FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Maximum Segments on UA Award Travel" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1349091-consolidated-maximum-segments-ua-award-travel.html)

GetSetJetSet Sep 10, 2012 9:10 am

I got it to ticket for 140k & $184.94

JFK-NRT (NH F) overnight sub-24hr stop
NRT-ICN (UA F) overnight sub-24hr stop
ICN-PEK (CA J) overnight sub-24hr stop
PEK-ULN (CA Y) destination
ULN-PEK (CA Y) overnight sub-24hr stop
PEK-HKG (CA J) layover long enough to go into town and eat at my fav place
HKG-TPE (TG J) overnight sub-24hr stop
TPE-PVG (CA F) stopover
PVG-ICN (OZ J)
ICN-FRA (OZ F) overnight sub-24hr stop
FRA-BRU (LH J)
BRU-EWR (UA F)

Will obviously cross my fingers for LH F to anywhere in the CONUS to open closer in and then I will go direct from FRA.

rankourabu Sep 10, 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 19287771)

TPE-PVG (CA F) stopover
PVG-ICN (OZ J)
FRA-BRU (LH J)
BRU-EWR (UA F)

Will obviously cross my fingers for LH F to anywhere in the CONUS to open closer in and then I will go direct from FRA.

well done then.
on the phone? from scratch? spoonfeeding?

sounds like a US award where the agents are clueless in geography and you can sell them almost anything.

GetSetJetSet Sep 10, 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 19287752)
no, you just got away with one. You are allowed do use the SIN-DME-IAH, as it can be considered Pacific, but I dont know how they allowed you MUC in there.
It could also be that you dont have a stopover - and thus they priced it as two one ways (check pricing info on receipt where it says rewards used)

This was during the SQ mistake award redemption festival. SFO-HKG, SIN-MUC and DME-IAH all SQ F

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 19287815)
well done then.
on the phone? from scratch? spoonfeeding?

sounds like a US award where the agents are clueless in geography and you can sell them almost anything.

On the phone. I had mapped all my segments. Read them out to her, she fed them to the computer and the computer priced it. I think there is no rhyme or reason to the system anymore. Luck of the draw.

rankourabu Sep 10, 2012 9:29 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 19287845)
O I think there is no rhyme or reason to the system anymore. Luck of the draw.

I think you are absolutely right.
Also proves, spoonfeeding is the best way. Homework can save you a lot of hassle.

I've been booking some convoluted QR awards this past week, but I found for those you had to book the QR segments online, and then you could call in to play around with all the feeder star alliance flights - agents were hopeless finding QR space.

Always Flyin Sep 10, 2012 9:59 am

Max number of segments on an e-ticket seems to be 16 these days.

transparent Oct 3, 2012 6:30 am

No MPM

On the phone right now with an agent who talked to the rate desk, and confirmed there is no more MPM, but there are other restrictions, especially if you have commenced travel (e.g. can't change origin / destination regions).

JSlo Oct 7, 2012 10:30 pm

Perhaps OT ?, but in general what system is everyone using to check routes/availability? Expert flyer? KVS? Is it even reasonable to try on UA.com?

sbm12 Oct 7, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by JSlo (Post 19455405)
Is it even reasonable to try on UA.com?

Very. Other than LH F phantom inventory it is quite reliable IME.

dsquared37 Oct 8, 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 19455413)
Very. Other than LH F phantom inventory it is quite reliable IME.

It is not currently showing any SQ C availability.

Other than these two problems it might be reliable but it also covers a small portion of *A carriers.

rankourabu Oct 8, 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 19456207)
but it also covers a small portion of *A carriers.

United.com covers ALL Star carriers, even the most obscure ones and Aer Lingus, interisland HI/WP on top of Star.

The only problems as mentioned are SQ C, LH phantom.

bonsaisai Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm

16 is really the max. I have a 16-segment reservation.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18626935)
MPM doesn't matter anymore for award rules.

Yes, you can make changes while en route. gleff was once told of a 24 hours in advance rule but that may vary based on operating carrier and I have never experienced it even with some last minute (like <2 hours to departure) changes.

The absolute maximum number of segments on a ticket is 16, including any surface sectors. For a one-way award I've heard 8 or 9 is a limit. I'm not sure for a return trip.

----------------------

I'd like to second what sbm12 said. MPM doesn't matter anymore. It's now an urban legend. 3 weeks ago I traveled on an extended itinerary (South Asia-North Asia-Japan-Oceania) that would have exceeded MPM by at least 40%. The agent told me that they stopped using MPM in March 2012. I booked my award ticket in May and traveled in September.

What sbm12 said is also true in my experience. I currently have a reservation that has 16 segments (round trip). I tried to add 2 more segments and that didn't work. Perhaps 16 is the max. But no agents can give you a simple answer to a seemingly simple question "How many flight segments can I have under 1 reservation?" The answers I got so far range from 12 segments, 16 segments, no max.

bonsaisai Oct 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 19288125)
Max number of segments on an e-ticket seems to be 16 these days.

------------

I agree. I currently have a 16-segment reservation (South Asia-North Asia-Oceania), all J, 50K. I tried to add 2 more to test the system but it didn't work. One agent told me there's no limit but you have to follow United rules, which nobody really understands. Perhaps 16 is the limit. For now.

bonsaisai Oct 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 19287771)

TPE-PVG (CA F) stopover
PVG-ICN (OZ J)
FRA-BRU (LH J)
BRU-EWR (UA F)

I realize that we are going to the same destination ULN from PEK and will have to travel in Y because J or F seats were not available at the time of booking. My trip is next May. I'll be doing a 16-segment trip in J (whenever available) from Singapore to Oceania and North Asia for 50K.

rankourabu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by bonsaisai (Post 19479541)
I realize that we are going to the same destination ULN from PEK and will have to travel in Y because J or F seats were not available at the time of booking. My trip is next May. I'll be doing a 16-segment trip in J (whenever available) from Singapore to Oceania and North Asia for 50K.

*sigh* I miss the days just after the merger when this could be done for 32.5k in J :(

ULN-PEK never has seats in J for awards.... EVER.

jphripjah Apr 28, 2013 5:04 pm

So is this a legal one way award from Phnom Penh to Las Vegas? All stops under 24 hours of course.

PNH-BKK-SIN-CAI-BEY-IST-GVA-YUL-EWR-LAS?

The "YUL" stop is optional if that's a dealbreaker.