Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yes and no - you will be automatically upgraded on the domestic segment(s) if they have PZ class available at booking.
Thanks man! None of the five possible flights have PZ or will have it. (Economy ticket is $3,500 for B class from IAD to TPE through SFO)
So Plat/ B Class but no PZ means upgrade is unlikely, right?

Cheers
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeyJoeyJoeJoe
Thanks man! None of the five possible flights have PZ or will have it. (Economy ticket is $3,500 for B class from IAD to TPE through SFO)

Cheers
Upgrades on IAD-SFO are tough to get for anyone. When you're searching for PZ space, though, make sure to search IAD-SFO, not IAD-TPE. That said, it's extremely rare to see PZ on a hub-to-hub flight, especially in advance. (They may open some up at the last minute when they have flights that don't sell).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Cheers
Correct. Unless you otherwise have a reason to purchase a B class ticket, lowest Economy and paying for the cash upgrade offers, or sometimes just paying for discount Business, are more effective ways to get into the premium cabin. If you are only interested in an upgrade on the IAD-SFO segment, it is extremely likely you will see an offer for $309 at some point before travel.

As jsloan noted, hub-hub travel will almost never see PZ space in advance, especially on peak days. All of my TCON flights so far this year have been D0 at booking. I did happen to see a Tuesday morning BWI-SFO that had PZ though.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Upgrades on IAD-SFO.....
Originally Posted by findark
Correct....
Thanks guys. At first, I didn't realize a Y/B has no affect on flights from the US to Asia, and thought if I bought a Y/B ticket, I'd get automatically upgraded to business class fro the SFO to TPE route. Since the contract pays for coach but not business on this trip, I spent alot of time looking for a good Y/B flight under $3,500. What a waste of time, didn't realize it was useless. Thanks for your time guys
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a waste of time, didn't realize it was useless. Thanks for your time guys
If you have MileagePlus miles to spare, you can use them to upgrade SFO-TPE with no copay. That upgrade might not clear either, but it's worth considering. Mileage upgrades aren't usually a great deal because discount fares have a copay attached. The cost for a B-class ticket is 30K miles each way, with no out of pocket cost.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure how this is supposed to look or work: have a Lufthansa (220-) ticket booked in E (PE) with two US domestic segments on UA metal booked in M. Should this be eligible for a Y/B/M instant upgrade as a 1K?

PN is not available at the moment on either flight. The reservation says "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested" and it will allow me to waitlist an RPU/MUA. That feels wrong to me since the M fare should already be waitlisted as higher priority than either, right? A curt 1K agent told me it's "automatically" waitlisted. Should these segments be eligible for a Y/B/M upgrade and, if so, what do I need to ask an agent to do?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by symphonicman
Not sure how this is supposed to look or work: have a Lufthansa (220-) ticket booked in E (PE) with two US domestic segments on UA metal booked in M. Should this be eligible for a Y/B/M instant upgrade as a 1K?

PN is not available at the moment on either flight. The reservation says "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested" and it will allow me to waitlist an RPU/MUA. That feels wrong to me since the M fare should already be waitlisted as higher priority than either, right? A curt 1K agent told me it's "automatically" waitlisted. Should these segments be eligible for a Y/B/M upgrade and, if so, what do I need to ask an agent to do?
If the res is showing that the upgrade has been requested you should be all set if PN space opens (though you may want to keep an eye out for PN inventory periodically from T=Now to T=96 since those don't seem to get swept as frequently and may want to call to clear if something opens up). The terminology displayed isn't always what you expect, but if the res shows an upgrade requested it generally means you're on the right waitlist.

Though it's not explicitly stated, I'm not sure that a YBM is a higher priority than an instrument-supported (GPU/RPU/MUA) upgrade -- in fact I would expect that if you had two 1Ks on the same fare (including Y, B, or M) where PN wasn't available at time of ticketing the instrument applied would be the tie-breaker. IMO, it's a terrible way to burn an instrument, but others may disagree.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I bought an M fare BOS-EWR-FLL a few weeks ago. PN=0, so no instant clear. I've been watching daily. This morning (still a week out), I saw that PN=0 on BOS-EWR, but PN=2 on EWR-FLL, yet, no automatic clearance. I logged into the reservation on the app, and for the BOS-EWR it still said, "CPU Eligible." But for EWR-FLL, it said something to the effect that upgrade space was now available, and to "click here" if I wanted to confirm an upgrade. It went through right away, and PN decremented to 1.

The lesson is that outside of the CPU window, one must monitor and grab the upgrade when PN (or PZ) becomes available.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
I bought an M fare BOS-EWR-FLL a few weeks ago. PN=0, so no instant clear. I've been watching daily. This morning (still a week out), I saw that PN=0 on BOS-EWR, but PN=2 on EWR-FLL, yet, no automatic clearance. I logged into the reservation on the app, and for the BOS-EWR it still said, "CPU Eligible." But for EWR-FLL, it said something to the effect that upgrade space was now available, and to "click here" if I wanted to confirm an upgrade. It went through right away, and PN decremented to 1.

The lesson is that outside of the CPU window, one must monitor and grab the upgrade when PN (or PZ) becomes available.
Isn't this how it always worked? I thought clearing the instant upgrade always required clicking the button when PN is open.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by fumje
Isn't this how it always worked? I thought clearing the instant upgrade always required clicking the button when PN is open.
I've received notification of auto-clearing in the past. It seems random.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
I've received notification of auto-clearing in the past. It seems random.
Interesting. Obviously I never have. Thanks for reporting.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, that's correct. There is no waitlisting for Y/B/M upgrades. If an uncleared Y/B/M upgrade appeared to automatically process into PN post-purchase, it was either a GS/1K CPU inside the window or manual intervention by a GS agent.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
.... Though it's not explicitly stated, I'm not sure that a YBM is a higher priority than an instrument-supported (GPU/RPU/MUA) upgrade -- in fact I would expect that if you had two 1Ks on the same fare (including Y, B, or M) where PN wasn't available at time of ticketing the instrument applied would be the tie-breaker. IMO, it's a terrible way to burn an instrument, but others may disagree.
it is actually explictly stated
The following is the order of priority for upgrades, within four days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted in waitlist priority order
  • All remaining Premier members: Sorted in waitlist priority order
All reported experiences show the applying of a supported upgrade disrupts the Y/B/M priority -- and should not be done
PN will be clear before PZ upgrades and at the gate, YBM are listed higher than supported upgraders.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It's been 2-3 years since I've been on an instant upgrade eligible YBM fare.

If PN space opens up, will I be able to upgrade via the app?

And, visually on the app and the webpage, when no PN space is available, does it look exactly the same as if I was on a lower fare? Showing "CPU Eligible" on the app, "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested" on the web? I vaguely recall some text, like 1K Instant Upgrade Eligible, but perhaps that was only when there was inventory available? It's been too long...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
The instant part of the upgrade process is nebulous. But yes, if PZ space opens up, you can call and have them push the upgrade through. There will not be an option to do it through the app.

Originally Posted by thesun
It's been 2-3 years since I've been on an instant upgrade eligible YBM fare.

If PN space opens up, will I be able to upgrade via the app?

And, visually on the app and the webpage, when no PN space is available, does it look exactly the same as if I was on a lower fare? Showing "CPU Eligible" on the app, "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested" on the web? I vaguely recall some text, like 1K Instant Upgrade Eligible, but perhaps that was only when there was inventory available? It's been too long...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.