FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1316366-rules-open-jaw-stopover-award-flights-consolidated.html)

xkr0p Dec 29, 2013 1:18 pm

I know this is a YMMV kind of thing, but if you have any sort of complex routing or connection crazy itinerary like I did... just immediately ask to speak to the International Reservations desk as they are all PMCO agents who are not only much more experienced with booking these in shares, but also a lot less lenient on the rules...

Wings900-Michael Dec 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I've read through the thread, and I think this is valid but if someone can please confirm.

LAX-TPE-BKK-SYD (destination) SYD-BKK-HKT (stopover - open jaw) HKG-NRT-LAX

Thanks in advance.

Kacee Dec 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ac737 (Post 22046016)
I've been getting a lot of pushback on this reservation - just want to make sure it's valid.

SFO-SEA
SEA-FRA
FRA-KIX
KIX-HKG (destination)

HKG-BKK
BKK-LON (stopover)

VIE-ORD (open-jaw)
ORD-SFO

(ideally it'd be OSL - VIE - ORD - SFO, but it wouldn't price. Think it's too many segments. I'd be okay dropping either OSL-VIE or ORD-SFO)

Why did you put "open-jaw" after VIE-ORD? It appears your OJ is LHR/VIE. Do you mean that you are stopping for more than 24 hours between ORD and SFO? Because that would not be allowed.

If there is no stopover at ORD, it is technically legal. Nonetheless, I'm not surprised you're getting pushback. Trying to book SFO-HKG via Europe, especially in both directions, is likely to spark resistance.

ac737 Dec 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22046150)
Why did you put "open-jaw" after VIE-ORD? It appears your OJ is LHR/VIE. Do you mean that you are stopping for more than 24 hours between ORD and SFO? Because that would not be allowed.

If there is no stopover at ORD, it is technically legal. Nonetheless, I'm not surprised you're getting pushback. Trying to book SFO-HKG via Europe, especially in both directions, is likely to spark resistance.

Yeah what I meant was the stopover/open jaw is between LHR/VIE (where I'll be spending >24hrs at). Right now I have it on hold as HKG-BKK-LHR, LHR-YVR-SFO which I didn't get any pushback on.

Kacee Dec 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ac737 (Post 22046176)
Yeah what I meant was the stopover/open jaw is between LHR/VIE (where I'll be spending >24hrs at). Right now I have it on hold as HKG-BKK-LHR, LHR-YVR-SFO which I didn't get any pushback on.

Well if you have the patience you can keep trying. Although I personally would not try to route the outbound to HKG through Europe and Japan. That is just a huge waste of time.

ac737 Dec 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22046208)
Well if you have the patience you can keep trying. Although I personally would not try to route the outbound to HKG through Europe and Japan. That is just a huge waste of time.

Got it - thanks for the info.

As for the outbound routing… just wanted to really try LH F and the LH FCT so… couldn't help myself :D

tadtv Dec 30, 2013 1:23 pm

RT open jaw vs 2 one ways difference?

What is the difference between booking an international roundtrip with an open jaw vs two one ways? I'm trying to transfer miles between accounts to get a trip and not sure which way to xfer miles. Dont really want 1/2 a trip from my account and the rest from my wife's. BUt hate paying $15 per every thousand to xfer miles. thanks for thoughts.

mahasamatman Dec 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tadtv (Post 22051567)
What is the difference between booking an international roundtrip with an open jaw vs two one ways?

The primary differences are that you cannot get a stopover on a one-way, and if you have to make changes or redeposit, you need to pay twice (assuming you don't have sufficient status to avoid fees).

Originally Posted by tadtv (Post 22051567)
Dont really want 1/2 a trip from my account and the rest from my wife's.

If you don't need the stopover and are confident you won't need to make changes, there's no particular reason to avoid this.

iluv2fly Jan 1, 2014 9:24 pm

Starting a new thread for 2014:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2014-a.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA