FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1194901-consolidated-iah-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

YadiMolina Feb 19, 2024 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36012457)
till I saw the blocked off passage :mad: Really hope they keep that connector tunnel post construction

Looks like it:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...18c1276a85.png

A colleague affiliated with the expansion said traffic and disruptions there are going to get worse.

One can see updates and progress on the Houston City Council website.

shady Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

EU->MEX connection 1h54m doable?

Hello everyone.
UA has cancelled my original routing and my option now is MUC-IAH-QRO. Both flights are with UA but connection time in IAH is only 1h54m. Is this doable connection time for non-US citizen, no global entry, that barely speaks english?

JimInOhio Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

Originally Posted by shady (Post 36091602)
Hello everyone.
UA has cancelled my original routing and my option now is MUC-IAH-QRO. Both flights are with UA but connection time in IAH is only 1h54m. Is this doable connection time for non-US citizen, no global entry, that barely speaks english?

You should have enough time. Use the CBP Mobile Passport Control app on your phone. Luggage will be checked straight to QRO and you won’t have to claim it at IAH for customs.

shady Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 36091690)
You should have enough time. Use the CBP Mobile Passport Control app on your phone. Luggage will be checked straight to QRO and you won’t have to claim it at IAH for customs.

Thanks! I will check the app. When I use the app, does one still go to a manned desk or use a kiosk? Travellers barely speak English so I prefer a manned desk, where they can give agent a written letter, summarizing their intent of entry to US.
i did not realize luggage does not need to be collected in IAH. That helps a lot.

JimInOhio Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am

Originally Posted by shady (Post 36091722)
Thanks! I will check the app. When I use the app, does one still go to a manned desk or use a kiosk? Travellers barely speak English so I prefer a manned desk, where they can give agent a written letter, summarizing their intent of entry to US.
i did not realize luggage does not need to be collected in IAH. That helps a lot.

I have Global Entry so haven’t used the MPC process. What is the native language of the traveler(s)?

cmhua777 Mar 19, 2024 5:17 am

Hello everyone.

That sounds like a popular “auto” route….

It would be plenty of time in most circumstances. Immigration and security lines can be quite long at the time of the MUC arrival (peak time).

JimInOhio Mar 19, 2024 5:39 am

It looks like MPC now supports French and Spanish in addition to English (obviously).

Maybe someone quite familiar with IAH immigration can comment on whether they have a dedicated MPC queue.

OP: Are the travelers from a Visa Waiver country? I think that’s a requirement to use MPC.

shady Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 36091763)
It looks like MPC now supports French and Spanish in addition to English (obviously).

Maybe someone quite familiar with IAH immigration can comment on whether they have a dedicated MPC queue.

OP: Are the travelers from a Visa Waiver country? I think that’s a requirement to use MPC.

Yes, they are travelling on ESTA.

Edit: seems only returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA are egible.

JimInOhio Mar 19, 2024 6:36 am

Originally Posted by shady (Post 36091789)
Yes, they are travelling on ESTA.

Edit: seems only returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA are egible.

I don't know what CBP means with that wording. I suppose it could mean you can't use MPC for the first time you enter the USA but that's just a wild guess.

To answer your previous question about kiosk vs officer --
Think of it as "both". Your phone acts as the kiosk but then you bring it to an immigration officer.

FlyingHoustonian Mar 19, 2024 6:40 am

Hello everyone.

If everything is on time they should be fine but will not have a lot of free time most likely. As others noted bags check through int'l-to-int'l at IAH on UA so you just go down stairs walk past baggage claim and exit customs to the security recheck area for TSA.

If you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.

QRO is normally mainline so terminal B is not going to be used.

Vivaaerobus also flies IAH to QRO on some days so just make sure the traveller is not looking only at the city on the departure board but the airline, time, and flight number. Most US boards go by city alphabetical whereas in Europe it is usually by time.

If the traveller speaks German there are several CBP staff that do at IAH.

Kensterfly Mar 19, 2024 8:34 am

IAH to QRO

[f you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.]

UA QRO flights are scattered all over C, E, and occasionally D. E and D are easy.
I think high number C gates are more quickly accessed by walking from the arrival hall. Low number by Skytram.

Skytrams run every few minutes but have are extremely crowded these days. With road construction on the airport, and Terminal E checkin shut down, many people are arriving and going through security at A or B, then tramming to C/E gates.

Hopefully, the travelers will be sitting near front of plane and can walk well. If the arriving plane is on time, they should be okay.

They should keep in mind that the 1:54 connecting time is actually considerably shorter than that. It can take ten minutes or more to get off the arrival plane. And the gates for the departure will close at least ten minutes before pushback. So, consider it about 90 minutes.

FlyingHoustonian Mar 19, 2024 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 36092147)
[[color=#333333]f you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.]

UA QRO flights are scattered all over C, E, and occasionally D. E and D are easy.
I think high number C gates are more quickly accessed by walking from the arrival hall. Low number by Skytram.

Skytrams run every few minutes but have are extremely crowded these days. With road construction on the airport, and Terminal E checkin shut down, many people are arriving and going through security at A or B, then tramming to C/E gates.

Hopefully, the travelers will be sitting near front of plane and can walk well. If the arriving plane is on time, they should be okay.

They should keep in mind that the 1:54 connecting time is actually considerably shorter than that. It can take ten minutes or more to get off the arrival plane. And the gates for the departure will close at least ten minutes before pushback. So, consider it about 90 minutes.

It depends on how fast one walks, type of carry-on, physical ability, etc. but if C north, the skytram is slightly faster these days, especially as construction has moving walkways in D shutdown still and some gone(as of yesterday), crowding notwithstanding.

The biggest limfac is the TSA line at the post customs, non-public checkpoint D/E checkpoint.

Normally ESTA holders get through CBP fairly quickly these days, but of course, there are always one-offs one cannot prepare for. That said, if everything is on time, there should not be any issues.

Worst case, since MUC arrives only in time for the last QRO flight of the day, they rebook on one of the two early flights the next day. Always have a back-up plan, but that timing should work.

If the inbound flight from MUC is delayed more than 30 minutes, the chances of making it to an on-time departure for QRO decrease very significantly for non-GE users.

blitzen Apr 14, 2024 8:07 am

Hi,

planning to take MUC-IAH-PHX beginning August arriving at 4:30pm / all UA/ Business- First / Global Entry / Clear
Flight to PHX leaves 1:35h later - from what I read it sounds as if that is no problem.
Any Logic where the flights arrive / depart from terminal wise? Or is that (seemingly) random?

Kensterfly Apr 14, 2024 9:03 am

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 36159427)
Hi,

planning to take MUC-IAH-PHX beginning August arriving at 4:30pm / all UA/ Business- First / Global Entry / Clear
Flight to PHX leaves 1:35h later - from what I read it sounds as if that is no problem.
Any Logic where the flights arrive / depart from terminal wise? Or is that (seemingly) random?

PHX departures are all over the map. Looking at today, departures are out of A, B, C, and E.

You’ll most likely arrive in E. That’s a busy time at Immigration but GE is usually pretty quick at IAH. Since you’re sitting up front, you’ll be among the first to get off. Walk fast to Immigration. At least you can be among the first off your plane to hit GE.

If you have only a carry on bag, that should save you half an hour. Hope your inbound is on time!

kirkwoodj Apr 14, 2024 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 36159427)
Hi,

No worries if inbound anywhere near on time