FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1365034-new-returning-routes-sfo-tpe-sfo-cdg-ord-mty-iad-sal-others.html)

davewang202 Aug 11, 2012 10:23 am

Originally Posted by HCA (Post 19081318)
Also waiting EVA to officially join *A and get PQM next year.

EVA and UA are starting a codeshare agreement - today!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rtnership.html

EsquireFlyer Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 19080324)
+1

Transit through NRT is a pain in the neck. It is even worse westbound. Line up for security and boarding during red eye hours. I was all set to fly BR next year if UA did not announce the revival of SFO-TPE nonstop.

I like being able to shower in NRT though. Better than showing up with stinky feet in TPE.

Wiirachay Aug 11, 2012 9:45 pm

UA is resurrecting the SFO-TPE flight. I flew SFO-TPE-BKK on UA metal back in 1987. Does anyone know when UA cancelled the route?

Wonder if UA will attempt to add TPE-BKK or TPE-SIN leg on UA metal or just rely on BR.

EsquireFlyer Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wiirachay (Post 19103887)
UA is resurrecting the SFO-TPE flight. I flew SFO-TPE-BKK on UA metal back in 1987. Does anyone know when UA cancelled the route?

Wonder if UA will attempt to add TPE-BKK or TPE-SIN leg on UA metal or just rely on BR.

I would guess no, considering (1) there was no add-on leg the last time resurrected and killed this route in ~2007, and (2) 1987 was before *A, and now if UA adds TPE-BKK or TPE-SIN it would be competing against at least 2 *A carriers on each leg, both of whom probably have better company image than UA does, so it would be a redundant and likely unprofitable service (I think).

Mike Jacoubowsky Aug 12, 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 18904439)
Looks like the flights are loaded into the system:

UA 990 SFO-CDG 14:45-10:45 (+1)
UA 991 CDG-SFO 10:00-12:50

Good flight times. Arrives in CDG earlier than if via a connecting flight. Return flight is a bit early though. Checking in at CDG-T1 is a zoo.

As United's best SFO-CDG customer (just kidding!!!), I agree, a later return would be great. Anything earlier than an 11am departure requires an extremely-early getaway from Paris due to the madness that is CDG. 1pm would be very civilized; you could catch the 9am AF bus out of town and have plenty of time.

For those of us who can't afford to fly C or better, there is a disadvantage to the direct flight; you're spending the entire time in Y, while SFO-IAD-CDG allows you to spend 20k miles and nearly half your flight is in C or domestic F.

Another potential downside is that this is an indication that United sees higher fares in the future. AF and Delta had fairly-attractive SFO-CDG fares in the past, which might have kept United out of the market. I doubt I'll ever see a return to the $889 all/in July tickets I got three years ago. $1400 has been a traditionally-decent fare, and I've paid up to $1850. In Y, of course.

YVR Cockroach Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm

YLW seems to be good enough that a seasonal Saturday weekly service has been added for the ski season. Leaves LAX early afternoon and returns by mid-evening. Supposed to be optimized for connection to antipodean flights (i.e., AKL, MEL and SYD). Must be popular with skiers, I guess.

http://www.kelowna.ca/iNews/scripts/...tegory=AIRPORT

AeroWesty Oct 11, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 18904439)
Looks like the flights are loaded into the system:

UA 990 SFO-CDG 14:45-10:45 (+1)
UA 991 CDG-SFO 10:00-12:50

Looks like AF has loaded its schedule for S13 for LAX/SFO. Interesting shift of frequency from LAX to SFO to compete with UA's new SFO-CDG route:

AF LAX-CDG APR 3>1.4 MAY 3>1.5
AF SFO-CDG APR 1.0>1.2 MAY 1.4>1.9

LAX loses half of its flights, while SFO goes nearly double-daily. Not sure of what the changes are plane-wise at the moment.

Hat-tip to Enilria's weekly OAG thread on a.net.

787fan Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 19081377)
+1. An alternate *A hub in Asia will be a big plus.

East Asia is filled with Star hubs - NRT/HND, ICN, PEK, TPE (soon), BKK, SIN. Convenient for pretty much any traffic flow direction.

If only *A could score an Indian carrier (or two), then their map would be nearly complete.

beekatt Oct 11, 2012 4:18 pm

What happened to NRT-TPE on UA????

I know UA is adding SFO-TPE in April 2013, but I certainly didn't think they would eliminate the NRT-TPE route. When SFO-TPE existed previously, UA kept the NRT-TPE route as well. I am looking at November, December and January for trips from BOS-TPE and it seems the only routing is through NRT, but on an ANA codeshare. What's up with that?

PanAmWT Oct 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by beekatt (Post 19479753)
I know UA is adding SFO-TPE in April 2013, but I certainly didn't think they would eliminate the NRT-TPE route. When SFO-TPE existed previously, UA kept the NRT-TPE route as well. I am looking at November, December and January for trips from BOS-TPE and it seems the only routing is through NRT, but on an ANA codeshare. What's up with that?

UA stops NRT-TPE starting 10/27/12. This is an indefinite cancellation with no plan to reinstate. UA will reply on NH/Air Japan code share on this route.

UA is noncompetitive because direct Tokyo-Taipei business passengers prefer HND over NRT, and heavily discounted airlines are going to fill the sky between Taiwan and Japan (and other intra-Asia too). Peach Air sponsored by NH starts TPE-KIX this Saturday with the lowest fare <$100.

beekatt Oct 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 19480774)
UA stops NRT-TPE starting 10/27/12. This is an indefinite cancellation with no plan to reinstate. UA will reply on NH/Air Japan code share on this route.

UA is noncompetitive because direct Tokyo-Taipei business passengers prefer HND over NRT, and heavily discounted airlines are going to fill the sky between Taiwan and Japan (and other intra-Asia too). Peach Air sponsored by NH starts TPE-KIX this Saturday with the lowest fare <$100.

I don't think there is enough capacity on the one remaining NRT-TPE NH flight that departs after the United US inbound flights arrive. I tired too book Nov 3-10 (BOS-IAD-NRT-TPE) and the NRT-TPE on NH was sold out! I had to move my meetings out a week to get a Star Alliance flight to TPE. When EvaAir becomes part of Star Alliance, this will become an option. Until then, they codeshare with AA from BOS-LAX. My options are limited!

PanAmWT Oct 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by beekatt (Post 19480830)
I don't think there is enough capacity on the one remaining NRT-TPE NH flight that departs after the United US inbound flights arrive. I tired too book Nov 3-10 (BOS-IAD-NRT-TPE) and the NRT-TPE on NH was sold out! I had to move my meetings out a week to get a Star Alliance flight to TPE. When EvaAir becomes part of Star Alliance, this will become an option. Until then, they codeshare with AA from BOS-LAX. My options are limited!

You could go thru SFO-ICN-TPE with ICN-TPE on TG. You may have to make an extra stop and the TG flight is *A but is not code-shared with UA.

I think UA made a pretty stupid move to pull the plug on NRT-TPE before the SFO-NRT is in place 4/9/13. Taiwan, being just included in the visa-waiver program, will see a big surge of tourists going to U.S. starting in November or December the latest. And many UA flyers who are not high-level elites, once tried CI or BR, probably will not return to UA.

mckerrow Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 19480774)

UA NRT-TPE never really need to compete with other players on HND-TSA or NRT-TPE. Flight is always full. In fact, UA constantly have the highest loading factor among CI/BR/JL/NH/DL/CX on NRT-TPE. This is a feeder route for UA passengers who are to and from US, and also for some local tour groups because of the better schedule and discount.

Originally Posted by beekatt (Post 19480830)

I agree and that's indeed a problem. Even NH upgrade the equipment from 767 to 777, with limited option for UA passengers to TPE, NH1083/1084 will be extremely crowded for the next few months.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 19480976)
You could go thru SFO-ICN-TPE with ICN-TPE on TG. You may have to make an extra stop and the TG flight is *A but is not code-shared with UA.

I think UA made a pretty stupid move to pull the plug on NRT-TPE before the SFO-NRT is in place 4/9/13. Taiwan, being just included in the visa-waiver program, will see a big surge of tourists going to U.S. starting in November or December the latest. And many UA flyers who are not high-level elites, once tried CI or BR, probably will not return to UA.

It looks like beekatt is from East Coast (BOS). S/He probably needs to hop on the earliest flight to SFO and continues to ICN and TPE. Considerting busy traffic, weather, and tight connection at SFO (ICN-SFO departs so freaking early), this is not a fun for OP I believe.

I asked UA TPE ticketing office and they told me the reason UA cancel NRT-TPE before SFO-TPE starting is because "No airplane" -- issue related to reconfig 777. As I address this in another thread, I don't get why UA rather cancel NRT-TPE than NRT-ICN. ICN has NRT and non-stop SFO flight while TPE has nothing until next April.

PanAmWT Oct 12, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mckerrow (Post 19483812)
UA NRT-TPE never really need to compete with other players on HND-TSA or NRT-TPE. Flight is always full. In fact, UA constantly have the highest loading factor among CI/BR/JL/NH/DL/CX on NRT-TPE. This is a feeder route for UA passengers who are to and from US, and also for some local tour groups because of the better schedule and discount..

The front cabins are almost never full. FC are typically occupied by FAs and both FC and BC have lots of complimentary upgrades. Yes UA does not have enough airplanes, so they rather move the planes to some other routes.

username Oct 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 19072081)
Looks like the direct flights from SFO to/from TPE are loaded:

UA 871 13:30 - 17:55+1 13hrs 25min
UA 872 11:55 - 08:25 11hrs 30min

Nice to see the direct flights back -- and not have to connect through NRT.

Doea anyone know when the first flight will be (Apr ?? 2013)?

The best part is one can get up a little later on both ends for this flight!

Thanks.