Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The simple solution would be to arrange another trip, fly to London on Norwegian on one of their amazingly cheap one way fares and then use the UA return.
I think the legacy airlines will likely respond to Norwegian/WOW etc - I guess UA will wait to see what AA and DL does. Reasonable Intercontinental OW on UA does exist but not TATL as far as I'm aware. APD slightly complicates things in the UK + other, but if they don't respond they will loose market share.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CIT85
I've been looking Business Class airfare for ORD-HKG/PVG-RIC in November. The multi-city search typically would show Z outbound and P return, cheaper than D outbound and P return if I searched one-way.

However, the last few days when I searched the same routes, I am getting higher prices for multi-city ORD-HKG (D) and PVG-RIC (P) than one-way at same fare basis. The ORD-HKG portion priced at $5064 for multi-city vs $4182 for one-way. Even the return P fare is $2439 fro milt-city vs $2257 for one-way.

This is just weird.
PVG-RIC as a standalone ticket uses a completely different fare table than as part of a US-originating r/t. The fares are priced in CNY and meant to compete in the Chinese market.

I don't have a quick answer for ORD-HKG though.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
PVG-RIC as a standalone ticket uses a completely different fare table than as part of a US-originating r/t. The fares are priced in CNY and meant to compete in the Chinese market.

I don't have a quick answer for ORD-HKG though.
The ORD-HKG is probably just a display bug on .bomb. The way the website "prorates" fares over the roundtrip and multicity fare components is often wonky.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:33 am

thanks to this wealth of knowledge. need the tip or trick for upcoming res.

We are flying EWR - LHR 12/25 ... great flight over (time, price, etc.). Getting back is a little more difficult. Willing to fly home either 1/1 or 1/2 (kids want 1/2!), but prices are more challenging.

I can take Norwegian from JFK, but would rather fly UA in and out of EWR. Willing to fly back into JFK for the right price (ie. Norwegian) , but can't figure out how to book OW on UA without the price jumping up.

Any tricks how to book OW to LHR without the price jump?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by surfmom

Any tricks how to book OW to LHR without the price jump?
No, not really if you want to fly US legacy on longhaul.

While domestic being booked as roundtrip for low price has gone away, it is very much still the case for over ocean flying. UA, AA, etc will often be cheaper round trip than one way.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
No, not really if you want to fly US legacy on longhaul.

While domestic being booked as roundtrip for low price has gone away, it is very much still the case for over ocean flying. UA, AA, etc will often be cheaper round trip than one way.
ugh. thanks. not the answer I was hoping for, but what I expected. playing around with multi trip to see if I can find a cheap return flight home that would be a throwaway...

thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by surfmom
ugh. thanks. not the answer I was hoping for, but what I expected. playing around with multi trip to see if I can find a cheap return flight home that would be a throwaway...
If you plan to go to London or even Europe sometime in the next year, you could book EWR-LHR for 12/25 and LON-NYC or even [other European city]-NYC some later date...for example maybe this summer. You'll get the OW/OJ price for the UA flight and can use the return leg later. Obviously you'll have to get yourself to Europe somewhow (Norwegian again?) and maybe you're not planning to go to Europe this summer...but it's an idea.

Might be technically against the fare rules but not likely to be a problem.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The o/w fares to LHR in Y have always been pretty pricey. When I would do it a few times to use GPUs the W fade would be like $1300-1700 whereas I could book a o/w W SFO-HKG vv for $525 or MEL-LAX for $750.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Houston to London

We need to fly from IAH to LHR in late December. Matrix is showing $7,054. PP. That is an insane amount, but I'm wondering if it is going to go up from there. The other airlines showing are operated by United and higher price.

Do I bite the bullet now before it gets worse?

Thank you for any helpful advice.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What dates and what class are you looking at? Nothing I see is anywhere near those prices.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
We need to fly from IAH to LHR in late December. Matrix is showing $7,054. PP. That is an insane amount, but I'm wondering if it is going to go up from there. The other airlines showing are operated by United and higher price.

Do I bite the bullet now before it gets worse?

Thank you for any helpful advice.
There have been a number of recent threads lamenting the prices to Europe. Nobody can tell if the prices will go higher. They key is flexibility, both in your dates (if you can) and the city you arrive at in Europe.

This week I was shocked at being asked to pay $11k to go from LA to Barcelona. I searched and found a United flight for $3.5k to Tel Aviv. Anothe $800 got me to BCN and back. It’s not convenient, but Inlove to fly. If you have flexibility, check out other cities. TLV is admittedly a tad crazy, but you’ll never know what you’ll find at destinations across the channel.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
What dates and what class are you looking at? Nothing I see is anywhere near those prices.
I do not see anything that high either. If OP has dates and classes we can provide more help.

Try searching on different sites. I usually start with Google Flights. Very easy to use. It gives you a calendar of fares and will suggest changing your travel days by a couple of days to save money. It links to sites where you can purchase your tickets. In most cases there is a link to purchase via the operating airline which is nice.

Also try checking with Online Travel Agents like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Momondo.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Award redemption may be another option, especially given the higher cash price and the potential saver awards availability.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
IAH-LHR

One way United, IAH to LHR in December. Matrix is showing $7,054. PP. business class. This is the lowest
fare.
is it likely to only go up from here on?
Thank for any relevant info.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
What is the purpose?

Elite Qualifying Dollars (e.g. client pays) - go for it

reasonably priced fare - buy a RT trip ticket and 'forget' to fly back, GDS dummy booking:

1 UA 880P 15DEC 6 IAHLHR SS1 1620 0725 16DEC 7 /DCUA /E

2 UA 879P 28DEC 5 LHRIAH SS1 1005 1455 /DCUA /E :

15DEC DEPARTURE DATE-----LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 17FEB/2040
BASE FARE TAXES/FEES/CHARGES TOTAL
1- USD2350.00 1297.41XT USD3647.41ADT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.