FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Converting One-Way to Round-Trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1338174-converting-one-way-round-trip.html)

srdshelly Apr 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Converting One-Way to Round-Trip

I have an one-way international award ticket booked, but I'm wondering if I can convert it to a round-trip ticket (same endpoints), thus enabling a stopover on the return legs? Obviously I know could book a separate one-way home without a stopover.

If it is possible to do this, is there a fee? Can it be done online?

Thanks for any advice on this!

sbm12 Apr 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Almost certainly not possible online. I've heard reports of success with this via an agent and I'm hoping it still works as I will need to do it soon.

flyBernoulli Apr 25, 2012 9:21 am

I've got the same question - anyone have first-hand reports of success or failure?

channa Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18432687)
Almost certainly not possible online. I've heard reports of success with this via an agent and I'm hoping it still works as I will need to do it soon.

You can absolutely do this with an agent.

You can change any award to anything else, and the system will reprice it and charge (or credit) the difference in miles and taxes.

flyBernoulli Apr 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18458626)
You can absolutely do this with an agent.

You can change any award to anything else, and the system will reprice it and charge (or credit) the difference in miles and taxes.

What about for those of us who aren't 1K/Platinum? Do they charge a fee? For example, they charge a fee to change an award reservation from economy to business, in addition to the miles. Thanks!

flyBernoulli May 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Well, to follow-up, this is indeed possible and standard "change fee" applies - so for those of us who aren't platinum/1k, we pay $75/$50/$25 for gm/silver/gold, respectively.

The first agent I talked to said this conversion wasn't possible and the whole thing would have to be completely canceled and rebooked, so I called back...so it may require some persistence to get a knowledgeable agent.

srdshelly May 24, 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by flyBernoulli (Post 18632579)
Well, to follow-up, this is indeed possible and standard "change fee" applies - so for those of us who aren't platinum/1k, we pay $75/$50/$25 for gm/silver/gold, respectively.

The first agent I talked to said this conversion wasn't possible and the whole thing would have to be completely canceled and rebooked, so I called back...so it may require some persistence to get a knowledgeable agent.

OK, thanks for the follow up. Too bad this is considered a "change", since no actual flights are changed.

ijgordon May 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by srdshelly (Post 18633536)
OK, thanks for the follow up. Too bad this is considered a "change", since no actual flights are changed.

But the award type is changed and it needs to be re-priced and re-ticketed.

bk3day Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm

iirc, there's no way to combine two previously booked award 1 ways PNRs together to form a single roundtrip?

If that's true, what's the best way to take a previously booked award oneway & covert it to a round trip?

Assuming an agent is willing to assist, do you have to find newly available segments and have the agent add them to the existing one way award ressie?

sbm12 Jun 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 18786266)
iirc, there's no way to combine two previously booked award 1 ways PNRs together to form a single roundtrip?

If that's true, what's the best way to take a previously booked award oneway & covert it to a round trip?

Assuming an agent is willing to assist, do you have to find newly available segments and have the agent add them to the existing one way award ressie?

Most recently when I did it I just called in to "make some changes to an existing award" and added on the new segments. Even with the open-jaw/stopover they priced it just right.

HumbleBee Jun 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 18786266)

Correct. Combining PNR's is impossible. Sometimes however, its worthwhile to place segments on hold with a new pnr, in hope that cancelling it will release it back. Best to do that with an agent in one shot, since she'll have the best odd of grabbing it back.

3card Feb 17, 2014 2:58 pm

I have booked award travel for three separate one-ways AAA-->BBB, BBB-->CCC, and CCC--> AAA and would like to convert this to a roundtrip (stopover at BBB) to save the miles difference between the one-ways and R/T. I know I did this last year on the same trip but was just told it was "impossible to combine records." All three one ways are domestic saver with no more saver availability. I'm platinum so no fee to make a change to award travel if it's possible.

Did I just ask the wrong way or is it no longer possible?

sbm12 Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by 3card (Post 22366074)

It never was.

If you took the first one and changed it to be the circle trip then it is possible. If you book them all separate and then try to combine it is not.

andrewwm Feb 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22366561)
It never was.

If you took the first one and changed it to be the circle trip then it is possible. If you book them all separate and then try to combine it is not.

It is possible to covert a one-way into a round-trip reward, but what the poster wants shouldn't be possible for several reasons:

1. Would have to book the stopover leg after the first one way is booked.
2. No stopovers are permitted on domestic itineraries
3. Cannot combine two one-ways in the same direction into one ticket

choatie88 Feb 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by 3card (Post 22366074)
I have booked award travel for three separate one-ways AAA-->BBB, BBB-->CCC, and CCC--> AAA and would like to convert this to a roundtrip (stopover at BBB) to save the miles difference between the one-ways and R/T. I know I did this last year on the same trip but was just told it was "impossible to combine records." All three one ways are domestic saver with no more saver availability. I'm platinum so no fee to make a change to award travel if it's possible.

I've had an agent do this for me on international awards (e.g. preserving availability), but as andrewwm says, stopovers are not permitted on domestic RT awards.