FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1194901-consolidated-iah-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

YadiMolina Jan 28, 2019 8:38 am

I went C1 to E17 on Saturday with a 0:58 connection. Was in the front row of Y on a 737. Took the train, walked briskly, got to E17 in the middle of Group 1 boarding for an intl flight.

764toHI Jan 28, 2019 8:38 am

I've done the opposite before, E to C North with a 36 minute connection to the last IAH-LGA of the day. Inbound flight arrived 15 minutes early and made it with plenty of time to spare.

JimInOhio Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am

I've yet to see these doom and gloom scenarios around T-15 play out. Just last week I was on a flight leaving DEN where the last passenger on was at T+2. They knew she was coming off a late inbound and we waited until she was on board before closing the door.

hockey7711 Jan 28, 2019 8:43 am

I'm hoping for an early arrival into IAH.
I don't go through there often so I'm not that familiar.
I did not realize there is a train between C and E.
Do I have to go to an upper level to catch it?

jsloan Jan 28, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 30710069)
I've yet to see these doom and gloom scenarios around T-15 play out. Just last week I was on a flight leaving DEN where the last passenger on was at T+2. They knew she was coming off a late inbound and we waited until she was on board before closing the door.

UA will sometimes hold a flight, but you can't count on them doing so, and you have no recourse if they don't. And they definitely aren't going to hold a first class seat -- they will absolutely have upgraded someone into OP's seat at T-15 (assuming the outbound is departing on-time). I see that all the time; I've actually gotten someone's F seat when they arrived at about T-12 and I'd already been upgraded into it. They do happen.

And, as mentioned, they will offload passengers, if necessary, to avoid paying VDB -- although I did have one wonderful gate agent at DEN have me wait until the last possible moment to board as the #1 volunteer while they waited for a late connecting family. His rationale was, "I'd rather have a volunteer spend the night in Denver than have someone forced to do it." The family didn't make it -- we assumed they gave up when they saw how late their flight had arrived -- but it was a great gesture.

Originally Posted by hockey7711 (Post 30710076)

Yes. The train is upstairs, airside, and runs every few minutes. There is a single, consolidated stop for D/E that arrives fairly close to E15.

764toHI Jan 28, 2019 8:50 am

Yes, the skytrain is one level above the gates on the north side.

Originally Posted by hockey7711 (Post 30710076)
I'm hoping for an early arrival into IAH.
I don't go through there often so I'm not that familiar.
I did not realize there is a train between C and E.

EmailKid Jan 28, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 30710107)

Yes, the skytrain is one level above the gates on the north side.

A couple of things .... or three.

First off, minor point, but Boening does not make 787-900, they make 787-9.

It's called SkyWay to distinguish between original below SubWay that is outside of security. Fun ride IF you find yourself outside of security.

And yes, there is the SkyWay between E and C, but while I don't have gates memorized, it can be much faster to walk between E and C depending on gates. Suggest looking at the UA magazine or App while in flight to locate best plan @:-)

hockey7711 Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am

Of course

789, a typo on my part. Too early in the morning.

pmarrsouth Feb 1, 2019 1:20 pm

Just got into IAH from PTY (UA into E). Going onto YYZ with AC. So I just headed upstairs to United connecting flights after getting through customs. There was no-one checking boarding passes or ID at all, so I walked off the plane in IAH, thru immigration & customs to "landside" and went back airside proper without showing any onward boarding pass. Surprising tbh

The last time I connected thru IAH was ~2 years ago, and you definitely had to show ID & boarding pass to TSA at the top of the escalators to TSA before being permitted into the security scan

yoyo Feb 27, 2019 3:54 pm

How and how much time is needed to move from Terminal A gate 2 to Terminal C gate 43? It was originally 1 hr connection time but due to united flight delays now it is only 40 minutes. Are they all on the air side so we dont need to go through security again? Thanks.

joe_miami Feb 27, 2019 3:56 pm

All airside. You should make it if you hustle.

uvasag Feb 27, 2019 4:23 pm

What does airside mean?

joe_miami Feb 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by uvasag (Post 30829110)
What does airside mean?

Airside = after security.
Land side = before security.

yoyo Feb 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30829026)
All airside. You should make it if you hustle.

made it. Thank you!

ali7204 Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm

I need some help in deciding to keep the following flight or try to change it.

Coming from AMS - IAH and connecting to EWR approximately 90 minutes later. I have global entry (but will be carrying a luggage) and sitting in business class. Would 90 minutes be enough to clear GE/Pickup luggage/clear customs/Recheck bags and make it to EWR bound flight in 90 minutes (mostly likely from Term C but it can be Term E.