FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1296993-2012-lets-eat-domestic-first-businessfirst-business-class.html)

GoAmtrak Jan 30, 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by itstimetofly (Post 17919345)
I think the UA cold pasta salad with chicken is the best entree I've ever eaten on United.

Definitely one of the best. ^

Originally Posted by itstimetofly (Post 17919345)
This may have changed, but is Gate Gourmet still the contracted caterer for PMUA metal?

Yes, but CO's Chelsea Food Services will remain in the picture as well.

warreng24 Jan 31, 2012 9:25 am

Alignment of Premium Cabin Domestic Catering (UA/CO Mainline Only)

As of 01 February 2012, the catering in the domestic premium cabins will be aligned across all UA and CO flights. This includes an alignment of service standards, beverage choices, meal choices, and service items (ie lines, tableware, silverware, and drinkware).

The tentative service is as follows:
  • Flights under 219 miles - Beverage of Choice and a small pre-packaged cocktail snack (ie pretzels).
  • Flight between 220 and 699 miles - Beverage of Choice and a warm scone/muffin during breakfast hours or a snack basket during lunch, dinner, and late night hours.
  • Flights between 700 miles and 1499 miles - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices)
  • Flights over 1500 - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices) during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours with a snack basket prior to arrival. During late night hours, only a snack basket will be provided.
  • Transcon Flights - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (3 choices) during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours with a snack basket prior to arrival. During late night hours, only a snack plate will be provided with a snack basket or a warm scone/muffin (red-eyes) prior to arrival.

Additionally, EWR-SFO/LAX flights will be catered as p.s. service. No word on if this will be p.s. F, p.s. C, or a hybrid catering.

More updates to come as information is released.

GoAmtrak Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm

^ to 3 choices on transcons.

Originally Posted by warreng24 (Post 17922158)
[*]Flights between 700 miles and 1499 miles - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices)[*]Flights over 1500 - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices) during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours with a snack basket prior to arrival. During late night hours, only a snack basket will be provided.

Does this mean nothing but a snack basket on any flight shorter than a transcon departing after 7 PM? :eek:

nevansm Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

As of 01 February 2012, the catering in the domestic premium cabins will be aligned across all UA and CO flights. This includes an alignment of service standards, beverage choices, meal choices, and service items (ie lines, tableware, silverware, and drinkware).

• Flights under 219 miles - Beverage of Choice and a small pre-packaged cocktail snack (ie pretzels).
  • Flight between 220 and 699 miles - Beverage of Choice and a warm scone/muffin during breakfast hours or a snack basket during lunch, dinner, and late night hours.
  • Flights between 700 miles and 1499 miles - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices)
  • Flights over 1500 - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (2 choices) during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours with a snack basket prior to arrival. During late night hours, only a snack basket will be provided.
  • Transcon Flights - Beverage of Choice with warm nut service and a meal service (3 choices) during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours with a snack basket prior to arrival. During late night hours, only a snack plate will be provided with a snack basket or a warm scone/muffin (red-eyes) prior to arrival.

Additionally, EWR-SFO/LAX flights will be catered as p.s. service. No word on if this will be p.s. F, p.s. C, or a hybrid catering.

^^ to 3 choices too!

USFdonWill Jan 31, 2012 12:45 pm

^ to three choices...for now (pending what the selection will be). Hopefully a non-chicken option for lunch.

cesco.g Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 17923504)
Does this mean nothing but a snack basket on any flight shorter than a transcon departing after 7 PM? :eek:

Worse, I think it applies to all flights, incl transcons!

GoAmtrak Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 17923618)
Worse, I think it applies to all flights, incl transcons!

No, it says late-night transcons get the snack plate, which is status quo. It's flights such as late ORD-SFO or red-eye SFO-ORD that I'm worried about. :(

smashr Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

This could range anywhere from 'great!' to 'terribad!' depending on the definition of the following:

* breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night hours
* "snack"

If they use PMCO's narrow meal time windows AND PMCO's terribad snack plate, then this is a major downgrade.

USFdonWill Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 17923746)
No, it says late-night transcons get the snack plate, which is status quo. It's flights such as late ORD-SFO or red-eye SFO-ORD that I'm worried about. :(

I will report back about the service on the 2/2 SFO-ORD red-eye. I am hoping for the chicken pasta salad.

United757 Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm

From what I'm reading, it seems they will get rid of food service on the late evening departures like the 8PM ORD-SEA or the 9PM IAH-SEA. :(

FlightNurse Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Is a meal really needed on a 8pm flight going eastbound or a 9PM flight going westbound? A nice snack basket should be good enough. It appears UA has made some changes to the east bound MCO-LAX flight, early last year it departed MCO at 715pm and dinner was served, then changed to 755pm departure and only a snack basket was offered, now its back to a dinner flight.. I have wonder why it isn't going to be catered as a transcon...

Originally Posted by United757 (Post 17924044)
From what I'm reading, it seems they will get rid of food service on the late evening departures like the 8PM ORD-SEA or the 9PM IAH-SEA. :(

gdemander Jan 31, 2012 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=FlightNurse:17926230]Is a meal really needed on a 8pm flight going eastbound or a 9PM flight going westbound? A nice snack basket should be good enough./QUOTE]

Yes.

Of course everyone's travel patterns differ, but I am often on the 225 IAD-SFO leaving at 10 pm. I leave directly from work and make it to the gate as it is boarding. On a flight over 5 hours, a snack box is not what I am looking for.

You may not have meant including transcons, but for westbound flights after 9 I would still prefer the cold plate than a snack box.

SFO777 Jan 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 17926230)
Is a meal really needed on a 8pm flight going eastbound or a 9PM flight going westbound?

Why not? If you arrive at the airport an hour before departure and leave home/office a half hour before that, that's 90 minutes before departure. Unless you live in PSP, who eats dinner at 5:30p or 6pm? Unlike UA, AA understands this.

mlx52 Jan 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Any word on meal priority ranking?

Based on conversations with a few PMUA FA's they have said that only GS pax will receive preference, the rest will be front to back, like PMCO.

FriendlySkies Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by mlx52 (Post 17927010)
Any word on meal priority ranking?

Based on conversations with a few PMUA FA's they have said that only GS pax will receive preference, the rest will be front to back, like PMCO.

If so, :td: :td: :td:

bolding mine

I look forward to this change! IAD-MCO and v.v is 758 miles, and one or two passes with the snack basket isn't enough, especially in the early morning.