Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using United Miles-intl

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Using United Miles-intl

I am trying to use United miles, but am confused. When I look on the United website, it is showing few possibilities for Saver Awards (Biz or F/C) from LAX or SFO to AKL. (Actually live in ANC), but SFO & LAX seems to have the award space. On the United website, the only saver award is on partner Air China with a long layover.

Going into Expert Flyer, I see several "O" space availability on United and Air New Zealand flights that are direct flights from SFO or LAX.. There does not appear to be any "I" space available. Am I looking in the wrong place, for the wrong thing, or ????
My trip plans are for Nov, and my dates are somewhat flexible.

My next question: is there the likelihood that more "saver" space will be available in the future; or is it typically booked up right at the 330 day and then usually gone? IOW, should I be waiting for more availability?

Sorry for such a novice question. I have plenty of United miles, but haven't flown United for years.

Thnx for any/all advice.

Advice appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's a popular route for both paid biz and biz awards, so it's unsurprising that there's no availability released or its already been booked.

Saver space can be released at any time, but it is not likely on these routes.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whereishome?
Going into Expert Flyer, I see several "O" space availability on United and Air New Zealand flights that are direct flights from SFO or LAX..
O has been repurposed. It's a (paid) Premium Economy fare class. Neither NZ nor UA offer first class.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
High demand in November, December, and January - with the holidays and NZ summer. Not likely for a saver award to show up.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...When I look on the United website, it is showing few possibilities for Saver Awards (Biz or F/C) from LAX or SFO to AKL.
<snip>
availability on United and Air New Zealand flights that are direct flights from SFO or LAX.
Air NZ are well know to be very stingy with awards available to ff partners.
However about 3 years ago I got a AKL-SFO business class on Air NZ with UA ff miles for June about 60 days out.

Going from Alaska you may find other availability via Asia to AKL (SEA, YVR or ?)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Going from Alaska you may find other availability via Asia to AKL (SEA, YVR or ?)
SEA might be a possible. AC only flies ANC-YVR in the (northern) summer.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
thnx for that info, obviously I am looking for the wrong fare class. And, it sounds as though my Nov travel dates are very restricted on NZ and I am not exactly keen on flying Air China. Reading bad reports.

But... what would the new fare class for Biz/First award space be on Air New Zealand. I am looking through Expert Flyer and NZ flights show up as "O" available, and the fare codes on Expert Flyer unfortunately still list O as award space.

No wonder I am having so much fun - NOT.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. And, it sounds as though my Nov travel dates are very restricted on NZ...
All award travel dates with Air NZ are restricted
If you can get to Australia (any airport) paid east coast Au<---->NZ economy fares are about Au/NZ $250 one way (can be less or can be more) Many airlines from many cities fly trans Tasman. Not just SYD-AKL and by QF/NZ. Flight time is about 3:30hr.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But... what would the new fare class for Biz/First award space be on Air New Zealand. .....
I is business saver award

NZ (and UA) do not have 3-class First.

ExpertFlyer will not show any of the 2 letter fare class

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA - wiki has the present UA fare class definitions
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am looking through Expert Flyer and NZ flights show up as "O" available, and the fare codes on Expert Flyer unfortunately still list O as award space.
If you're looking to redeem UA miles, Expert Flyer is not going to be much help. Suggest you search the UA website for awards, as that's basically the universe of what can be booked.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
thnx for that info, obviously I am looking for the wrong fare class. And, it sounds as though my Nov travel dates are very restricted on NZ and I am not exactly keen on flying Air China. Reading bad reports.

But... what would the new fare class for Biz/First award space be on Air New Zealand. I am looking through Expert Flyer and NZ flights show up as "O" available, and the fare codes on Expert Flyer unfortunately still list O as award space.
If it's a trip that can tolerate the risks of Air China, I'd take Air China. 777 hard product is the same as most of UA's fleet.

Business class award space is class I. Air New Zealand doesn't have a Biz/First or First class product.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:59 pm

IMHO - Air China biz is better than any airline in Coach. Reviews tend to be negative in general,. There can be issues but in all likelihood most flights will be fine. YMMV
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:14 am

Good luck finding the award space you seek. I too would not be to keen on flying Air China to get to AKL. If I were in your shoes and schedule allowed, I would consider the AS non-stop to HNL, with an overnight (or two) before continuing on either HA or NZ to AKL. Auckland is only 8.5 hours from HNL, and if you watch the the fares for a while, they tend to go on sale every 4 weeks or so. HNL-AKL is easily doable in economy since it is a daytime flight. I booked one-ways, and was able to get the overnight AKL-HNL in Prem Economy for around $650. Then my $300 one-up bid to biz for came through. Unfortunately, non-stop NZ award availability out of HNL is no better than what you've already discovered for the West Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.