Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ShutteLag
you mean just throw away the checked bag?
Some people prefer to haul 80lb weighting 'bags' into cabin. And some, like me, prefer to check 8lb sports bag filled with used underwear so the only carry-on is a notebook briefcase. I don't know in which category you are.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Depends on the time of your arrival at SFO. It is allowed by MCT so you likely can make the connection. If not, rebooking should be easy as you said. Nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ShutteLag
although... the connecting flight is SFO-LAX, so there's plenty of later flights, if I don't make it....
This. Concern over connection time should also include the consequences of a missed connection, which aren't so bad here.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

UA MCT Table has a default connect time of 80 minutes for a UA to UA I/D connection
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The routine assertion that UA will rebook a misconnect is not particularly helpful to OP because OP has not provided his routing. We don't know his current routing and therefore don't know what a reroute might look like or whether indeed there might be availability on a preferred reroute by the time he misconnects.

While the time is within MCT it is not within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) unless OP has GE, no checked luggage, is familiar with the layout of the airport and can move at a decent clip.

The downside of reroutes is that the prefered ones may not be available or the only seat may be the middle in front of the lav. So, really need to think these through.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:58 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I think you will be fine. Even the non-GOES people have a ton of kiosks to use. Sometimes I see my non-GOES friend move at the same speed as I do! Haul a$$ out of the plane and do the fast walk

All of my experiences as well...bags come pretty quick at SFO, and the re-check is basic. Walk out door...hand to handler.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't sweat this at all. Easy to make that work.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I think you will be fine. Even the non-GOES people have a ton of kiosks to use. Sometimes I see my non-GOES friend move at the same speed as I do! Haul a$$ out of the plane and do the fast walk

All of my experiences as well...bags come pretty quick at SFO, and the re-check is basic. Walk out door...hand to handler.
you're assuming the OP is eligible to use a kiosk, which s/he hasn't said...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Risky but not unrealistic. But like you say, there are plenty of other flights.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Your concern should be going back through security. I don't believe there is a pre-check line when connecting I to D.

I'm doing the same next month, ICN-SFO-IAH. Its an 80 minute connection at SFO, but I have GE and only carry on my bag. The security line is the real sticking point.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Last time I went (several years ago) there was pre check. I'd worry more about a flight delay
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
NO need to stress out of this MCT thing. There are many factors that are out of your control. Just enjoy your trip and relax. If you miss the connection to LAX, you will still get home within three hours of your original schedule. Good luck.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spearsba
Your concern should be going back through security. I don't believe there is a pre-check line when connecting I to D.

I'm doing the same next month, ICN-SFO-IAH. Its an 80 minute connection at SFO, but I have GE and only carry on my bag. The security line is the real sticking point.
All checkpoints that I am aware of have Pre at SFO. I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minutes clearing security at SFO, although I think I somehow manage to avoid peak times (confused when the consultant domestic rush is.. Sunday midnight? Monday 5am? Other times Sunday and Monday SFO has been quiet).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by findark
All checkpoints that I am aware of have Pre at SFO. I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minutes clearing security at SFO, although I think I somehow manage to avoid peak times (confused when the consultant domestic rush is.. Sunday midnight? Monday 5am? Other times Sunday and Monday SFO has been quiet).
+1 on this.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't believe there is a pre-check line when connecting I to D.
???
There's no such thing as transit security at SFO. You exit customs back to the terminal landside.

At that hour, the F checkpoint (by gate 75) should take about 90 seconds with Pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.