Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GG FLAT TIRE (as of April 2018)

FLAT TIRE RULE:
CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Flat Tire, is this referring literally to a car having a flat tire?
No, "Flat Tire" refers to a situation where one arrives too late to make a flight due to most any reason. If you show up within two hours of the original flight departure, UA generally will try to accommodate you as a low-level priority standby passenger on the next flight with standby space. Note this will only be for UA/UX flights and no guarantees on how soon UA might be able to accommodate the delayed passenger. No reason for the delay is needed (flat tire or not, does not matter).

Years ago, pre-deregulation, this was a formal rule. Nowadays, legacy USA airlines still provide this as a courtesy but they are under no obligation to provide. Note with non-USA airlines there is no such policy and you will mostly be required to purchase a new ticket.

This does not apply in a connection situation on a single ticket. The carrier creating the delay is obligated to address that situation
Print Wikipost

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:17 pm

Do they have different policies for BULK fares? If someone misses a flight but shows up within two hours of the flight do they just put them on standby for remaining flights?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Do they have different policies for BULK fares? If someone misses a flight but shows up within two hours of the flight do they just put them on standby for remaining flights?
BULK fares are extremely unflexible. As a 1K, I tried out a BULK fare and was unable to do the following:
SDC
re-IRROP change as I was going to miss a connection due to a delayed intl flight

I would review this page very carefully. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...daychange.aspx especially the text "*Restricted tickets exclude certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) and fares that do not allow changes of any kind, such as United Specials and tickets bought through certain wholesale outlets (e.g. where you do not know the identity of the airline until after you buy the ticket)."

It took quite a bit of effort to get the ticket issuer (Travel Agency) and United to play ball together. Most of the time it was the Travel Agency dragging their feet and stating normal policy (ticket change fee is $300 + price differentiation, etc) while United would say, "We're willing to make an exception but your travel agency has to initiate since this is a BULK ticket". If you're going to miss your flight, you should inform your travel agency, else your ticket could be marked as a "no-show" and completely invalidated (zero'd out) of value.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Not sure if this is the right place to post this... MODS please adjust accordingly...

Aeroplan Award Booking. Booked in X Class.

Had a flight yesterday SAT-IAD, IAD-EWR. 1st segment in First (R class) TOD UPGRADE second in Coach X Class. Baggage checked all the way through (priority).

We missed the IAD-EWR leg. The monorail got stuck and we were stuck for 15 minutes, yes I know we probably stayed at the club 10 minutes too long but that was the final straw for us.

The flight came in 1 hour 45 minutes late 10:12pm arrival and was suppose to depart at 10:12PM. Needless to say I knew it wasn't going off on-time. Pushed back to 10:47pm departure. And I thought 35 minutes to turn it around was pretty generous given it was a full flight. So I figured showing up at 10:25 would be more than plenty. Well we got to the gate at 10:41 after the nice monorail issue. The bridge was just being pulled away. Anyway we missed the flight.

Went to the kiosk since the line was long first available option was 6:10 am today. Wasn't going to work gf needed to be at a meeting at 8:00am sharp. So I fooled around with the kiosk. The kiosk let me book up to 3 days later and not only from IAD but from DCA or BWI to EWR, JFK and LGA. Got me thinking wow you can just miss a flight on purpose and have all sorts of options open up. (note our arriving flight was 8 minutes late *which I doubt would have any impact on what I just explained above)

<<snip>>

wonder how long this will continue for if I miss the flight. I know it's probably not ethical but I picked a flight with plenty of availability and didn't select seats. So don't worry I'm not stealing anyone's seat. IAD-EWR with A320 isn't getting high loads.

If fact if I can carry it on I may actually use that flight next week.
Would appear all those flight options resulted from and began with the IAD-EWR delay, not from you no showing for that flight.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:17 pm

Does United still have a Flat Tire Rule

I have found numerous articles that say United Airlines has a flat tire rule that if you miss your flight and arrive within two hours of your departure time you can fly standby on the next available flight with no extra cost. Does anyone know if this is still in effect because I cant find anything on their website about it. Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:37 pm

hint: this one does exist in the GG FLAT TIRE

the (very) short answer is as follows:

FLAT TIRE RULE:

CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by runner450
hint: this one does exist in the GG FLAT TIRE
Good to know! About a year back, I missed a flight and was rebooked positive space (Business) on the next flight with seats -- while it may be policy it always pays to be polite and act like you're receiving a favor in that kind of situation.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It does say may be rather than will be.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Scenario: Two travelers on full fare business tickets miss their flight FCO-IAD due to local taxi issues. There is only one flight per day. Are they just rebooked on following days flight? What if business is sold out?
Old May 20, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by correction
Scenario: Two travelers on full fare business tickets miss their flight FCO-IAD due to local taxi issues. There is only one flight per day. Are they just rebooked on following days flight? What if business is sold out?
Wait, if they were on full fare business fares, why not cancel and rebook prior to departure. Wouldnt there be no change fees...? Why let the ticket cancel and go into a no-show status...

Local taxi issues isnt the airlines responsibility. It is under the discretion of UA to rebook the passengers for the following day; I suspect they will without much objection / charging any fees.

If business is sold out, the passengers are rebooked in economy if they want to fly on that day. That is considered a voluntary downgrade. If they want business, there needs to be available space; UA isnt kicking anyone out of business to make space for these two. If they elect to wait, it is on their own dime; UA wont pay for hotels / accommodations.

Im not so great on compensation when this occurs, but Id bet UA will throw a couple of small ETCs. It was the passengers fault the flight was missed; technically UA is being nice by reaccomodating.

Old May 20, 2018, 11:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally if not a UA caused issue, you will be rescheduled for the next available UA flight. It will be your choice to accept economy if no business space. No downgrade compensation. You will be eligible for a partial fare refund.

This is more what is called a "flat tire" situation.

The other choice is for you to have UA move you to another carrier -- but you will be responsible for any fare difference.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
why not take uber or black van? Those are running in Rome.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally if not a UA caused issue, you will be rescheduled for the next available UA flight. It will be your choice to accept economy if no business space. No downgrade compensation. You will be eligible for a partial fare refund.

This is more what is called a "flat tire" situation.

The other choice is for you to have UA move you to another carrier -- but you will be responsible for any fare difference.

Thanks this is helpful.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
why not take uber or black van? Those are running in Rome.
Any Rome hotel can easily arrange a "private hire" pre-scheduled car
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:16 pm

Miss flight what happens?

I've been traveling for work for over 15 years and I've never arrived late/missed a flight. I'm wonder what would actually happen?
I'm looking to book a flight and there are 5 options 6:20am, 10am, 1pm, 2pm and 6pm. The price starts at 300$ then JUMPS to 700$, 800$, 850$, 850$.
If I don't make it in time to the airport or don't clear security in time. What actually happens? Am I charged a change fee? or they just cancel my ticket ?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Flat tire rule should apply. Let's say you are on the 620am flight, and you don't show up at the gate until after 620am but within 2 hours of departure, GA should book you onto the next available flight. However, if you don't show up beyond the normal 2 hour rule, you have to pay the walk-up fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.