Wiki Posts
Search

Family flies over 7MM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Family flies over 7MM

Family that flies United. Summary the family has flown over 7 million miles...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Great article; thanks for sharing. ^ Too bad it didn't offer more than a surface explanation of the FF "lifestyle" and how one can make travel a family priority. Many of the comments are incredulous or writing them off as wealthy.

There's also the slight factual error about how many bonus miles they earn as MMers.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Family that flies United. Summary the family has flown over 7 million miles...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3
^ I noticed this this morning as well - a great (light) read indeed. That said, I would've liked to hear how many of the 7mil were rev and how many were awards...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Great article; thanks for sharing. ^ Too bad it didn't offer more than a surface explanation of the FF "lifestyle" and how one can make travel a family priority. Many of the comments are incredulous or writing them off as wealthy.
Well, if you're flying 7.5 million leisure miles over 20 years you gotta start off reasonably wealthy. And also, unlike most reasonably-wealthy people you've got to have plenty of time off.

Some of this is just dumb though. Thirty hours in Sydney? From Illinois? That's not travelling, that's just spending time on planes.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for posting, OP ^

Anybody else miss the gold and blue bp stock?

Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Some of this is just dumb though. Thirty hours in Sydney? From Illinois? That's not travelling, that's just spending time on planes.
How so?! I've done one night in London. 3 hours in Amsterdam and countless other small trips and not for mileage running. Some people don't have the time to spend a week for what you call a proper vacation. Hardly dumb at all- I congratulate them for doing what they want.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
What a great story! Given the things that many middle-class families waste their money on, it was a pleasure to read about a family that gets its values straight! Forget the new cars, and have fun traveling.

I do a lot of short pleasure trips, too. 3 days in Taiwan, a weekend in Hong Kong, etc. Sometimes that's all you have time for all all you need.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
C'mon, what are their FT handles and where are the TRs?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: MYOB
Wow....imagine what that would could to consolidate to a single account!!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
The article said that they each flew 850 segments for a combined total of 7.5 million miles. That is about 1760 miles per segment, so a lot of that was indeed long-haul!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
what a fun thing for a family to do. My now ten year old was a 1K for two years and has flown almost 500K and has enjoyed all of it. His younger brother hasn't had the same success yet, but will.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:49 pm

Sounds like they had some wonderful family trips and can only imagine how cool it would be to be a kid and lifetime gold elite

Stumbled across this blog the other day about a family that traveled the world for a year...
http://365saturdays.org/blog/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.