Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
I just noticed this. I'm going to Tokyo next month and only my return date is confirmed. I am trying to buy a one way ticket from HND or NRT back to SFO, but the ticket only prices in Y. If I do a round trip, then I can get lower fare classes. ..
Usually the cheapest approach is to book the RT with a speculative return date and once in japan and once the date firms up, pay the change fee and reschedule the return.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by rkkwan
HKG-NRT-SFO on NH/UA can be have for $1,434 on some dates in Aug. One way in W.

HKG-GUM-HNL-ORD on UA on some dates for $1,281 in L.

I'm curious, how are you pricing that? Are you putting in a multi-stop itinerary manually? Or is there some super-secret technique i've managed to miss all these years to find these deals.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'm curious, how are you pricing that? Are you putting in a multi-stop itinerary manually? Or is there some super-secret technique i've managed to miss all these years to find these deals.
I'm assuming Google Flights.

united.com is next to worthless.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by roymustang
Just at a glance in SABRE, looks like the only one-way fares United has filed for Tokyo to SF are Y, J, and F fares, anything cheaper requires a roundtrip. While it's certainly debatable whether that's a good idea from a Rev Mgt perspective, it definitely appears that United.com is working as designed.
It is peculiar - I've always assumed that they're happy to take someone's Y fare (which aren't going to be many people choosing United from overseas), but if you want a discount fly roundtrip.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, TP has lts of good international fares priced as one-way journeys. Most of these also allow a 72 or so hour stopover at LIS.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:41 pm

Ditto SQ for NRT/ICN/HKG-SFO/LAX
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Specifically, TYO and LON (and more broadly, Europe) almost never have discount one-way fares from the US, and other markets tend to have them more often.
? what do you mean by discount? Until very recently I've typically flown OW US to TYO and back OW at reasonable W fares. It's only recently that they changed their OW fares to full fare Y TYO to US.

For the future TYO to USA OW I'm looking at other carriers as others have suggested.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
? what do you mean by discount? Until very recently I've typically flown OW US to TYO and back OW at reasonable W fares. It's only recently that they changed their OW fares to full fare Y TYO to US.

For the future TYO to USA OW I'm looking at other carriers as others have suggested.
Indeed, this shift in pricing has unfortunately pushed me towards other carriers for my upcoming flights. Not a bad thing I suppose, but United has usually been somewhat good to me. Time to see what other carriers can offer!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

Anyone knows why they made the change? Is the change going to be permanent?

I have bought HKG-SFO OW as recent as last month so I suppose this only applies to Japan to US flights?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Usually the cheapest approach is to book the RT with a speculative return date and once in japan and once the date firms up, pay the change fee and reschedule the return.
My challenge is I can't decide on the outbound date until much later, but I know the exact return date (which has R space at this time).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 19, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Hm, I might be getting it mixed up with the fact that fares to TYO are just high always (often cheaper do a r/t to ICN and "stop over"). LON is definitely the banner "no one way" market.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:50 am

With increasing LCC competition (LON in particular) they may need to rethink that strategy
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm assuming Google Flights.

united.com is next to worthless.
Google flights is much better than united.com in finding cheap flights on UA.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Thanks for reminding me of how I was considering an r/t to Australia departing last December and returning this coming August on another carrier: I had two unrelated trips and I could fill all of the relevant holes with miles...so if I was going to go in the hole for $5000 for a one-way, spending that on an r/t and getting two separate vacations in the deal didn't seem too bad.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:08 am
Suspended

Don't Need Return Leg of Ticket. What to Do?

Hi,

I had to fly to Europe. Cheaper to buy a return ticket than one way ticket so did just that. But the return ticket was still $2K.

Now what can I do with the return leg?

Can I cancel the ticket and get a United voucher or something?
Is there a cancellation or change fee when I reuse the voucher?

When I click to cancel the ticket I get:

"This reservation has no refundable value if cancelled. A refund will not be credited.

You may make changes to this reservation according to the fare rules of the cancelled reservation by selecting Change Flights on the View Reservation page."

But I don't really know when I'll need to fly again!

Last edited by PsuedoEuropeanGuy; Sep 15, 2017 at 3:23 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:43 am

So..you booked a return because it was cheaper than a one way.
It appears to be a heavily restricted ticket.
You have used it AS a one way...and now want a credit for the unused portion?

Wow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.