FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How will Pinnacle's (Parent of UAX Operator Colgan Air) bankruptcy impact UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1331521-how-will-pinnacles-parent-uax-operator-colgan-air-bankruptcy-impact-ua.html)

jlemon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JC1120 (Post 18403097)
They're not old, but they use the same engines as the ERJ-145s which means a higher cost per passenger mile. I believe the Q400 operating costs are lower than the ERJ-145s which is why they were chosen, which is why I can't imagine UA is happy about having to bring the ERJ-135s back from just a cost standpoint.

On a sidenote, the pilot I spoke to really likes the ERJ-135s. He says it feels like flying a sports car relative to the ERJ-145 due to the increased power to weight ratio.

Well, I think it's more likely that ExpressJet and its parent company SkyWest are the unhappy ones - that is, depending on the deal they cut with UA in order to replace the Colgan turboprop flying, at least during the short term......

BTW, the same basic power to weight situation that is present with regard to the ERJ-145 vs. ERJ-135 also applies to the 733 vs. 735. Old buddy of mine who flew both variants as a UA Capt. (before PMUA eliminated 737s from their fleet) really liked the 735 as it had more power when compared to the 733.....

And I also found it interesting that AA Eagle recently eliminated their ATR-72 flying from the DFW hub but kept the ERJs.....one would have thought it would have been the other way around, what with the economics of a turboprop when compared with one of the smaller RJs (50 seats or less)....

oopsz Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am

AA runs E-135s AEX-DFW, as well.

I'm sitting at IAH A3 waiting for a Saab to AEX right now. It was supposed to leave at 9:40, but has been delayed to 11:50 due to "Aircraft Maintenance".

Same old Colgan.

airdude35 Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm

RJs to replace colgan

HEY
Embraer jets will be flying from IAH to the following airports effective according to a flight search on UA website:

Tyler
Waco
College Station
Del Rio
Lake Charles
Killeen

kwildnj Apr 25, 2012 1:20 am

Looks like August 14th will be the changeover day for at least the intra-Texas routes.

The Timetable appears to show a ERJ145, but if you act like you are purchasing a ticket, it shows the ERJ135. Operated by ExpressJet.

Looking at a route like IAD-HPN, still shows Colgan SAABS through the end of the bookable period.

sushibear Apr 25, 2012 4:19 am

I just looked at flight options for AUS/JAN, and it looks like now you can even get a direct Colgan flight. :rolleyes: I really would like to stay with UA, but they sure are making the option more and more unpleasant. I recently made the trip on AA, and at least all the flights were on real planes. I also did a recent trip on DL and cleared an upgrade on one of their ERJs. It was one of the nicest short hops in F I can remember.

wcalvert May 15, 2012 9:57 am

Colgan to permanently close IAH location/eliminate 174 jobs starting in July

No big surprise considering the Pinnacle bankruptcy.

What is UA's solution here?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...-location.html

Colgan Air Inc. will close its George Bush Intercontinental Airport location north of Houston, affecting 174 employees
The airline will permanently close the location, will affect 174 employees, according to a May 7 Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification Act notice sent to the Texas Workforce Commission .
Colgan Air, a subsidiary of Memphis-based Pinnacle Airlines Corp. , operates as United Express and US Airways Express in the eastern U.S. and Canada, as well as Texas and Louisiana.
Pinnacle filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection April 1, and it was delisted from the Nasdaq stock market as of April 11. It has been planning to wind down its Colgan Air operations beginning in May and continuing through November, according to the Memphis Business Journal, an affiliated publication.
Colgan Air expects the Houston reductions to begin within the first two weeks of July. Union employees in Houston have bumping rights, meaning that higher-ranked workers whose positions are eliminated can take lower-ranked jobs.

golfingboy May 15, 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 18579134)
No big surprise considering the Pinnacle bankruptcy.

What is UA's solution here?

UA already has a solution, they brought in the ERJ-135s to replace the saabs based out of IAH. Republic will take over the Q400 routes.

wcalvert May 15, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 18579480)
UA already has a solution, they brought in the ERJ-135s to replace the saabs based out of IAH. Republic will take over the Q400 routes.

Ahhh, that's right. I remember reading the 135 thread ^

EWR764 May 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I expect most of these employees to ultimately wind up with Republic once they move in at IAH.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...lying-pinnacle

gunney07 Jul 30, 2012 7:30 am

Are the Dash 8's Gone??

I have been trying to fly a prop plane for a year now. I finally got a trip set up with 3 different dash 8's so I know I would get one. I just got an email notification that they have all been changed to E145's. Has anyone else noticed the Dash's disappearing?? The routes that were changed were pit-iad-pvd and buf-ewr

UAL4life Jul 30, 2012 7:47 am

Originally Posted by gunney07 (Post 19026422)
I have been trying to fly a prop plane for a year now. I finally got a trip set up with 3 different dash 8's so I know I would get one. I just got an email notification that they have all been changed to E145's. Has anyone else noticed the Dash's disappearing?? The routes that were changed were pit-iad-pvd and buf-ewr

Colgan, the sole operator of the Dash-8 Q400 and SAAB-340 for UAX, is in the process of going/went under. So they are drawing down (temporarily?**) the Q400s and Saabs.

You can still find the E120s, Q200s, Q300s, and Beech1900s some routes.

**I'm not entirely sure, but I think UA is currently in the works of transferring those aircraft to another carrier to resume operations in the future- I heard Republic will be taking over the Q400s

FriendlySkies Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by UAL4life (Post 19026510)

**I'm not entirely sure, but I think UA is currently in the works of transferring those aircraft to another carrier to resume operations in the future- I heard Republic will be taking over the Q400s

Yup-- Republic will begin flying the Q400s out of DEN in mid-August. Not sure what the plan is for EWR, etc.

belfordrocks Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by gunney07 (Post 19026422)

You could try flying US or one of the smaller ones out of CLE instead...

SS255 Jul 30, 2012 8:15 pm

I was on a Commutair Dash 8 Q200 this am from AVP-EWR.