Search

XN fare class question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

XN fare class question

I have a question about award availability for elites with the new system:

With CO, there were certain economy award seats open only to elites, listed as XN fare class.

With the new system, all my award searches are showing as XN - even when using a non-elite UA account. Shows as "United Economy (XN)"

How do I tell if a certain seat is an elite only available seat? (other than checking availability with two accounts). I'm trying to book award seats using multiple family member accounts - would be very helpful.
thanks
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have done a couple of award searches, and it has appeared that 1K status opens up more flight options.

That said, it does seem like all of the flights show as XN -- which certainly seemed strange.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hobo13
I have done a couple of award searches, and it has appeared that 1K status opens up more flight options.

That said, it does seem like all of the flights show as XN -- which certainly seemed strange.
Thanks for reply. It's been like this for the past week or two for me, so I have been quite confused.

Also, I remember CO gave silver elites the XN better award availability -- is there an official word if United kept that for silvers or raised the level?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
I believe the fare buckets for award tickets are:

XN = elite (Silver,Gold,Plat,1K,GS) coach award
X = general member coach award

IN = upper elite (Plat,1K,GS) businessfirst award
I = general member,Silver,Gold businessfirst award

ON = upper elite global first award
O = general member,Silver,Gold global first award

Prior to 3/3, the old United NY space was a 1K,GS coach award. There were no other fare classes designating elite award space in the old United.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: Freelancer
I just booked a domestic coach award today using a family member's account. They are a Silver and all legs booked into XN.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. However, I still don't understand why when logging in with a non-elite UA account, all economy award seats are showing as XN (every date/route)?

I've tried different accounts and browsers, but getting the same thing. Isn't XN supposed to be elite only availability?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jack5432
Thanks for the replies. However, I still don't understand why when logging in with a non-elite UA account, all economy award seats are showing as XN (every date/route)?

I've tried different accounts and browsers, but getting the same thing. Isn't XN supposed to be elite only availability?
And when you log out, does the award space disappear? If so, this is a bit strange.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crammer
And when you log out, does the award space disappear? If so, this is a bit strange.
Nope, it doesn't disappear.
Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter that much -- probably just a system problem from the merger that still hasn't been fixed, getting plenty of XN fare classes with non-elite accounts.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:31 am

I have no status with UA right now. All tickets booked from my account are showing XN while those booked from my partners account book in X. It made it hard to book us on the same flights when XN availability was different than X. I just hope they don't do some sort of sweep and take back the XN booked tickets.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by JeffP
I have no status with UA right now. All tickets booked from my account are showing XN while those booked from my partners account book in X. It made it hard to book us on the same flights when XN availability was different than X. I just hope they don't do some sort of sweep and take back the XN booked tickets.
Once your reservation is ticketed [does your receipt show a ticket number?], then you should be OK.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Certain CC holders also get access to XN inventory, even without status. Otherwise the list looks right to me.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while i never checked actual inventory bucket names i definitely see more award space after logging in (as 1k)
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Certain CC holders also get access to XN inventory, even without status. Otherwise the list looks right to me.
Do United Explorer card holders get the XN inventory access? That would explain it. I didn't see that in the card description anywhere - if so, where does it state that? All the non-elite accounts I've been searching with and finding xn results for have the United MP Explorer card.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I believe the fare buckets for award tickets are:
Actually, that's quite confusing. So IN and ON are upper elites only, but XN is all elites? How strange. Luckily XN > X where X has often been 0 on the flights I've been booking, so it's helped.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jack5432
Do United Explorer card holders get the XN inventory access? That would explain it. I didn't see that in the card description anywhere - if so, where does it state that? All the non-elite accounts I've been searching with and finding xn results for have the United MP Explorer card.
I was pretty certain that was the case but in looking to confirm it I cannot find it published either so I might be mistaking it for access to the larger inventory on Standard/EasyPass awards.

Originally Posted by astroflyer
So IN and ON are upper elites only, but XN is all elites? How strange.
Correct. Higher level elites get more benefits than lower level elites. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.