Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost domestic First Class seats due to aircraft swap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, TK Elite Plus, AZ Freccia Alata Plus

Last weekend's schedule change brought an equipment change for me for a flight in August: Flying in Business from Germany into IAD and then on to LGA. I had reserved 2A on the scheduled EMB 170 but the aircraft is now an EMB 145 for both the outbound and the return. I was booked in First (A) but the EMB 145 is a single class aircraft so I guess I'll be in Economy.
I haven't accepted the changes yet.
What are my options now?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:40 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Your only option is to book to a later flight that is operated by an E170. If your flight is late enough as it is, then your only choice is to accept the E145 flight.

You will still earn the 150% bonus EQMs, but you will lose 50% redeemable miles, which translates into a net loss of 250 miles [875 vs 625].

Relevant enough to complain? That is only up to you based on personal expectations. If it were me, I would not care too much about it since it is a rather short flight.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
There are five flights from FRA-IAD and two from MUC-IAD. You mention Germany so I dont know which city.

The IAD-LGA flight you mention, I assume you mean UA3517 that departs from IAD at 5:08pm on an ERJ-170, w/FClass which was changed with new schedule to UA5956 departing at 5:16pm on an ERJ-145 with a single class.

IAD-LGA, in August, there's UA5956 at 5:16pm & UA5736 at 8:17am - the only two of six flts that does not have 1st class.

The flight is only 1 hour long. If you can get 12A on UA5956, you'll have almost identical seating as if you had 2A. There's no snack on both flights.

FRA-IAD: UA953 arrives at 2:01pm; UA917 arrives 3:02pm; UA8827 (LH) arrives 3:45pm
MUC-IAD: UA903 arrives at 2:44pm

The IAD-LGA flight before yours is at 2pm (w/FC), but even if you were on any of the above flights from Germany you wouldn't make it. The one after your IAD-LGA flight, which is also the last flight of the day to LGA, is much later, at 10pm and NOT worth waiting a total 7+ hours for IMO.

Two other options if it means a great deal to you:

Coming from MUC-IAD you can take the later flight, UA8785 (LH) arrives 7:20pm, and connect to the two class 10pm flt to LGA.

From FRA, there's UA 933 leaving FRA at 5pm arrives IAD at 7:42pm which you can connect to the 10pm 2-class flight to LGA; you arrive late into new York City.

There's also UA 8832 (operated by LH) which departs FRA-IAD at 9am and arrives at 12:35pm, which you might make the 2:01pm flt from IAD-LGA w/FClass.

If I were you and coming out of FRA, I would try moving to the later flight out of FRA on UA aircraft and connect to 10pm flt, otherwise it is not worth your time, energy and money IMO. Remember UA has the flat sleeper seats.

SAFE TRAVELS!

UG

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:08 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
"The horror. The horror."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.