Wiki Posts
Search

"Inside United's Nerve Center"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
"Inside United's Nerve Center"

Chicago Tribune article about the consolidation of Operations to Willis Tower.

Not very in depth, but a quick peek behind the scenes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7409162.story
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
"customers have been frustrated recently with delays and inefficiencies that plagued United after it combined its passenger reservation system in March. However, many of those issues stemmed from a new computer system, rather than any problem directly related to the network operations center, McDonald said."

I'd hardly call SHARES "new" -- and that's the problem.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD - Marriott GLD- SPG - HH - Hyatt - UA
So they have consolidated everyone to one floor in a highrise building? Sounds like they have perfectly engineered a future major outage.

I think they should have talked about disaster recovery plans in case that site disappears. Hopefully they actually have a DR plan.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dansocal
...Sounds like they have perfectly engineered a future major outage.
I thought the same exact thing when I saw this... Sounds like another example of "pennywise, pound foolish," to me.

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...enter/719023/1

More flavor here as well.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
So they have consolidated everyone to one floor in a highrise building? Sounds like they have perfectly engineered a future major outage.

I think they should have talked about disaster recovery plans in case that site disappears. Hopefully they actually have a DR plan.
I think they are keeping the old operations center off site of ORD mothballed as a failsafe.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Both predecessor airlines had co-located operations functions in the past. It may also be of interest to some that the new location and set-up has been in works since before the merger.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

There's an off-site DR location. CO used to have one outside of Houston in a bunker some paranoid/crazy guy built before going bankrupt.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i also read somewhere they're still running the ops center in houston or something to that order as well. i'm sure there's DR operations elsewhere, i'd be hard pressed to believe the FAA wouldn't mandate that somehow.

also for the inevitable shares criticisms, this seems more on the flight center operations than it does on the reservations system. pss afaik is just a backend reservations server program, doesn't do anything in the way of monitoring and maintaining birds in the air.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
also for the inevitable shares criticisms, this seems more on the flight center operations than it does on the reservations system. pss afaik is just a backend reservations server program, doesn't do anything in the way of monitoring and maintaining birds in the air.
That's what I thought as well. This would seem to have little or nothing to do with SHARES. In fact, wasn't the pmUA flight operations system retained after the merger? I suspect this is so because the United way of numbering flights was retained (renumbering a great many pmCO flights, and introducing the concept of the outbound and return leg between city pairs having the same flight number, which never happened with pmCO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.