FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How will Pinnacle's (Parent of UAX Operator Colgan Air) bankruptcy impact UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1331521-how-will-pinnacles-parent-uax-operator-colgan-air-bankruptcy-impact-ua.html)

tom911 Apr 1, 2012 10:47 pm

How will Pinnacle's (Parent of UAX Operator Colgan Air) bankruptcy impact UA?

In a press release today, Pinnacle, parent of Colgan, indicated:

The remaining Saab 340 fleet that Colgan operates for United Express will be wound down over the next several months, with these operations projected to end by Aug. 1, 2012. Similarly, Colgan's Q400 aircraft operations will be wound down by Nov. 30, 2012.
Can anyone identify the routes Colgan operates as United Express? That's one of the contracted United Express carriers I can't recall flying on.

WineCountryUA Apr 1, 2012 10:52 pm

Doubt anyone will miss the Saab 340s or Q400s -- although it could impact the level of service at some out stations.

dparkinson Apr 1, 2012 11:14 pm

Let me be the first to say hallelujah. Colgan was straight up not a safe operation, and the q400 creep into RJ markets by CO was unacceptable. Maybe now we can go back to the CR7s and ERJs we should have had all along

Alpha Golf Apr 1, 2012 11:15 pm

Aren't the Q400s their most fuel-efficient aircraft?

atsak Apr 1, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I flew Colgan BUF-EWR or BUF-IAD (possibly both) in the past couple years.

Certainly the most recent crash in memory was the EWR-BUF Colgan 3407.

I don't really care for the turboprops so if they'd go ahead and use regional jets for those flights from now on that would suit me fine.

CO777DAL Apr 1, 2012 11:20 pm

Well this is going to create lots of problems in Texas and smaller cities close to IAH. I say the majority of the smaller city flights out of IAH are Q400 and Sabb 340. I want to know what UA plans to do especially in the Sabb markets???

kwildnj Apr 1, 2012 11:25 pm

United Express Q400 and SAAB340 routes operated by Colgan/Pinnacle.
Indicates Cities Where Colgan Operates ONLY UA Flights, But Other Carriers Are Present
Indicates Cities Where Colgan is Sole Operator
* Indicates Essential Air Service (EAS) Flights

Note: For the purposes of "Circle Route" Flights (AAA-BBB-CCC-AAA or AAA-CCC-BBB-AAA), the BBB-CCC/CCC-BBB flight is not counted as a flight to a different destination.

From IAD:

Allentown (ABE) - Other Service to ORD/Bus to EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Altoona* (AOO) - No Other Flights - Only Carrier

Albany (ALB) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous other Carriers

Beckley, WV* (BKW) No Other Flights - Only Carrier

Binghamton, NY (BHM) No Other Service - DL to DTW, US to PHL

Buffalo (BUF) Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Burlington, VT (BTV) Other Service to ORD/CLE/EWR - DL, B6 and US

Charlottesville (CHO) No Other Service - AA to ORD, DL to ATL, US to CLT/PHL

Clarksburg* (CKB) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Cleveland (CLE) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Johnstown* (JST) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Morgantown* (MGW) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Newark (EWR) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Norfolk (ORF) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/IAD/IAH - Numerous Other Carriers

Pittsburgh (PIT) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Providence (PVD) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

State College (SCE) - No Other Service - DL to DTW, US to PHL

Syracuse (SYR) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

White Plains (HPN) - Other Service to ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Charleston, WV (CRW) - Other Service to IAD/IAH/ORD - AA to LGA, DL to ATL/DTW, US to CLT, DCA

From IAH:

Alexandria (AEX) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Austin (AUS) - Other Service to IAH/DEN/ORD/EWR/IAD/CUN/SFO/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Baton Rouge (BTR) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to MEM/ATL, US to CLT

Beaumont (BPT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

College Station (CLL) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

Dallas (DAL) - Other Service to IAH/DEN - DL to MEM, WN "Hub"

Dallas (DFW) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX/EWR/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Del Rio (DRT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

Jackson (JAN) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL/MEM, WN to BWI, MDW, HOU, MCO, US to CLT, DCA

Killeen/Ft Hood (GRK) - No Other Service - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Lafayette (LFT) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Lake Charles (LCH) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW

Little Rock (LIT) - Other Service to IAH/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

McAllen (MFE) - Other Service to IAH, AA to DFW, G4 to LAS/SFB

Midland (MAF) - Other Service to IAH/DEN - AA to DFW, WN to DAL, HOU, LAS

Monroe (MLU) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

New Orleans (MSY) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/EWR/SFO/IAD/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Oklahoma City (OKC) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/ORD/EWR/LAX/SFO/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

San Antionio (SAT) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/EWR/IAD/CUN/ORD/SFO/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Shreveport (SHV) - Other Service to IAH - DL to MEM/ATL, AA to DFW, G4 to LAS/SFB

Tulsa (TUL) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/ORD/EWR/IAD/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Tyler (TYR) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

Victoria* (VCT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

Waco (ACT) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

From EWR

Albany (ALB) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Boston (BOS) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/DEN/IAH/IAD/LAX/SFO/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Baltimore (BWI) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Buffalo (BUF) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Burlington, VT (BTV) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/EWR - DL, B6 and US

Columbus, OH (CMH) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/EWR/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Halifax (YHZ) - Other Service to EWR/ORD/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Moncton (YQM) - Other Service to EWR - Some Other Carriers - UA is sole USA bound Flight

Montreal (YUL) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Norfolk (ORF) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/IAD/CLE/IAH - Numerous Other Carriers

Pittsburgh (PIT) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Portland, ME (PWM) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Raleigh (RDU) - Other Service to ORD/IAH/EWR/IAD/CUN/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Rochester (ROC) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Toronto (YYZ) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/SFO/CLE/EWR/IAH/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Washington (IAD) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Washington (DCA) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/CLE/EWR) - Numerous Other Carriers

Myrtle Beach - Other Seasonal Service to ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

ralfp Apr 1, 2012 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18317400)
United Express Q400 and SAAB340 routes operated by Colgan/Pinnacle.

From IAD:
Charlottesburg*

Don't you mean Charlottesville (CHO)?

kwildnj Apr 1, 2012 11:37 pm

We are talking about a total of 58 aircraft, serving dozens of cities in the Northeast, as well as Texas and the Gulf Coast of the United States. In many instances, Colgan dba United Express is either the sole carrier, or one two carriers serving an airport.

As as mentioned previously, this.could have a massive impact on operations in the affected cities. For many of these routes, the use of either of these two aircraft could have been the difference in profitability versus a reduction or elimination of service altogether, which is unfortunate.

I do not see what the negativity towards prop planes is. Fact is the Q400 holds more passengers, has better overhead bin space (and overhead clearance), are being retrofitted with first class, and, for thr most part, are newer than many regional jets, oh, and are cheaper to operate.

I would hope that a carrier such as CommutAir or CapeAir who already have a relationship with United, or even Piedmont, which could be a stretch, as they are wholelly owned by US Airways, is able to obtain some financing to purchase the assets being divested here, and pick up the existing workload. I am sure that the other existing United Express Carriers will be unable to fill the void that this will create.

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 18317421)
Don't you mean Charlottesville (CHO)?

Yes, duly updated. I was posting from my phone, and was typing each city in.

sdm1130 Apr 1, 2012 11:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Well this is going to create lots of problems in Texas and smaller cities close to IAH. I say the majority of the smaller city flights out of IAH are Q400 and Sabb 340. I want to know what UA plans to do especially in the Sabb markets???

Some ERJ135s are showing up on the current IAH Saab routes in the summer schedule.

UA will probably find another operator for the Q400 between now and late-November.

alphatarget1 Apr 1, 2012 11:42 pm

Should I be worried? I just booked a flight out of CLL and I leave in 2 weeks.

WIRunner Apr 1, 2012 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by alphatarget1 (Post 18317438)

Unless something major major happens, no. Even if they stopped flying tomorrow it is likely that something would be sorted out by then.

kwildnj Apr 1, 2012 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by alphatarget1 (Post 18317438)

I would say no. I would think flights should be fine through June at the earliest, but then again I could be wrong

Passmethesickbag Apr 2, 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18317423)
As as mentioned previously, this.could have a massive impact on operations in the affected cities. For many of these routes, the use of either of these two aircraft could have been the difference in profitability versus a reduction or elimination of service altogether, which is unfortunate.

True. But at least it could hopefully get those cheapskates to stop offering crop duster service to destinations such as MSY, DFW, BOS, DCA, BWI, YYZ, YUL - and even hub-to-hub flights such as IAD-EWR.

kwildnj Apr 2, 2012 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 18317526)
True. But at least it could hopefully get those cheapskates to stop offering crop duster service to destinations such as MSY, DFW, BOS, DCA, BWI, YYZ, YUL - and even hub-to-hub flights such as IAD-EWR.

I do not see the problem witj a Q400, they aren't half as loud as the rest of the Q fleet, and hey, if the airline can transport 75 passengers for less than what it would cost to transport 50, then I do not see the harm in utilizing these aircraft.