. It sort-of ruins the privileged feeling of flying first class by creating the frustration of being turned away before a 10-hour flight or to have to pay $59 for a rather sloppy lounge. ...
There is no lounge access for any domestic F. Just too many to handle.

And while EWR-HNL is as long as flights to Europe, the ticket is 1/2 or lower the prices. Its a domestic leisure route.

A strange option is doing, EWR-SFO-HNL and then you will have lounge access at EWR & SFO (but not HNL) due to special rules for the "premium service transcon" flights.

Is there a good option to wait comfortably outside of the lounge, please?
Try a restaurant at EWR, get a light meal / appetizers and a drink for less than the UC access pass.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How obnoxious. It sort-of ruins the privileged feeling of flying first class by creating the frustration of being turned away before a 10-hour flight or to have to pay $59 for a rather sloppy lounge.
It would kind of ruin the United Clubs for those of us who pay upwards of $450 per year for memberships if they were required to admit every domestic F passenger.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...And while EWR-HNL is as long as flights to Europe, the ticket is 1/2 or lower the prices. Its a domestic leisure route....
The flight is longer than most European flights at (often) not even half the price. A $59 admittance is just a nibble at the difference, but $59 goes pretty far at an establishment in the concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.