Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what are the odds of later this year seeing a 3 class plane on EWR-HKG or EWR-NRT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what are the odds of later this year seeing a 3 class plane on EWR-HKG or EWR-NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help in advance, given how PMUA has chosen to carefully align their F product on routes that can sustain it, what are the odds of later this year seeing a 3 class plane on EWR-HKG or EWR-NRT? Would NYC have more of a market for it than ORD? Thanks. -UpstateFlyer

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 13, 2012 at 4:09 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
Thanks for your help in advance, given how PMUA has chosen to carefully align their F product on routes that can sustain it, what are the odds of later this year seeing a 3 class plane on EWR-HKG or EWR-NRT? Would NYC have more of a market for it than ORD? Thanks. -UpstateFlyer
I know CX is looking at a EWR-HKG flight, but the rumor is the start date has been delayed. I think, when (and if) CX moves in to go out of EWR, then the chances go up that UA will put a 3-cabin on this route.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
If this should happen (and I'm willing to bet there's a chance), it will happen after the PMCO F/As at the EWR base are trained on the PMUA 3-cabin 772. And that'll happen once the labor negotiations between the UA and CO F/As are all sorted out. Who knows how long that will take.

IIRC, these routes are premium heavy, partially because everyone wants to be in a lie-flat seat for the 16 hour journey around the world. UA's ORD-HKG route does very well because a) it's Chicago and b) it sees traffic from East Coast folks connecting at ORD.

These two Continental routes would be my leading candidates for 3-class 777 service.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itstimetofly
These two Continental routes would be my leading candidates for 3-class 777 service.
Are the PMUA 777s capable of the EWR-HKG route?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Probably with a significant payload penalty. Which is why ORD-HKG is actually on their 744 and not a 772. If anything, the EWR-HKG may switch to a 744 instead. Flight time and distance are similar from EWR and from ORD, and the 744 has a marginally higher cruising speed.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Thanks for your help in advance, given how PMUA has chosen to carefully align their F product on routes
PMUA put International F on all their Int'l routes outside of NA/Mexico. They weren't selective about it.

I used to think new UA would do things like upguage to 747 EWR-HKG but I now think they are going to phase out F alongside phasing out all PMUA wide body aircraft.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I could see IAD-NRT going to 2-cabin and EWR-NRT going 3-cabin, perhaps. SFO/ORD seem to do well enough and I could see having it on EWR-HKG as well, but given some of the moves we've already seen, who knows?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Probably with a significant payload penalty. Which is why ORD-HKG is actually on their 744 and not a 772.
Correct. The PMUA 777's are P&W powered, and these have a lower thrust rating (and MTOW) than the PMCO 777's which are GE powered.

The only PMUA aircraft capable of flying EWR-HKG without taking a regular weight penalty would be the 744's. Keep in mind, ORD-HKG (PMUA 744's) is notorious for taking weight penalties (passengers and cargo) when wind conditions are unfavorable.

There is/was a pretty sizable thread in the PMUA forum about ORD-HKG being a bump-fest. It's a favorite route for those seeking VDB's.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warreng24
The only PMUA aircraft capable of flying EWR-HKG without taking a regular weight penalty would be the 744's
I know UA operated JFK-HKG for a few months in early 2001 with a 744. I seem to remember hearing about restrictions, though I can't find anything about it. Was I imagining things?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I know UA operated JFK-HKG for a few months in early 2001 with a 744. I seem to remember hearing about restrictions, though I can't find anything about it. Was I imagining things?
You were probably not imagining things, as restriction may indeed be needed on some flights. CX used the 744 for JFK-HKG for years, but most of their fleet has R-R RB524Gs, while UA's have PW4056 with less thrust.

As said, ORD->HKG and EWR->HKG has similar actual flight distance via Polar 2 or Polar 3, so if their 744s have occasional payload issues for ORD flights, it'd be the same for EWR.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
787 service

Originally Posted by goingbananas
I know CX is looking at a EWR-HKG flight, but the rumor is the start date has been delayed. I think, when (and if) CX moves in to go out of EWR, then the chances go up that UA will put a 3-cabin on this route.
Probably with a significant payload penalty. Which is why ORD-HKG is actually on their 744 and not a 772. If anything, the EWR-HKG may switch to a 744 instead. Flight time and distance are similar from EWR and from ORD, and the 744 has a marginally higher cruising speed.
You were probably not imagining things, as restriction may indeed be needed on some flights. CX used the 744 for JFK-HKG for years, but most of their fleet has R-R RB524Gs, while UA's have PW4056 with less thrust.

As said, ORD->HKG and EWR->HKG has similar actual flight distance via Polar 2 or Polar 3, so if their 744s have occasional payload issues for ORD flights, it'd be the same for EWR.
I think 787 service whether 2 or 3 class, will instantly position UA with excellent brand image in NYC-Asia market and put competitive pressure on other USA and Asian carriers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by npei
I think 787 service whether 2 or 3 class, will instantly position UA with excellent brand image in NYC-Asia market and put competitive pressure on other USA and Asian carriers.
Doubtful. CO already offers the same Biz class and Coach class on its 777. It's not making it any better on the 787.

ANA is doing 8 across in Coach on the 787. CO is doing 9 across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.