FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1296993-2012-lets-eat-domestic-first-businessfirst-business-class.html)

FlyinHawaiian Feb 2, 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 17934003)
Writing onboard my home away from home, where the normal snack service has been replaced with full dinner (C): Highlights:

-new menu, with better paper

-three entrees, all new, look like pmCO based. Grilled Pork Chop, chicken Osso bucco style, cheese cannelloni

-pmUA Style appetizer and salad

-garlic bread or roll

-ice cream sundae

Finally, one change I like. The old snack wasn't bad, but this is a real upgrade. Credit where due...good job UA.

PS: new blue straws in the drinks too.

Nice to hear; the last JFK-LAX flight is the one I often take (I posted the chicken/pasta salad I had a few weeks ago upthread) and a full meal is a welcome sight indeed.

One of my co-workers was on your flight last night in the back of the bus; I hope he was able to use the drink chits I gave to him.

Brian Feb 2, 2012 10:43 am

Much improved food quality

The food quality of the dinner was very much improved. This was the best PS dinner I've seen since the very first months of the service.

The appetizer was a bit smaller than those days, but not by too much. It was air dried beef, and a marinated cherry tomato and mozzarella ball on a spear.

The salad dressing was a new brand of ranch, and was better than the old dressings. Salad quality was about the same, but three pieces of tomato, plus croutons in a bag.

The main pork chop was huge and with a frenched bone in. It was perfectly cooked and really good. It had two excellent sides.. a sort of dressing muffin, and broccolini. Bread choices were new... and I was offered two pieces in the first pass.

Dessert was an ice cream sundae with four different toppings choices in a new glass bowl.

There was a lot of buzz about the dinner on this flight. More than a few people in C were surprised. The flight attendants were, too. They had no idea till they boarded that they were doing a full dinner on the 8:30PM flight.

I'm irritated at United for a hundred things right now... but this is a big step up. I'm usually on this flight once every other week, and it really improves the experience.

BlissWorld Feb 2, 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 17934964)
...FA taking orders told the galley FA not to bother passing them out, so they didn't.

I heard the complaining in the galley that yogurt was dropped - they said this is "the new UA"...

As always, incompetent flight attendants in full force on Gondinendal. Yogurt has not been part of CO transcon service for many years. Midcon gets yogurt + hot dish/cereal with a bowl of fruit. Transcon only gets the fruit bowl plus a choice of 3 entrees, usually eggs or french toaste with ham/pineapple or cereal. Who are they kidding? They new UA is the old CO, and the old UA is what CO will never be :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 17934964)
...never once did anybody ask if you wanted anything. Very mediocre...

Nothing new on CO.

channa Feb 2, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 17937672)
Haven't see the Egg/Sausage McMuffin on UA before and PDX is my home base...it's always been the omelette flight from PDX-DEN...So the new UA now must have 2 different "sizes" of breakfasts...small (for shorter flights like this) and the regular size (omelette) for the other flights like PDX-ORD.

That's the old the CO standard for shorter-haul breakfast flights. So that's a net downgrade on these ones for PMUA flyers.

United757 Feb 2, 2012 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by jraindc (Post 17933394)
2/1

5:45 A.M.
PDX-DEN
Flight Number #789
A-320

Choice of cereal, yogurt and fruit or Egg/Sausage McMuffin with Fruit
Both meals were followed with a hot cinnamon roll. Is this part of the new standard?

Nice meal and service.

Was there no yogurt w/ the hot option? Is that gone now? CO had yogurt in a bowl with their breakfasts. I know that recently UA got rid of the little tub of yogurt with their breakfasts.

qukslvr619 Feb 2, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't get it. The transcon breakfast is essentially the midcon but without yogurt....oh wait it's played differently, you get a menu, and sparkling wine. But really it doesn't make sense. If the entrees in the transcon were different then I could understand the loss of the yogurt....but where is the logic here. Cut my yogurt but give me crappy sparkling wine???

cesco.g Feb 2, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 17938249)
The food quality of the dinner was very much improved. This was the best PS dinner I've seen since the very first months of the service.

The appetizer was a bit smaller than those days, but not by too much. It was air dried beef, and a marinated cherry tomato and mozzarella ball on a spear.

Glad to know, things are up. Last month I had the dreaded spring roll for appetizer and a mediocre salmon.

How was the wine selection? Did bubbly make it back?

Brian Feb 2, 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 17940123)
Glad to know, things are up. Last month I had the dreaded spring roll for appetizer and a mediocre salmon.

How was the wine selection? Did bubbly make it back?

Yeah, the old meal have been relegated to the dust bin. Good riddance.

I'm a Bourbon drinker, so all I noted was that a) the wines were different... didn't notice what they were serving, and b) Jim Beam was still my only choice.

rch4u Feb 2, 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by sb3 (Post 17937824)
01/24/2012 and 01/28/2012
UA 972 - SFO -ORD
Business - 3 class Intl aircraft
Breakfast and snack.
There was not a choice for breakfast. Everyone got eggs/sausage with small fruit bowl and croissant. When did they do away with options?

2 years ago for non-p.s. domestic Business. Where have you been?

FlightNurse Feb 2, 2012 6:19 pm

On a 3 class bird, J wont get a meal choice, however you get a meal choice in F. Nothing new here.

Originally Posted by sb3 (Post 17937824)
UA 972 - SFO -ORD
Breakfast and snack.
There was not a choice for breakfast. Everyone got eggs/sausage with small fruit bowl and croissant. When did they do away with options? I miss the fruit/cereal option.
Snacks - choice of banana, chocolate, pop chips, clif bar

UA 907 - ORD - SFO
Warm nuts then dinner then warm cookie. I think on 01/24 the meal was chicken piccata, no choices. I opted out. Don't recall what was served on 1/28 as I opted out again.

RobOnLI Feb 2, 2012 7:04 pm

2/2/12
UA515 SEA-ORD
1:14pm Departure
A320

Only offered a cold pasta and chicken plate with fruit and a piece of cheese. Also had a sweetie for dessert (plastic wrapped cookie of some kind).

I don't understand why the 11:30am departure SEA-ORD is a "lunch" flight but the 1:15pm departure is a "snack" flight. Makes no sense to me.

The food was edible.

-RM

rch4u Feb 2, 2012 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 17941770)
I don't understand why the 11:30am departure SEA-ORD is a "lunch" flight but the 1:15pm departure is a "snack" flight.

... because that's the policy for flights under 2300 miles. Read it:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51501,00.html

jraindc Feb 2, 2012 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by United757 (Post 17939938)
Was there no yogurt w/ the hot option? Is that gone now? CO had yogurt in a bowl with their breakfasts. I know that recently UA got rid of the little tub of yogurt with their breakfasts.

My error. Yes, both choices came with a small bowl of yogurt.

RobOnLI Feb 2, 2012 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 17941910)
... because that's the policy for flights under 2300 miles. Read it:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51501,00.html

Thanks but your link provides no information whatsoever to my question.

SEA-ORD at 11:30am gets lunch. SEA-ORD at 1:15pm gets a "snack". Both are the *same* distance.

That page you sent me says nothing about what is considered a meal time on UA. I asked the question earlier in this thread and no one replied.

-RM

kevinsac Feb 2, 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by JackieC2 (Post 17918562)
Any one know what's served on the ORD-FRA flight? Any ice cream??

Read the title of this thread ... Then go look for the international thread