FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

Eneka Aug 10, 2022 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 34503713)
I have another IAD-LAX flight on December 8, and the same thing happened a few days ago but the purchase offer was $468. That is pretty much my limit on a flight like this and I decided I'd go for it now. I probably could have waited for it to drop down to $349 but you never know with this. This compares to my return flight on a 737-800 where I am the only person in E+ and no one is in F, but the upsell offer is $887.

My return trip on Dec 31st is $488 to upgrade on a non-polarized 777. Was $349 a couple weeks ago haha. Comming back is quite a bit shorter flight so I don't mind tooo much!

CMK10 Aug 10, 2022 4:50 pm

After a schedule change I went to change RDU-EWR-SFO to RDU-IAD-SFO. It was a free change for Y or $659 to change to C (RDU-IAD is sold out in F).

After making the free change I was offered IAD-SFO for $488.

I declined, probably stupidly, am going to try with PlusPoints.

pseudoswede Aug 10, 2022 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34502733)
I was able to successfully pay the $86 change fare this morning; however, my ticket is "still being processed", so we'll see if it sticks.

Shortly after this, I was able to do a $0 change to D ticket. I was hoping for a bump in PQPs, but I guess it's tied to purchase price regardless of fare class? Now, it costs money for me to "upgrade" to an economy ticket (E fare).

kishkash Aug 11, 2022 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 34502487)
That is a very good offer for UA Gold. Hope that you make to SIN very soon.

I did make it (and just flew back 2 days later, woof), but I should note that I am now 1K, so I’m not sure how much that might have affected things.

tcdtcd Aug 11, 2022 6:06 pm

So Scott overrode CS and sent you a check? 🤣
Glad you have connections to management!🙄

dchobo Aug 12, 2022 3:58 pm

UA2 SIN-SFO (8/8/2022) was cancelled and the 4 of us were re-booked 1 day later.

Received email from United Customer Care today (in response to my message to them 4 days ago) that each of us will get 7,500 miles. Also, they are "happy to consider reimbursement up to our maximum of $200 for the hotel and $30 per person for meals" with itemized receipts.

Silver status.

Does this seem in-line with what others are getting on canceled flights?

Flying Machine Aug 12, 2022 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34509997)
Without high elite status, yes

In extreme cases, anyone can try writing to UA's executives or initiate a DOT complaint (but DOT requests you have attempted resolution with the carrier first)

I thought when you use that form rather than 1K voice, It’s all routed by status to the appropriate department as you need to place your MP number??

WineCountryUA Aug 12, 2022 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34510443)
I thought when you use that form rather than 1K voice, It’s all routed by status to the appropriate department as you need to place your MP number??

Believe that is correct, but high level elites can also use their elite desk email. OP asked if the online customer support form approach was "the only way". For lower level-elites, non-elites yes there are no other ways (except the other extraordinary methods mentioned) but there is an alternative for higher elites. Is it any better, probably not, but it is an alternative approach.

listorganizer Aug 13, 2022 2:49 pm

Has anyone had success buying a Premium Plus upgrade, either at check-in or earlier, for the 2nd leg of a trip booked via UA?

IAD-HND is in Premium Plus. The Economy leg is on ANA (HND-BKK). This is all on one ticket. Don't see any upgrade options for PP available either through United or ANA for the HND-BKK leg. Never flown ANA before, so not familiar if they offer PP.

IAD-HND is a 777-200 and HND-BKK is 787-9. I'm fine with the economy leg, but was wondering if a PP upgrade is even possible when the classes are split like that.

WineCountryUA Aug 13, 2022 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 34512707)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34512020)
What is the advantage of that?

Presumably if someone else paid the charge and the refund wouldn’t be going back to OP’s credit card..

Was curious of the poster's reasoning / thinking.
Understand the mechanics.

WineCountryUA Aug 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by listorganizer (Post 34512453)
Has anyone had success buying a Premium Plus upgrade, either at check-in or earlier, for the 2nd leg of a trip booked via UA?

IAD-HND is in Premium Plus. The Economy leg is on ANA (HND-BKK). This is all on one ticket. Don't see any upgrade options for PP available either through United or ANA for the HND-BKK leg. Never flown ANA before, so not familiar if they offer PP.

IAD-HND is a 777-200 and HND-BKK is 787-9. I'm fine with the economy leg, but was wondering if a PP upgrade is even possible when the classes are split like that.

UA or ANA ticket?

PremPlus is purchasable as a cash upgrade from economy -- multiple example in the cash upgrade thread. Fare construction should not matter for UA.

Montyaloofah Aug 14, 2022 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34480832)
I would give it a day, then write in and explain the story concisely. Hopefully they’ll uphold if need to write in.. Keep us posted

Follow up. I wrote to United customer care. I received a response the following week honoring the $100etc. It’s now in my account.

Flying Machine Aug 14, 2022 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Montyaloofah (Post 34513412)
Follow up. I wrote to United customer care. I received a response the following week honoring the $100etc. It’s now in my account.

Nice to hear! Glad that UA did the right thing and you received what was rightfully yours! Appreciate your follow up

DutchessPDX Aug 16, 2022 5:10 pm

I've requested an upgrade with Miles + Cash for an upcoming flight. I'm booked in Premium Plus but if I get a buy up offer to Polaris on the day of departure, do I get my original Miles+Cash back? Or is the Buyup in addition to my Miles+Cash upgrade?

1k-all-the-way Aug 16, 2022 7:26 pm

SFO CDG

I have booked CDG SFO in Premium economy and have a buy up offer CDG to SFO segment for $1700. I have requested an upgrade with pp and there are 11 open seats on map and at least 9 for sale. Not sure what to do. I also need to do the extra spend to make 1k again...and not sure I'll have another opportunity. Any thoughts on how likely this offer may stay in my account? Or if i should hold out for the upgrade and find a way to spend the money on another flight?