Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Possible reasons
-- Oversold economy / lower cabin
-- Irrops of other flights creating an oversold economy situation
-- change of scheduled aircraft ( or an expected change), this is to protect against overbooking business
-- broken seat(s)
-- pilot / crew rest seat(s)

Generally, this is good news for those on the upgrade list and a possible chance of Op-ups for some.
Print Wikipost

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: United, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, AA
Thanks. The blocked seats are in F. We are in J and hoping to upgrade to F.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jkjjpc
oh. Sorry didn’t read too carefully. The same logic applies.

Theyre holding 4 FC seats for upgrades (instrument/ buyups/op-ups) rather than selling them or allowing someone not on the flight to book them.

If if you are on the FC waitlist in the top 4, I’d say your chances are pretty good!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

oh. Sorry didn’t read too carefully. The same logic applies.

Theyre holding 4 FC seats for upgrades (instrument/ buyups/op-ups) rather than selling them or allowing someone not on the flight to book them.

If if you are on the FC waitlist in the top 4, I’d say your chances are pretty good!
in today's case, those 4 held seats in F are due to oversales in J, due to storm reaccoms
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by runner450
reaccoms
I think Oscar ruined that word forever. You should say rebooks <3
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
With my deductions, I can see that the OP is #1 and #2 in the upgrade list to First for tonight's flight to BRU.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A subtlety: On TPACs with flight times over 12 hours, where there are four pilots on the pmUA 777-200ER, normally 6B is reserved for a resting pilot. If F is sold < 8, one of those F seats is then held for the pilot and he/she is "upgraded" from J to F and 6B then becomes available for sale or Y->J upgrade. A J->F upgrade request that has not cleared by flight time may not prevent this from happening. I've seen it go both ways. Perhaps one of our UA gate agent friends can clarify the specific policy.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
A subtlety: On TPACs with flight times over 12 hours, where there are four pilots on the pmUA 777-200ER, normally 6B is reserved for a resting pilot. If F is sold < 8, one of those F seats is then held for the pilot and he/she is "upgraded" from J to F and 6B then becomes available for sale or Y->J upgrade. A J->F upgrade request that has not cleared by flight time may not prevent this from happening. I've seen it go both ways. Perhaps one of our UA gate agent friends can clarify the specific policy.
I was wondering the same thing: do pilots sleep on flights to Europe? But then I thought that the flight IAD to BRU is not too long so maybe they don't sleep. ON TPACs, on the pmUA 772, I have seen that when First is not packed they reserve two seats in First for the pilots. Sometimes they release 6B, sometimes they don't. On my flight from PEK last Saturday, there were two seats empty in First, they did not release 6B even thought there were passengers in the waitlist for the upgrade to Business. The pilots slept in First. And 6B was empty during the whole flight, although the passenger in 6G tried to move to 6B but was prevented from doing so by the FA.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I was wondering the same thing: do pilots sleep on flights to Europe?
yes, i’v Seen it on ORD-FRA.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: United, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, AA
Than for the feedback. Our upgrades cleared about 2 hours before the flight.
wxguy likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
This should turn out well for you. Those blocked seats cannot be purchased or upgraded into. The gate agent will process that and upgrade those on the list into those blocked seats. If nobody is on the upgrade list, the gate agent will op-up based on status (paid fares first, of course).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:38 pm

Than for the feedback. Our upgrades cleared about 2 hours before the flight.
Good for you!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Example from earlier today. Scheduled to fly UA1148 EWR-LAX.

Had to get up early to connect into EWR for the flight and checked on the app:

So I was still @ #1 on the upgrade list using an expiring 2017 GPU and saw the +2 blocked. Wasn't sure what to make of it but of course FT and this thread made it clear.

Still was @ #1 when my inbound flight took off for EWR. At landing, reconnected because Gogo was worthless and still stood @ #1 .

Grabbed some eats in the UC and then re-checked on the @ app at ~T-1. Voila - both me and #2 were given the upgrades:

Hurrah!

David
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Another example.... On the ERJ-175, they will typically oversell the overall aircraft by 2 people on this route (though there are always no-shows). Right now, they have blocked 7 seats in F, with 4 sold. That last seat is currently for sale for $1800 o.w. (in F class)... meaning UA is willing to oversell by another for a high price knowing that they will likely be able to find a couple volunteers for $200 - $500 a piece and make a killing. My guess is that once I get within a couple days of departure and that seat is still available, they may just zero it out (meaning block the 8th open seat and leaving overall capacity at oversold by 1).

I need to be on this flight, unfortunately, but it did cost a pretty penny to buy a seat in B... and as far as I know, I got the last purchasable seat in economy. I have seen this happen several times on this specific flight... UA could probably sell seats in economy for more and still fill this plane up. At least I'm a sure bet to get upgraded.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Another example.... On the ERJ-175, they will typically oversell the overall aircraft by 2 people on this route (though there are always no-shows). Right now, they have blocked 7 seats in F, with 4 sold. That last seat is currently for sale for $1800 o.w. (in F class)... meaning UA is willing to oversell by another for a high price knowing that they will likely be able to find a couple volunteers for $200 - $500 a piece and make a killing. My guess is that once I get within a couple days of departure and that seat is still available, they may just zero it out (meaning block the 8th open seat and leaving overall capacity at oversold by 1).

I need to be on this flight, unfortunately, but it did cost a pretty penny to buy a seat in B... and as far as I know, I got the last purchasable seat in economy. I have seen this happen several times on this specific flight... UA could probably sell seats in economy for more and still fill this plane up. At least I'm a sure bet to get upgraded.
But why the demand for GRR-DEN?

David
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
But why the demand for GRR-DEN?

David
might be spring break for a local college.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.